Author Topic: The Wreckage  (Read 145 times)

Offline Leonard Scaper

• Global Moderator
  • Executive Chef
  • Karma coins: 953
  • Guest Chef
The Wreckage
« on: May 14, 2018, 20:19:42 »
I thought I'd write a song about how I have tended to just go through the many changes in my life somewhat oblivious of the disarray that I have left in my wake......metaphorically speaking, of course.  ;)

I pulled out a harmonica for this tune and had WAY too much fun....you can blame @Chris Spruit for that.....she had to go and post those excellent blues tunes. I was blowing pretty hard on this one. That is what always got me in trouble in the past, depending on the gig, the musicians and how much beer was flowing.  :)

This mix is pretty much just thrown together so far and needs lots of work. I figured I'd put it up for comment and suggestions while I work things out. You know that rule about how you should never have more than three elements playing at one time in a mix? Yeah.....I don't know that rule either.  ;)

The Wreckage
https://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=13726017

There's trouble enough behind me
And trouble up ahead
I should have stayed back there in traffic
Or stayed home in bed
I've got trouble and toil and tears and strain
When all I ever wanted was a passing lane
Here's what I'm thinking
Tell you what I'm gonna do
I'm gonna hot rod this Lincoln
And muscle right through
Then look in my rear view mirror
At the wreckage I left behind

INSTRUMENTAL

BRIDGE
And I'll sail on through
Yes I'll sail on
Into the rising sun
Yes I'll sail on through

Yes there's trouble of every kind up there
And it's messin' with my head
If I don't find a way through
I could end up dead
I guess I've been spoiled 'cause I've always found
That what I didn't want to deal with I could always drive around
But this time it's different
I've got no choice
I've got my foot on the gas
And I'm gonna make some noise

INSTRUMENTAL

There's trouble on this highway
And no way I can turn
If I try to stop now
I'm gonna crash and burn
So I'll tighten up this seat belt and find another gear
And hope the road up ahead is open and clear
I'm gonna hard nose this road
In this hot rod ford
And keep my foot right in it
Til the lake pipes roar

8)

"The main thing is to have a gutsy approach....but use your head." Julia Child

"Special thanks to Steve Gleason for making me who I am today." Leonard Scaper

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_music.cfm?bandID=540680

Online Dutchbeat

• MADministrator
  • Michelin Starred Chef
  • Karma coins: 1282
  • If you can stand the Beat, get into the Kitchen!
Re: The Wreckage
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2018, 22:43:04 »
 ::thumb:: ::thumb:: ::thumb:: ::thumb:: ::thumb:: ::thumb::

i love the lyrics...oh and the music also of course  ;D ;D ;D

i think the bridge should have come in later though.....if you allow me to say this @Leonard Scaper
lyricwise, and also musicwise...i think it would be much better placed after the second full verse

oh and....awesome mouthharp  ::headphone:: ::headphone:: ::headphone:: ::headphone:: ::headphone::

nice, how an enormous wreckage like that can sound  ::headphone:: ::headphone:: ::headphone::  ;D ;D ;D ;D
I lost it...ages ago

Offline smajor

• Rotisseur
  • Karma coins: 162
  • Karma Hunter
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2018, 03:21:13 »
Hi @Leonard Scaper ,

Hey son, you're gonna drive me to drinkin'!

Oh man, I can relate. On a number of levels.

Instead of "Or stayed home in bed" maybe... "or snuggled up in bed". Just a thought.

I really liked the bridge. A whole other world.

Later,
Stan
I'm a lyricist seeking music writers to work with.

Offline MrBouzouki

• Chef de Partie
  • Karma coins: 275
  • "Let the Creators Create" :-)
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2018, 09:31:40 »
Great start @Leonard Scaper - I'm loving the contrast between the bridge and verses.

I'm not sure about the metre of the first line of verse one and two, they seem a bit cramped compare to the beginning of verse three that seems to flow better.
This is particularly important for the first verse as you are straight in with a lyric. The first line of verse three just seems to fall better to my ears.

In certain parts of the song you are adding a few extra syllables into the metre that seem to work OK as you are in mid-flow, but I think the beginning of the verses need to settle the listener in, so to speak.
To help them relax into the story. I'm not sure if I'm just over-thinking this lol - but something to ponder. It general it reminds me of the wordplay of some of the Dire Straights songs.

There's trouble enough behind me
I           I     I     I I          I  I       I

Yes there's trouble of every kind up there
I     I           I     I    I   I    I    I      I    I   

There's trouble on this highway
I           I     I     I   I      I      I     

Also I wonder if 

But this time it's different
I've REALLY got no choice

might push home the fact that this time it really is different, you can't just steer around, there are going to be consequences of your actions.

"Love and Life is all about connections"

Offline Leonard Scaper

• Global Moderator
  • Executive Chef
  • Guest Chef
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2018, 10:59:44 »
Thanks guys....I was stewing a bit about this one. It came together so quickly that I just kind of went with the flow.

@Dutchbeat .......I cut the song up in the studio last night and moved the bridge to see how it worked. It just didn't have the effect I wanted. I like how that full stop after the first instrumental creates some tension that resolves unexpectedly into that different bridge. Thanks for that idea, though. And thanks for your appreciation of that harp......I get nervous when I start blowing hard like that.....I tend to lose my perspective a little for the rest of the song.  ;)

@smajor ....... yeah, the bridge.....funny thing is that while I really liked it musically I had no idea what I wanted to say there until I was doing final vocals and tape was rolling. I definitely winged it with those bridge lyrics. That "snuggled" idea is a good one. It would have kept me from repeating "stayed".

@MrBouzouki .....I know what you mean about the lyrics. It got pretty wordy on paper and I was struggling right up to the tracking session with the presentation. As it is what was scribbled
on paper got changed quite a bit during tracking. I don't usually have that much to say in my songs......this time I just tried to spew it all out and still get home on time (so to speak).

Is this fun....or what?

8)

Offline Chris Spruit

• Patissier
  • Karma coins: 45
  • Be yourself
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2018, 11:08:22 »
@Leonard Scaper I'd love to take the blame for that :-)  ::thumb: AND man I love the Bluesharp! so you may have to take the blame to join me on one deep blues !!!

Offline Leonard Scaper

• Global Moderator
  • Executive Chef
  • Guest Chef
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2018, 13:33:52 »
@Chris Spruit  ....   :) :) :) :) :)

If you and Dave get something going that you hear a harp on I'll be honored to add what I can.

Offline Vince

• Chef de Partie
  • Karma coins: 402
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2018, 14:35:28 »
Nice @Leonard Scaper   The song does call for a harmonica and it sounds good. When I try recording harmonica it always sounds shrill so I try to stay on the lower register notes, but blues does seem to like the higher register notes for more of a cry.

I enjoyed listening - nice arrangement, kept me listening through the whole song.

Vince

Offline Leonard Scaper

• Global Moderator
  • Executive Chef
  • Guest Chef
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2018, 16:03:49 »
hey @Vince ......you're right about how those higher notes. That's why I was a bit nervous about just blowing them out like that....it is a bit shrill. I was thinking about shrieking tires as I drove through the wreckage.  ;)

Thanks for checking this one out.

Offline MichaelA

• Chef de Partie
  • Karma coins: 292
  • Karma Hunter
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2018, 13:58:53 »
Hello hello, there's quite a bit of blues on here at the moment. Well done for adding a treatment onto a classic blues idea that makes the whole thing sound quite a bit different. And more modern somehow - probably achieved by the interesting guitar work, which is a bit more subtle than many old blues songs.

Interesting theme that, bit brutal in some ways, so blues can be an uncompromising vehicle to carry such a topic.

I'd not heard that 'Get Busy Living' song either, which came up next on your feed. Pretty nice one that, especially the repetitive solo section, really nice music there. Cool, sorry I missed it!  ::thumb::

If you like novels with a musical theme, why not try 'Sixth Beatle - When Music Changed The World', easily found on Amazon and Google. It is amazing, although as the author I may be biased!

Offline Chris Spruit

• Patissier
  • Karma coins: 45
  • Be yourself
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2018, 15:09:18 »

Offline Leonard Scaper

• Global Moderator
  • Executive Chef
  • Guest Chef
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2018, 16:05:59 »
Hey @MichaelA ......great to see you! I never thought of myself as a blues guitarist and I guess that shows in this tune. There's nothing very bluesy about that bridge, for instance.

I once saw the inimitable Taj Mahal playing with his huge band. He sat up there on a chair and picked away at his Mississippi National Steel Guitar while a stage full of blues cats rocked hard around him. That influenced me. Check out a tune called "You're Gonna To Need Somebody On Your Bond" off his "The Real Thing" album.

Thanks for checking out that other tune as well. Hope you are doing some music yourself.

Offline MichaelA

• Chef de Partie
  • Karma coins: 292
  • Karma Hunter
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2018, 18:48:37 »
Hey @Leonard Scaper I checked out that tune, pretty damn fab. It is here by the way, anyone else! . I love how that Big Band sound is integrated into a traditional bluesy vibe, and a great vocal too. I must check out more of that guy, classic stuff, cheers!  ;)

Offline Andrew Jezmund

• Rotisseur
  • Karma coins: 135
  • Karma hunter
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2018, 22:39:19 »
Hi Leonard,

This song reminds me that I love harmonica.  You use it well here.  Harmonica is also a good instrument choice for a song with the theme you explore in the lyrics.  Leaving things behind, wreckage and all, and a little harmonica blast as you head on down the road.  Cool song.

Offline Leonard Scaper

• Global Moderator
  • Executive Chef
  • Guest Chef
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2018, 22:43:05 »
@Andrew Jezmund .....thanks for listening and for your appreciation. I'm glad that harp works for you. This song really screamed out to me for a harp that was played on the edge like that and I did worry that I took it too far.

granny-blade