• Poissonier
  • Karma Hunter

• March 26, 2022, 23:58:56
    • United Kingdom
  • more
There for me
on: March 21, 2022, 18:32:24
« Last Edit: March 22, 2022, 20:57:48 by Cool Hand »
Part of me is wondering if I should continue to write and present new music. For now, I believe that there is still a spark of magic in my writing and so I present "There for me".  I'll offer this without an explanation but will add that the samba rhythm creates a almost dream like scenario where it is possible to believe in  almost anything.  I've tried to be playful and creative with the lyrics and keep the musical ideas fresh.  I hope that you enjoy.

Best wishes to everyone.

Paul

https://soundcloud.com/pvasey1/there-for-me

Guitar/vocal version: https://soundcloud.com/pvasey1/there-for-me-guitarvocal
There for me

You never liked complaining with your optimistic flair.
You taught me how to play the game, you taught me to play fair.
So I smiled at my enemy, he didn’t give a damn for me.

It’s tea for two or at 3pm,
booked the time machine return.
You’ll be there in your summer dress.  We Iive to live and learn.
As we walk through the bluebell woods, it’s way too good to be true.

This place is a wonderful new day,  across the Milky Way
Where moonbeams dance, rivers twist, where waterfalls of music can exist.
You’ll be waiting there for me.

I couldn’t bare to think that we will never meet again
I couldn’t bare to stand out in the rain.
I will pray to the Roman gods, the Pagan and the Greek.
Cést fantastique Je sais.

This place is a wonderful new day,  across the Milky Way
Where moonbeams dance, rivers twist, where waterfalls of music can exist.
You’ll be waiting there for me.

Written by Paul Vasey, March 2022

https://soundcloud.com/pvasey1/there-for-me

guitar vocal version:  https://soundcloud.com/pvasey1/there-for-me-guitarvocal

Re: There for me
Reply #1 on: March 21, 2022, 20:45:44
Hola @Cool Hand

It has been a very pleasant listening.
Samba is a magical rhythm, it always embraces the listener.
You say that you have doubts about continuing to make songs... It's best not to think when you're in that moment of doubt because the mind is a fierce enemy, so don't think and keep doing.

Stay safe

Mora
I did not know that to live I had to die so many times
https://vimeo.com/onacarom

• popitup
  • Patissier
  • Songs in the Key of Life

• Yesterday at 14:51:33
  • more
Reply #2 on: March 22, 2022, 03:19:18
@Cool Hand  . . . well this one has some whimsical to it. I didn't recognize the samba beat you mention, to me it just sounded like a modern easy groove. It's not your typical "that must be the chorus" tune . . . more like the poetry of love, and telling of a story. It's just short of 3 minutes, so I'm thinking a brief solo or instrumental, maybe a slight pause of silence, would really add an element to the overall. I found it very friendly to listen to, really enjoyed the poetics in the lyrics. World can always use more real love songs.

• LePlongeur
  • Executive Chef
  • In Tartiflette we trust

• Today at 07:51:35
    • Greater Amsterdam
  • more
Reply #3 on: March 22, 2022, 14:33:16
Me, I’m for the lazy groove too.
So that makes it 2-1 for @popitup qnd me.

A very good photographer taught me to work in series.
We are our own worst critics.
And above all: if he would have ran off to his lab to develop and do general magic things after each photo, he would have never gotten any work done.

So, on top of @Mora Amaro La Loba ‘s ever clever remarks, my ‘subtle’ advice would be to quit fucking around and go looking for why you started making music in the first place.

For the fun fun fun and the broads perhaps at the time.
For me, The broads are out of the question since some 49 years, but the fun fun fun remains.
I wish the same to you?
Kind regards, Gus

• Cool Hand
  • Poissonier
  • Karma Hunter

• United Kingdom
  • more
Reply #4 on: March 22, 2022, 15:10:54
Me, I’m for the lazy groove too.
So that makes it 2-1 for @popitup qnd me.

A very good photographer taught me to work in series.
We are our own worst critics.
And above all: if he would have ran off to his lab to develop and do general magic things after each photo, he would have never gotten any work done.

So, on top of @Mora Amaro La Loba ‘s ever clever remarks, my ‘subtle’ advice would be to quit fucking around and go looking for why you started making music in the first place.

For the fun fun fun and the broads perhaps at the time.
For me, The broads are out of the question since some 49 years, but the fun fun fun remains.
I wish the same to you?
Kind regards, Gus

@Le Plongeur. That's more than a little harsh!  As for the rhythm, it's defintely underpinned by a samba guitar rhythm.

Paul

• LePlongeur
  • Executive Chef
  • In Tartiflette we trust

• Today at 07:51:35
    • Greater Amsterdam
  • more
Reply #5 on: March 22, 2022, 16:04:39
« Last Edit: March 22, 2022, 16:06:20 by LePlongeur »
Yes, now that I re-read it, I believe you are right. @Cool Hand But by quoting, the chance to apologise and phrase it softer is blown.
I certainly who be saddened if you were to stop writing and posting, but maybe the Amsterdam tone got the better of me. I apologise anyway, I can’t mend it and I do hope that you are convinced that I had the best of intentions.

Kind regards, Gus

• Cool Hand
  • Poissonier
  • Karma Hunter

• United Kingdom
  • more
Reply #6 on: March 22, 2022, 19:31:01
« Last Edit: March 22, 2022, 21:08:22 by Cool Hand »
@popitup, this song is not really what it seems. to be.  You're bang on the money when you observe It isn't a typical chorus song and as we know, not all songs are.  I really appreciate that you have listened to the lyrics so closely.  It is a love song of sorts but not for a lost love.  The story centres around my Mam who passed away last summer time.  She was such a fair and optimistic lady.  If only I could jump into  a time machine to visit her wherever  (if anywhere) she might be.  Perhaps we. could have "tea for 2, at 3pm" or take a walk together through "the bluebell woods."  Of course, this all takes place somewhere quite magical, where "waterfalls of music can exist."   The samba rhythm is evident in the classical guitar but it sits beneath so many instruments.  Listen to the outro where it reveals itself in isolation from the other instruments.  I might revisit this to include a guitar solo and space as you have suggested.  Both would be great additions to this production.  Thank you for your kind and detailed listen.   :)

There's an alternative version in the link below @popitup, @Mora Amaro La Loba @Le Plongeur

https://soundcloud.com/pvasey1/there-for-me-guitarvocal

Paul

@Le Plongeur,  I do take your review in the spirit that was intended and harbour no hard feelings.  I haven't lost my mojo as a writer but admit to feeling fatigued  from time to time as I write prolifically, 1 song/production per week (sometimes more. ) I often ask myself, why?  Perhaps I do need to take a brake.  On a bright note, my music successfully brought my beautiful partner Marie  into my life.  I won't stop writing indefinitely, however, this is clearly my mood at the moment. 

Paul

Reply #7 on: March 23, 2022, 11:58:34
Very nice Paul, really  like the guitar/vocal version. Lovely clean playing and lyrics that keep you listening.

• Cool Hand
  • Poissonier
  • Karma Hunter

• United Kingdom
  • more
Reply #8 on: March 23, 2022, 20:56:36
@David Hutton,  thank you for your comments.  It's always a thrill to me when someone notices the lyrics that I write.  Many thanks my friend.

Paul

• oorlab
  • Global Moderator
  • Executive Chef
  • Making music

• August 10, 2022, 23:10:39
    • netherlands
    • https://twitter.com/oorlab https://soundcloud.com/oorlab
  • more
Reply #9 on: March 23, 2022, 23:47:56
« Last Edit: March 25, 2022, 12:02:37 by oorlab »
@Cool Hand   - from the get go this sounds fresh and open. The mix of the guitars, the laidback drums and the poetic vocals is wonderful - getting a Lloyd Cole and the Commotion vibe. The piano at 1.43 is cool - could come in earlier.
Liking the line "I will pray to the Roman gods, the Pagan and the Greek."  fine wordplay.
i'd keep writing if I were you  :pompom: :praise:
New album  https://oorlab.bandcamp.com/album/future-journeys (autumn 2021) Future journeys

• Cool Hand
  • Poissonier
  • Karma Hunter

• United Kingdom
  • more
Reply #10 on: March 25, 2022, 08:56:26
« Last Edit: March 25, 2022, 11:05:52 by Cool Hand »
@Cool Hand   - from the get go this sounds freesh and open. the mix of the guitars, the laidback drums and the poetic vocals is wonderful - getting a Loyd Cole and the commotion vibe. the piano at 1.43 is cool - could come in earlier.
Liking the line "I will pray to the Roman gods, the Pagan and the Greek. " fine wordplay.
i'd keep writing if I were you  :pompom: :praise:
@oorlab, I love lloyd Cole's music so thank you so much for the comparison.  I rarely get that even though he is possible one of my leading influences.  It's an unusual song for me because whilst I really like this song, it requires several listens before it's secrets are realised.  I always pay great attention to the lyrics so it is especially pleasing that you have noticed them. 

thank you very much my friend.

Paul