• Just strumming away

• Yesterday at 00:34:56
    • Sydney, Australia
  • more
This Town - new mix
on: November 17, 2019, 01:38:20
« Last Edit: November 22, 2019, 06:57:13 by Jurgen »
hi,

I've had a go at recording one of my band's songs in a solo style.

I've also tried to mix and master it - but not sure if it sounds right. It should be easy as only guitar and vocals but not sure I've got the levels of everything right.

Any feedback would be appreciated!

For those interested in the words, I'm posting them below. It's a song about domestic abuse in small country towns where everyone knows it goes on but turns a blind eye. One woman eventually has enough and faces the town with the evidence. The idea comes from a story my wife is writing.

New master upload https://soundcloud.com/jurgen-joarder/this-town-new-master/s-O6SSX

This town
----------------
Stand tall and hold their gaze
put his handywork on display

No makeup to hide his shame
his right when you took his name

Chorus
This town's got a lot to say
This town's got nothing to say
When this town sweeps it all away
This town

Verse
All these years hid the truth
every time he left a bruise

Raised his voice and his hand
His way to make you understand

chorus

outtro
Before the purple fades
Before the purple fades
You've got to make him pay
You've got to make them pay

Re: This Town - feedback on mix required
Reply #1 on: November 17, 2019, 14:53:43
Hola @Jurgen

I think maybe the solos guitar is a little saturated??? Maybe mixing with less high tone, looking for a little more bass sound of the chords... I don't know,  speakers are so different...

That story is more habitual than people think... Blind eyes are synonymous of commodity... Bad moments are only for those who are suffering them.
I did not know that to live I had to die so many times
My Youtube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAaK7mFK7fUpf1E99I1Qtow
My Vimeo Songs of Thought channel:
https://vimeo.com/channels/moraamarolaloba
My Vimeo Downtempo channel:
https://vimeo.com/channels/moramarolalobadowntempo

• Dutchbeat
  • MADministrator
  • Michelin Starred Chef
  • If you can stand the Beat, get into the Kitchen!

• Yesterday at 21:28:20
  • more
Reply #2 on: November 17, 2019, 19:22:08
hi @Jurgen , i just loved the recording... :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

the mix sounds absolutely ...very balanced to me

i am no help, but still i wanted to say that the mix sounds good to me

the song has some serious tension building at points, at the end of the choruses,
that made me.. want to hear drums kick in at two points

but great  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: yeah!!! 8) 8) 8) 8) :yes: :yes: :yes:
me, myself, and Pie

• LePlongeur
  • Sous Chef
  • In Tartiflette we trust

• Yesterday at 18:35:46
    • Greater Amsterdam
  • more
Reply #3 on: November 18, 2019, 16:41:43
For Some time, my index finger hovered over the Ďreplyí knob.
And I will tell you why.
You want us to tell you what we think of the mix. Fine, but if you want advice you can gain something by (is that English?) you will want to share with us where (under What circumstances) you want it to sound good.
- on headphones
   - on neutral sounding ones
   - on dr beat boom boom phones
- on my I pad*
- on the system in my car
- on reasonable neutral speakers
- on the sound bar under the tv with a boom box underneath whatever

If you think I only try to piss you off, donít worry. This is not the case. But if I donít have a clue how to judge if I can be of help to you.
I hope I make some sense..., @Jurgen !!!

*i tried, just for f***s sake to mix a song so it would sound OK on my IPad  (Sha la la mixture) but no one took the trouble to react. Maybe I can ask your help for a better mix. I like the idea however.
Kind regards, Gus

• Leonard Scaper
  • Global Moderator
  • Executive Chef
  • Guest Chef

• Today at 01:23:32
    • Terra Firma
  • more
Reply #4 on: November 18, 2019, 17:53:32
I like this song a lot @Jurgen . I listened in my office on earbuds. I always give my material a listen on that medium as it tells me things that my quality monitoring stuff does not.

I think you should consider taking some 200 Hz to 400 Hz out of the vocals and perhaps even the main guitar. Maybe just some more aggressive high pass filtering on the guitar. You could even pull some of that mud out of the mix globally instead and see how that sounds. Be aggressive about it and see how it sounds...then dial it back to taste.

I would also consider panning the guitar off a bit more to the right and even panning the vocal a bit to the left to establish some space. I know that it is against the rules to take the vocal away from the center.....but rules are made to sometimes be broken.
"The main thing is to have a gutsy approach....but use your head." Julia Child

"In a world of robotic conformity, the only originality left in music is the imperfections" Eric Craptone

"Special thanks to Steve Gleason for making me who I am today." Leonard Scaper

Lenny's Tunes: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_music.cfm?bandID=540680

https://soundcloud.com/vincentgleason

• Jurgen
  • Sous Chef
  • Just strumming away

• Sydney, Australia
  • more
Reply #5 on: November 18, 2019, 22:48:08
Thanks for listening and feedback

@Mora Amaro La Loba  - will give the guitars another listen - it is difficult and speakers and headphones all give a different sound to me.

Thanks @Dutchbeat - yes it needs drums. When we play it live, there's a real build up at the end and the ending is loud and busy. I'm not sure it works so well the way I've recorded it...

@LePlongeur  - very good comments. I should have given context.

What I was thinking is that I could release some solo recordings. I've got distrokid account that automatically renewed for another year (forgot all about it) so I can release tracks to streaming services.

I know no one will listen but I still think I might do that - so the mixes just need to be ones that will work on streaming services across all devices. Is that even possible? I guess it must be as other do it all the time.

@Leonard Scaper I will try your suggestions as well.

I'm also thinking that as this isn't with the band (too expensive to record the band as we need a studio to record the drums) then maybe I should just do a solo acoustic recording - just guitar and voice. And make the songs I record very different from a band sound?

Not to sure what to do (or what I'm doing!) but enjoying the process.

cheers

• Leonard Scaper
  • Global Moderator
  • Executive Chef
  • Guest Chef

• Terra Firma
  • more
Reply #6 on: November 18, 2019, 22:59:23
maybe I should just do a solo acoustic recording - just guitar and voice. And make the songs I record very different from a band sound?

While I do like the idea of doing these solo songs acoustically, I really like what you do with them on the electric guitar. I think the platform that you use with this demo is a good one. It's a little harder to get the mix right (imo) with a solo electric guitar but when you do get it right it can be very powerful and very cool sounding.

• Mo
  • Patissier
  • do small things with great love

• December 13, 2019, 11:09:01
  • more
Reply #7 on: November 18, 2019, 23:49:15
As i am just a simple listner i want mention that its sounds good with my normal devices.  I like how the softley vocals tells that rather hardier stuff.

Reply #8 on: November 20, 2019, 21:01:03
I like the song @Jurgen .Its a good fit for solo treatment as the lyrics aren`t going to be buried in a bigger arrangement.
To that end I find the tone and volume of your guitar a little distracting here ( I think @Mora Amaro La Loba is on the right track about the guitar sound), and wanted the vocals sitting a bit more forward.
If you like the idea of building intensity in the song I can hear it beginning with just acoustic guitar &bringing the electric in ( with drums?) later.

Robert

• Jurgen
  • Sous Chef
  • Just strumming away

• Sydney, Australia
  • more
Reply #9 on: November 22, 2019, 06:56:19
thanks again for the feedback - it's been really useful

@robertkc - I think I try and hide my vocals behind a noisy guitar but I've removed some of that noise and left the vocals a bit more exposed - not sure that's a good thing but I'm going to run with it.

@Mo thank you for your words - it's a song that when we play it live - we bring the instruments right down near the end when I sing "every he left a bruise" and you can see people pay attention as they realise what the song is about.

@Mora Amaro La Loba  and @Leonard Scaper - I've done another mix - removed some of the dirty guitar sound and panned vocals/guitar (just a little!)

Also add some bass after hearing how good the bass sounds on Leonard's track

https://soundcloud.com/jurgen-joarder/this-town-new-master/s-O6SSX

cheers

• Leonard Scaper
  • Global Moderator
  • Executive Chef
  • Guest Chef

• Terra Firma
  • more
Re: This Town - new mix
Reply #10 on: November 22, 2019, 13:08:47
I think this sound fantastic now. The way it begins with just vocals and that kind of slightly distorted jangly guitar is just right but when that bass drops in the song really comes alive.

I REALLY like the tone of that lead that comes in at 1:15. Perfect how the bass comes back in at the end of that solo. Love how you bring things way down during that next verse and then drop in that nice little guitar harmonic before bringing things back up.

I also think it's pretty cool how you change the chords a bit right there at the end to take the song out. I think that really works.

I listened once on my headphones here in my office....it's early here and I pretty much own my own space so then I put it up on the computer speakers while I started my normal routine. As sometimes happens.....the shipping guy was coming by to use the facilities that are across the hall from me and he just came in and sat down to listen. He is a singer in a local rock cover band......kind of locally famous in that regard. He wanted to know who I was listening to.  I sent him the link.  :) :) :)

• LePlongeur
  • Sous Chef
  • In Tartiflette we trust

• Yesterday at 18:35:46
    • Greater Amsterdam
  • more
Reply #11 on: November 22, 2019, 13:22:30
I think itís a bit strange that we all agree on the idea that the voice is the first and most important instrument. And when it comes to mixing, and I want to treat it like an instrument, I get a lot of comments about the place I gave the voice. Not enough up front etc.

I hate it, but this time I have to agree with the rest.
I think the last and cleaner version works, and is better.
But if you are going to quote me Iíll answer I said no such thing.
I deny definitely that I said that the rest is right, especially when they are right.

As to the mix: I would leave it as it is. I love it! Good luck with it being played by the band.
Kind regards, Gus

Reply #12 on: November 22, 2019, 21:19:39
@Jurgen  - sounding great! Contrary to @Dutchbeat I would not really need drums here. If you pursue working on it you might try some backing vocals in the Chorus, and may be go up in melody in a sentence like "Raised his voice and his hand"...
recommending https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/How_Music_Works "How music works", book by David Byrne.

Reply #13 on: November 22, 2019, 23:50:36
New cleaner guitar mix is much better @Jurgen. Like the echo on "this town"...could go either way on drums.I like @oorlab suggestion of making a slight variation in the melody, but the song carries strong feelings in a restrained way- I like ::thumb::

Robert

• Jurgen
  • Sous Chef
  • Just strumming away

• Sydney, Australia
  • more
Reply #14 on: November 23, 2019, 22:33:50
Thanks everyone for your help with this one.

I'm going to release it - which doesn't mean that much these days but will mean it's on streaming services.

Apparently it'll be one of 40,000 released every day!

I'm happy with the mix - got used to having my voice up front in the mix. I agree with you @LePlongeur about the voice as an instrument but I won't quote you  ;)

cheers

xx
Home town song competition entry - Small town (half of JuneMay)

Started by junemay on Songs for review

25 Replies
Last post June 18, 2018, 00:03:16
by CrystalSuzy
xx
Home Town Boy.....Home Town Competition

Started by Leonard Scaper on Songs for review

32 Replies
Last post June 13, 2018, 22:18:26
by The C&D Project
question
Mix/Production: How to manage the low frequencies in your mix?

Started by Mar T. on Songwriting Ingredients

27 Replies
Last post December 30, 2018, 01:33:54
by Timothy Smith
xx
This Town

Started by Jurgen on Live performances

2 Replies
Last post June 11, 2019, 13:44:00
by Jurgen
xx
This Town