• Monty Cash Music
  • Patissier

• Yesterday at 20:11:38
    • inside the atomic fabric of a page, only when it is turning
  • more
Re: The Tool Man - Original Song
Reply #15 on: December 17, 2019, 23:16:41
What DAW are you using? @Leonard Scaper

And do you use much compression in your mastering process?
Find updates on my travels and music on http://steemit.com/@montycashmusic

• Leonard Scaper
  • Global Moderator
  • Executive Chef
  • Guest Chef

• Today at 01:43:37
    • Terra Firma
  • more
Reply #16 on: December 18, 2019, 13:31:36
I have been using protools since around the turn of the century @Monti Karus . I keep things pretty simple, though......try to use it almost as a tape recorder. I do not use any MIDI and I try to do limited processing. I like the work flow of protools for things like nudging and automation......automation is really a very powerful yet subtle mixing tool.

I track through a channel strip that allows me to compress and EQ a bit on the way in. I do use more compression and EQ on most of my tracks but very judicially. I do that during mixing and apply a bit more carefully globally after I bounce the mix to a stereo "master track".
"The main thing is to have a gutsy approach....but use your head." Julia Child

"In a world of robotic conformity, the only originality left in music is the imperfections" Eric Craptone

"Special thanks to Steve Gleason for making me who I am today." Leonard Scaper

Lenny's Tunes: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_music.cfm?bandID=540680

https://soundcloud.com/vincentgleason

• Monty Cash Music
  • Patissier

• more
Reply #17 on: December 18, 2019, 18:46:23
I have been using protools since around the turn of the century @Monti Karus . I keep things pretty simple, though......try to use it almost as a tape recorder. I do not use any MIDI and I try to do limited processing. I like the work flow of protools for things like nudging and automation......automation is really a very powerful yet subtle mixing tool.

I track through a channel strip that allows me to compress and EQ a bit on the way in. I do use more compression and EQ on most of my tracks but very judicially. I do that during mixing and apply a bit more carefully globally after I bounce the mix to a stereo "master track".

Thanks for the reply. I also used protools once for a bit, it is a good system.

For now I'm compact because I'm always traveling.

I'm pretty new to making my tracks sound 'loud'. And I over used compression globally for a while.

Like you do, I must focus on EQing and compressing individual channels before they get mixed to get a better sound quality.

• Leonard Scaper
  • Global Moderator
  • Executive Chef
  • Guest Chef

• Terra Firma
  • more
Reply #18 on: December 19, 2019, 13:14:04
I'm pretty new to making my tracks sound 'loud'. And I over used compression globally for a while.

One thing that has really helped me achieve a good level of volume without resorting to over done compression and limiting is volume automation. I see that as one of the strongest mixing tools available to us in a DAW mixing world.

By carefully pulling down peaks through automation you are able to pull up the gain of the entire track while keeping it sounding natural. In fact, if your DAW of choice has clip gain automation .........meaning that it allows you to actually change the shape of the wave form.....you can automate before the signal hits your compressor. That is a very powerful tool in the quest for natural sounding loudness.

• Monty Cash Music
  • Patissier

• more
Reply #19 on: December 19, 2019, 16:15:47
@Leonard Scaper

Ok thanks for the info. I need to keep it super compact, so my zoom h4n is my only option for this kind of thing. It does have an automatic limiter/compressor in stereo mode, it might be useful to record the initial guitar track in this mode and then transfer it to multitrack, so at least the guitar track is compressed somewhat on recording.

As for the other tracks, I'll have to just record at a lower volume and adjust them later when I put it on a computer.

• Leonard Scaper
  • Global Moderator
  • Executive Chef
  • Guest Chef

• Terra Firma
  • more
Reply #20 on: December 19, 2019, 19:50:09
@Monti Karus ....I would be cautious about tracking with that kind of compressor as you may not have enough detailed control over it. When I compress on the way in I am super conscious of how the compressor is handling the signal which generally means that I am  carefully tweaking the attack and release settings. Remember that compression done during tracking can't be tweaked or undone.

You mentioned recording at a lower volume. That really is the one thing that a lot of folks don't realize. Even your Zoom is able to process a pretty low signal and recording too hot is the number one mistake that we home recordists tend to make.

Btw....check out our Songwriting Ingredients section for some great threads pertaining to stuff like this.

• Dutchbeat
  • MADministrator
  • Michelin Starred Chef
  • If you can stand the Beat, get into the Kitchen!

• Yesterday at 23:36:34
  • more
Reply #21 on: December 19, 2019, 20:30:17
great... i know @leonard and also @Jambrains have very outspoken ideas and tips on  using compression, and how to use it

i overuse it  :P :P... i guess, but it is great  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:  ;D ;D ;D ;D

perhaps also @budhabuilding can give some good tips on this
me, myself, and Pie

Reply #22 on: December 19, 2019, 21:46:53
« Last Edit: December 19, 2019, 22:43:01 by Mora Amaro La Loba »
hola @Monti Karus

Your song sounds great, the mix is well balanced, your voice is always present even changing its color and the guitar and the chords do perfectly their task.
Congratulations.
Sorry but I am not English native so if you could share the lyrics to understand the entire story?

Thank you!
I did not know that to live I had to die so many times
My Youtube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAaK7mFK7fUpf1E99I1Qtow
My Vimeo Songs of Thought channel:
https://vimeo.com/channels/moraamarolaloba
My Vimeo Downtempo channel:
https://vimeo.com/channels/moramarolalobadowntempo

• Monty Cash Music
  • Patissier

• more
Reply #23 on: December 19, 2019, 22:11:13
hola @Monti Karus

Your song sounds great, the mix is well balanced, your voice is always present even changing its color and the guitar and the chords do perfectly their task.
Congratulations.
Sorry but I am not English native so if you could share the lyrics to understand the entire story?

Thank you!

Hey, no prob. Thanks for coming and having a look!

The lyrics are in a previous post up a bit in the same thread. Also posted here on Steemit- https://steemit.com/music/@montycashmusic/the-tool-man-original-song

Very metal-esque! In a fuck you fuck the world kind of way! ::e-guitar3::

Reply #24 on: December 20, 2019, 14:35:12
@Monti Karus if you want to know about compression .... it;'s different for individuel tracks... but i think you use multiple instruments on one track.....
this is more mastering kind of compression...

love to remix fire .... just send me the track and will rry ;-)

Just set all my solo  music free at https://budhabuilding.bandcamp.com

• Monty Cash Music
  • Patissier

• more
Reply #25 on: December 20, 2019, 15:14:48
@Dutchbeat @Leonard Scaper  Thanks for your input. I suppose in the end, it's the third opinion that makes it ok or not. If the magic in the process of getting it the 'ok' by that third opinion is a bit messy via a free DAW then, it doesn't matter I suppose. I'm just noticing small flaws in the sounds, so I want to get better at it. Generally things sound better when pumped up with global compression especially when uploading to soundcloud, bandcamp or using it in a youtube video. Especially live tracks I find. Although soundcloud seems to use its own compression/normalisation on tracks automatically (I've noticed a difference between what I upload and what's played in their player).

I've used other DAWs before (Protools, Audition and even directly from Fruity Loops) but right now I'm managing everything on Audacity in Ubuntu on a free laptop with keys falling off the keyboard. I seem to enjoy doing things on the bare minimum and seeing how much I can get away with. lol

Audacity's compression is probably the most basic, I'm learning its limitations.

@budhabuilding I'd be happy for you to have a go on The Fire. I'd like to see how you can make it different and what I can learn from the comparison. With the recording on Soundcloud I just fucked with the levels a bit and put some compression and tiny bit of reverb. It is a live track. I'll send you the raw track in a PM. Thanks for taking an interest.

• Monty Cash Music
  • Patissier

• more
Reply #26 on: December 21, 2019, 17:56:38
@Pleudoniem

I have to apologize for biting so hard with that last post to you. While I do agree with what I said. I have become the very thing I despise by doing this. I am making more effort to listen to people's music that are following and liking my content.

Reply #27 on: December 21, 2019, 18:31:58
« Last Edit: December 21, 2019, 19:10:55 by budhabuilding »
hi @Monti Karus ,

this is my little approach to fire... I like your vocal sound.... very nice.. enjoy ;-)

https://soundcloud.com/budhabuilding/fire-monti-cash-music-budha-building-arrangementremix/s-qTubu

(Had to reupload it ... rendering errors... some synth didn't play the right glitch pulse)

• Monty Cash Music
  • Patissier

• more
Reply #28 on: December 21, 2019, 19:47:40
hi @Monti Karus ,

this is my little approach to fire... I like your vocal sound.... very nice.. enjoy ;-)

https://soundcloud.com/budhabuilding/fire-monti-cash-music-budha-building-arrangementremix/s-qTubu

(Had to reupload it ... rendering errors... some synth didn't play the right glitch pulse)

Holy shit! You've done an amazing job! Well done! I'm so glad I played to a metronome on this one... haha

• Dutchbeat
  • MADministrator
  • Michelin Starred Chef
  • If you can stand the Beat, get into the Kitchen!

• Yesterday at 23:36:34
  • more
Reply #29 on: December 21, 2019, 21:22:48
hi @Monti Karus and @budhabuilding   :thumbsup: sounds good  ::headphone:: ::headphone::
perhaps more climax on the chorus vocal
perhaps.... ::) ::)  add a harmony vocal...perhaps not  :P :P :P :P

the instrumental bit has that  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D .... :thumbsup:

it sounds very nice  :ok: :ok:

clip
A Brand New Tool

Started by MrBouzouki on The kitchen café

3 Replies
Last post September 23, 2019, 00:34:47
by Vince
xx
Better Man - ONE MINUTE SONG

Started by habiTat on Songs for review

3 Replies
Last post September 04, 2014, 21:26:06
by Dutchbeat
xx
Better Man (My first song posted here) :)

Started by LostBoy on Songs for review

15 Replies
Last post June 17, 2016, 23:45:48
by LostBoy
xx
Tool - Sober cover

Started by Kristijonas on Live performances

8 Replies
Last post January 21, 2019, 07:39:19
by LePlongeur
xx
Chord Pattern tool (Hook Theory website)

Started by MrBouzouki on Songwriting Ingredients

4 Replies
Last post September 27, 2017, 09:28:03
by TrevorGilligan