• Started by Monty Cash Music
  • Monty Cash Music
  • Rotisseur

• September 08, 2020, 10:06:17
    • inside the atomic fabric of a page, only when it is turning
  • more
The Tool Man - Original Song
on: December 16, 2019, 16:40:43
Here's a song I put together today with the help of my Zoom, I wrote it about a month ago while staying with my friend in Letterkenny, Ireland. I've got a metal-esque fetish going at the moment and I keep pumping out numbers like this.

Let me know what you think! I'd especially like tips on levels and mastering. Thanks

https://soundcloud.com/montycashmusic/the-tool-man-original-song
Find updates on my travels and music on http://peakd.com/@montycashmusic

• LePlongeur
  • Sous Chef
  • In Tartiflette we trust

• Today at 06:59:49
    • Greater Amsterdam
  • more
Re: The Tool Man - Original Song
Reply #1 on: December 16, 2019, 22:00:11
Hi there friend,
Iíve witnessed the transformation of a very niche act (tyrannosaurus Rex) to a (very sexy - so iíve Been told) and million selling TRex.
And for the sake of Ďletís be gentle first and honest laterí I wonít comment on my opinions about TRex.

What I meant is this:
July 1970 was on the verge in the transformation of one phase to the next. It took a massive amount of courage and they pullled it off.

The same kind of musicality is what I hear now. Add  my infamous being-pulled-towards-acts-on-the-fringes and you have a picture of why I love this to pieces.

I hope youíll stay with us and develop what you do in a way you see fit.
And I know that @Leonard Scaper and I were with you @Monti Karus , and were present when it first occurred. Or happened. Thatís what u get if you let non English speakers do the talking.

Welcome, welcome, welcome.
Next song please.
Kind regards, Gus

Reply #2 on: December 16, 2019, 22:22:34
Hey @Monti Karus ......I think this sounds very good. It has a wonderful live sound....you have created a very cool space with the recording with an excellent soundstage feel both with width and depth. The levels sound just right to me as well.

I really like your vocal presentation both performance and mix-wise. This is good stuff all around. Very cool to get such a powerful feel with just an acoustic guitar and your vocals (mostly).

Oh....and Welcome to The Kitchen!!!! take a look around at some of the other threads and see what resonates with you. We are a pretty eclectic bunch here, as you will see.
"The main thing is to have a gutsy approach....but use your head." Julia Child

"In a world of robotic conformity, the only originality left in music is the imperfections" Eric Craptone

"Special thanks to Steve Gleason for making me who I am today." Leonard Scaper

Lenny's Tunes: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_music.cfm?bandID=540680

https://soundcloud.com/vincentgleason

Reply #3 on: December 16, 2019, 23:40:37
@Monti Karus This reminds me a little of Alice in Chains, when they were into the unplugged sessions for Mtv. It's a good song that has a threatening and depressed undertone that works quite well, just like AiC had at the time. The only critical note I could add is that you might need to straighten the timing a bit, as I think it will turn the song from quite nice to very good.
Pleudoniem: composer; bass guitarist; guitarist; singer; drummer; tap-guitarist - o, and yes... erm- a bit of keys. Open for collabs.
SoundCloud Page: https://soundcloud.com/pleudoniem

Reply #4 on: December 16, 2019, 23:59:08
@Monti Karus

Sorry man. Liking all my songs by serially clicking them without listening to them is NOT appreciated  >:(

• Monty Cash Music
  • Rotisseur

• more
Reply #5 on: December 17, 2019, 19:07:16
@Monti Karus

Sorry man. Liking all my songs by serially clicking them without listening to them is NOT appreciated  >:(

Heya, sorry you're offended by this. I did listen to one. I thought you might like the traffic.

If someone did the same to me, I would actually appreciate it. Thanks.

• Monty Cash Music
  • Rotisseur

• more
Reply #6 on: December 17, 2019, 19:13:05
@Monti Karus This reminds me a little of Alice in Chains, when they were into the unplugged sessions for Mtv. It's a good song that has a threatening and depressed undertone that works quite well, just like AiC had at the time. The only critical note I could add is that you might need to straighten the timing a bit, as I think it will turn the song from quite nice to very good.

Ok thanks for your feedback. I appreciate you taking the time to listen.

Timing is something I have trouble with generally, I am just getting used to using a metronome for my self recording. There was a stage when I was against metronomes because I believed that songs should naturally speed up and slow down. I realised last year when in the studio in Skopje recording the Kelebek Evrimi material that this does not work very well for recorded music. And getting that 'live' feeling is next to impossible in a studio. Live music and recorded music should be kept in separate boats. Recorded music like a painting that you change and add to and perfect. Live music is something that can only be had in the moment with the energy available in that moment.

• Monty Cash Music
  • Rotisseur

• more
Reply #7 on: December 17, 2019, 19:15:41
Hi there friend,
Iíve witnessed the transformation of a very niche act (tyrannosaurus Rex) to a (very sexy - so iíve Been told) and million selling TRex.
And for the sake of Ďletís be gentle first and honest laterí I wonít comment on my opinions about TRex.

What I meant is this:
July 1970 was on the verge in the transformation of one phase to the next. It took a massive amount of courage and they pullled it off.

The same kind of musicality is what I hear now. Add  my infamous being-pulled-towards-acts-on-the-fringes and you have a picture of why I love this to pieces.

I hope youíll stay with us and develop what you do in a way you see fit.
And I know that @Leonard Scaper and I were with you @Monti Karus , and were present when it first occurred. Or happened. Thatís what u get if you let non English speakers do the talking.

Welcome, welcome, welcome.
Next song please.
Kind regards, Gus

Thanks for your kind words. I am returning to a musical style I wrote when I was younger, this acoustic metal feel. I get a lot out of making this type of music at the moment.

• Monty Cash Music
  • Rotisseur

• more
Reply #8 on: December 17, 2019, 19:17:46
Hey @Monti Karus ......I think this sounds very good. It has a wonderful live sound....you have created a very cool space with the recording with an excellent soundstage feel both with width and depth. The levels sound just right to me as well.

I really like your vocal presentation both performance and mix-wise. This is good stuff all around. Very cool to get such a powerful feel with just an acoustic guitar and your vocals (mostly).

Oh....and Welcome to The Kitchen!!!! take a look around at some of the other threads and see what resonates with you. We are a pretty eclectic bunch here, as you will see.

Thanks for giving me some feedback and compliments. I appreciate you taking the time to listen. It's damn hard to get people to listen to music online I find. I get really excited about something I've done, post it and share it around and three people listen to it. Thus why I take it to the street. I can scream at people! ha

For sure, I'll have a look around and see what's going on. Thanks!

Reply #9 on: December 17, 2019, 21:43:39
@Monti Karus The problem is that there are millions of musicians, and every one of them puts a lot of effort in his/her work and wants to be listened to. Unfortunately, people do not self-evidently listen to you, even if you are very skilled. To put it bluntly, the world doesn't care much for what you do, unless it knows you. Many very talented artists will always remain in the shadows. Sad, but true.

The odds of being listened to when you are not a great name are in fact quite dim. Sorry to disappoint you.

But here's the Kitchen. There are a great number of very talented musicians here, and the great majority is not widely known, except possibly in the kitchen or in their SoundCloud community. The kitchen is nice to them, it listens to them, and it is honest to them. And that is ok. Many artists just like to make good music, they don't really care for fame in return, but they care for the friendship it gives them. I know that the kitchen has many such artists, who are very creative, very skilled, but they just like to share among friends, and that's it.

And yes, some of them DO get a lot of exposure, but chance and connections usually play an intangible role there.

So, what to do if you want to be listened to none the less? Well, it all boils down on community building. Develop a community around you, and share and listen to what it does. Encourage what it does, but also be fair and critical to it, so that what you tell them is honest and useful to it. It is like building a musical friendship, but online. Your community will gradually expand if you care to listen to what it does, as it will listen to you in return, like friends. That takes a lot of time and effort, it will only grow slowly, and fame is NOT the word that makes it go, but 'community' is.

You won't be remembered if you keep changing your name.

Also, liking songs without listening to them is like paying in a currency that has no value. You wouldn't feed empty candy wrappings to a frriend, would you? O my! Look how many wrappings he's got!  :blackgrin:

To close, at the risk of sounding a bit like a teacher here: timing is a musical skill that can be developed. It takes practice. It has nothing to do with studio perfectionism, it has to do with a sense of when the pacing is right, so that it gets a groove across to a listener. Timing is different from speed, they are different elements in music. Music can be high speed, but badly timed, or slow speed and well timed. What I've heard from you sounds like it shouldn't be too hard to remedy, you sound talented enough.

Trust me, there are many people in the kitchen who would be happy to help you get better with it. I've known kitcheners to be very helpful  ;)

• Michael
  • Rotisseur
  • Music Addict

• September 09, 2020, 20:47:40
    • Switzerland
    • https://soundcloud.com/michaelheider
  • more
Reply #10 on: December 17, 2019, 21:47:07
« Last Edit: December 17, 2019, 21:57:44 by Michael »
You have a very cool sound, I think.  8)
Absolutely love that raw, snarling sound of the acoustic guitar. As has been said, the level of energy you get across with just a guitar and that little drum as background is very impressive. And your vocals definitely compliment that nicely with just the right amount of grittiness in your voice.

Interesting that you labelled the song as 'acoustic metal' on SoundCloud. I am honestly not a huge fan of metal, but apparently I quite dig acoustic metal  :D (which I didn't really know was a thing - thanks for widening my musical horizon :) )

I can only listen on headphones at the moment, so any comment of mine about the mix should be taken with a grain of salt:
The levels sound absolutely fine to me. A Zoom is a handheld recording device, right? In this case especially, great sound! I felt that the higher-pitched vocal harmonies were a bit far left in the stereo field, but as I said, this impression may very well be due to my headphones.

[EDIT: would it be possible to also post the lyrics together with your song?]

• Monty Cash Music
  • Rotisseur

• more
Reply #11 on: December 17, 2019, 22:46:18
« Last Edit: December 17, 2019, 23:04:00 by Monti Karus »
@Monti Karus The problem is that there are millions of musicians, and every one of them puts a lot of effort in his/her work and wants to be listened to. Unfortunately, people do not self-evidently listen to you, even if you are very skilled. To put it bluntly, the world doesn't care much for what you do, unless it knows you. Many very talented artists will always remain in the shadows. Sad, but true.

The odds of being listened to when you are not a great name are in fact quite dim. Sorry to disappoint you.

But here's the Kitchen. There are a great number of very talented musicians here, and the great majority is not widely known, except possibly in the kitchen or in their SoundCloud community. The kitchen is nice to them, it listens to them, and it is honest to them. And that is ok. Many artists just like to make good music, they don't really care for fame in return, but they care for the friendship it gives them. I know that the kitchen has many such artists, who are very creative, very skilled, but they just like to share among friends, and that's it.

And yes, some of them DO get a lot of exposure, but chance and connections usually play an intangible role there.

So, what to do if you want to be listened to none the less? Well, it all boils down on community building. Develop a community around you, and share and listen to what it does. Encourage what it does, but also be fair and critical to it, so that what you tell them is honest and useful to it. It is like building a musical friendship, but online. Your community will gradually expand if you care to listen to what it does, as it will listen to you in return, like friends. That takes a lot of time and effort, it will only grow slowly, and fame is NOT the word that makes it go, but 'community' is.

You won't be remembered if you keep changing your name.

Also, liking songs without listening to them is like paying in a currency that has no value. You wouldn't feed empty candy wrappings to a frriend, would you? O my! Look how many wrappings he's got!  :blackgrin:

To close, at the risk of sounding a bit like a teacher here: timing is a musical skill that can be developed. It takes practice. It has nothing to do with studio perfectionism, it has to do with a sense of when the pacing is right, so that it gets a groove across to a listener. Timing is different from speed, they are different elements in music. Music can be high speed, but badly timed, or slow speed and well timed. What I've heard from you sounds like it shouldn't be too hard to remedy, you sound talented enough.

Trust me, there are many people in the kitchen who would be happy to help you get better with it. I've known kitcheners to be very helpful  ;)

Thank you for your comment and perspectives. I do appreciate it.

I do have a community of people that respect me and listen to my music. Just not online unfortunately. Yes, you are so right. There are many artists that are supremely talented that do not get the listens they deserve.

What makes being popular in music and many other creative industries is a trick of perception, and there are people that are only average musicians but are very good at this game of perception. Yet others again are naturally happy bubbly extroverts that make friends very easy.

Many people do not have the time to listen to all 84 tracks I currently have on my Monty Cash Music soundcloud. If they listen to one and like me as a musician and then proceed to like a bunch of other things as well without actually listening, it supports me. Because it supports the perception of me. Because it raises the value of my music in the algorithms making it more likely to be seen in searches and therefore to be added to playlists. Because others that come and visit that are affected by the numbers they see next to the songs will listen and put more value on it because of those numbers. Unfortunately this is how the mind and the internet works in all creative industries. While you or I do not look directly at the numbers and judge a song by this, most do. So they are not just 'wrappings' as you say, but rather, assistance in this game, because that's what it is, it's a fucking game.

I have fought long and hard against the industry and this mind game of the way things become popular and what is recognized as 'good' by the collective mind. But now instead of fighting it, I see actually this is just the way the game works. I can continue to deny it, or work with it with the rules that control it.

I don't see it as dishonest to do this for a person - to like things deliberately to raise their perceptual value online, because I have come to terms with the fact that this is how this world works. So if I like something, I want it to be heard more, I give it some traffic because it raises its perceptual value.

This subject is a long conversation.

My fan base and what I do, is at street level. I have lived primarily off street music for the last six years traveling the world. If I was to believe that my lack of listens online makes me a terrible musician, then I would have stopped long ago.

And I also am doing this for the passion. This is my life. This group and your opinions do not change that. So I am not here for a popularity contest.

I am grateful however for an opportunity to share and to also offer opinions and advice based on my life experience. We can learn from each other.

I don't know the community here. I'm not even sure if it's my thing. But I'm willing to give it a go.

I agree, a healthy community and the building of that community is a sure fire way of how to get recognition as an artist and be heard.

Maybe you'd care to know more about me before you make judgements on me and my behaviour.  ;)

Shall we shake hands and start again?

===

As for timing - I agree mostly. However, I have heard many recordings that are timed perfectly but sound dead. Thus my preference for live recordings. I realise my tastes for changing timings based on emotion of content is a niche. One thing I've learned with years of street performing is that consistent timing maintains attention.

• Monty Cash Music
  • Rotisseur

• more
Reply #12 on: December 17, 2019, 22:58:06
You have a very cool sound, I think.  8)
Absolutely love that raw, snarling sound of the acoustic guitar. As has been said, the level of energy you get across with just a guitar and that little drum as background is very impressive. And your vocals definitely compliment that nicely with just the right amount of grittiness in your voice.

Interesting that you labelled the song as 'acoustic metal' on SoundCloud. I am honestly not a huge fan of metal, but apparently I quite dig acoustic metal  :D (which I didn't really know was a thing - thanks for widening my musical horizon :) )

I can only listen on headphones at the moment, so any comment of mine about the mix should be taken with a grain of salt:
The levels sound absolutely fine to me. A Zoom is a handheld recording device, right? In this case especially, great sound! I felt that the higher-pitched vocal harmonies were a bit far left in the stereo field, but as I said, this impression may very well be due to my headphones.

[EDIT: would it be possible to also post the lyrics together with your song?]

Thanks for your kind words. I have trouble personally to keep interest in the recording process. So to remedy this, I do it all in a couple of hours. Otherwise I feel things come out the other end over produced and dead. I want to capture a piece of life in my music.

The Zoom I'm using is the h4n pro, with the multi-track function, then I put it on the computer and sort the levels of the tracks out independently. I find the microphone on this to be very good to capture that raw sound I like. I bought it a month ago and wish I got it much sooner.

Here are the lyrics you requested:

The tool man makes his noises
On display for all to see
We all live so close together
There's simply no choice for you or me
What is it simply that I've done?
What is it that you already do?
See without filters, without pain
Through the ashes and its tricks

You want honesty?
You're going to have to pay for it
All the boxes must be set
The boxes must be set
The first shall be last
The last shall be first
All the boxes must be filled
No box can be missed

So you want wisdom now you say
For divinity, that's rich
There's payments for everything in this world
There's heaven and hell to pay for this
Throw a thick rope around reality
Deeper and deeper down this pit
Perception is everything you say
Push the limit and you fall

You want answers?
All the boxes must be set
The boxes must be set
The first shall be last
The last shall be first
All the boxes must be filled
No box can be missed

The void invites display
Everybody come get your fix
The chasm is deep and wide
How far before you spread your wings
The beauty of the dark is realised
Fall with rhythm and finess
A picture perfect world we make
Where every cretin gets their cake

You want truth?
Every cretin gets their cake
No cretin can be missed
The first shall be last
The last shall be first
All the bellies must be filled
No belly can be missed

Reply #13 on: December 17, 2019, 23:00:49

:ok: :ok: :ok: :ok: :ok:

8)

As for timing - I agree mostly. However, I have heard many recordings that are timed perfectly but sound dead. Thus my preference for live recordings. I realise my tastes for changing timings based on emotion of content is a niche. One thing I've learned with years of street performing is that consistent timing maintains attention.

I record to a click track in my DAW. But I play pretty loose with it. After tracking the first track I get rid of it and record the other instrument much looser. That way the song retains a very organic feel while still giving the listener a groove to hold on to.

• Monty Cash Music
  • Rotisseur

• more
Reply #14 on: December 17, 2019, 23:09:14
« Last Edit: December 17, 2019, 23:13:33 by Monti Karus »

:ok: :ok: :ok: :ok: :ok:

8)

I record to a click track in my DAW. But I play pretty loose with it. After tracking the first track I get rid of it and record the other instrument much looser. That way the song retains a very organic feel while still giving the listener a groove to hold on to.

I did do this with the initial guitar track, I am still however getting used to using this method. [edit - I mean getting used to using a click track specifically]

I've learned things the hard way over longer than a 10 year period about this timing thing. For recording, multitrack one track at a time, gives the best quality I'm learning. It was also the preferred method of the studio owner in Skopje, but I insisted on doing live multitrack. The amount of time wasted in editing because of this decision increased recording time by almost double. It's a long hard road to swallow false opinions that are deep rooted and just get on with it!

But finally some light at the end of the tunnel!

clip
A Brand New Tool

Started by MrBouzouki on The kitchen cafť

3 Replies
Last post September 23, 2019, 00:34:47
by Vince
xx
Better Man (My first song posted here) :)

Started by LostBoy on Songs for review

15 Replies
Last post June 17, 2016, 23:45:48
by LostBoy
xx
Better Man - ONE MINUTE SONG

Started by habiTat on Songs for review

3 Replies
Last post September 04, 2014, 21:26:06
by Dutchbeat
xx
Tool - Sober cover

Started by Kristijonas on Live performances

8 Replies
Last post January 21, 2019, 07:39:19
by LePlongeur
xx
Chord Pattern tool (Hook Theory website)

Started by MrBouzouki on Songwriting Ingredients

4 Replies
Last post September 27, 2017, 09:28:03
by TrevorGilligan