• Global Moderator
  • Executive Chef
  • Guest Chef

• Today at 21:47:32
    • Terra Firma
  • more
Re: Those Who'll Inherit Everything
Reply #15 on: January 12, 2020, 13:55:53
First off....this is a beautiful song. Seriously good production all around.

About the ssss's.....I have found that sometimes manually attenuating just the ssss's actually sounds less natural than applying careful de-essing globally. I'm hearing this here a bit. On the word "cost" I can hear where you attenuated and it doesn't sound quite natural when heard in context with all of the other hard consonants. It's not just the sss's......I'm hearing a touch of harshness in the t's and the ch's and such as well. These excellent vocals will be so much smoother all around when you break down and do it.  :)

When you do, pull that "cost" back up and let the de-esser do it's thing there as well.

The pad sounds good to me.
"The main thing is to have a gutsy approach....but use your head." Julia Child

"In a world of robotic conformity, the only originality left in music is the imperfections" Eric Craptone

"Special thanks to Steve Gleason for making me who I am today." Leonard Scaper

Lenny's Tunes: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_music.cfm?bandID=540680

https://soundcloud.com/vincentgleason

• Charlie
  • Vegetable Chef
  • Karma Hunter

• January 19, 2020, 14:31:18
    • Netherlands
    • https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL6gaSzHsXOYq-j_eQH6IwsW_K0S3CHfbk
  • more
Reply #16 on: January 13, 2020, 10:06:13
Well done, @M57 ! The guitar is excellent (teach me how not to squeack ;)). Keep it that way!
Still hear some 'base drum' in the very first 20 seconds which sound a bit off and uncertain to me. I think you could do without it there.
Sorry, that I started this de-essing thing. I agree with @Leonard Scaper  that your tweaking might be just a bit too much here and there. But, boy, it is so recognizable, as if I do my own recording and try to get rid of my esses. Save this version well and try one of your over all de-essers and see how that works. These days I normally do that in a very gentle way and than might do some individual clip-gain if still necessary.

If you dig it, do it. If you dig it a lot, do it twice (Jim Croce).

Reply #17 on: January 13, 2020, 17:31:27
Hola @M57

I really liked your song, its delicacy saying what happens, especially in the part of the choir, I loved it.
The guitars sound great and are very balanced with the voice and the voice is right on its level.
You have a voice that transmits in addition to being beautiful and the tuning is great. ::thumb::
I did not know that to live I had to die so many times
My Youtube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAaK7mFK7fUpf1E99I1Qtow
My Vimeo Songs of Thought channel:
https://vimeo.com/channels/moraamarolaloba
My Vimeo Downtempo channel:
https://vimeo.com/channels/moramarolalobadowntempo

Reply #18 on: January 17, 2020, 18:35:04
@M57 - I'm listening to the updated track - Wow! :D I wish I could press the like button again!
It is sounding perfect in my ears! :D :D
Rachel  ::Rachel::
https://.com/rachel_debattista

Reply #19 on: January 17, 2020, 22:05:55
@M57 Sounds very 70s, protest generation. Crosby, Stills, and Nash, and a bit of Beach Boy close harmony. I quite like it, although I agree with some of the comments earlier that as the song progresses it could be upped with percussion, and I think with some more bass accents.

I do think it is a very good song, but it sounds as if it is still unfinished.

Lots of percussionists on the forum, as well as multi-instrumentalists. Feel free to ask any of them?  ;)

Pleudoniem: composer; bass guitarist; guitarist; singer; drummer; tap-guitarist - o, and yes... erm- a bit of keys. Open for collabs.
SoundCloud Page: https://soundcloud.com/pleudoniem

• M57
  • Rotisseur

• Today at 12:25:13
  • more
Reply #20 on: January 17, 2020, 22:32:12
@M57 ..the song progresses it could be upped with percussion..
I agree it needs more percussion.  That's usually the last step for me. I like to deliver an all but unfinished set of stems to a drummer so they know where the spaces are and can play as if it were live and they were responding and interacting with the other musicians. Also, I'm still not convinced the form is right.

..and I think with some more bass accents..
This is tricky territory. I love cool bass accents, but I'm a hack on the fretless ..so the less I play, the better I sound. ::e-guitar::  But seriously, and more importantly, I need the band to support the song and not detract from the vocal.  I'm not sure from who or where, but I seem to recall that someone mentioned that they thought the bass was too notey in places. That's all I needed to hear.

Lots of percussionists on the forum, as well as multi-instrumentalists. Feel free to ask any of them?  ;)
Drums are pretty much the only thing that I outsource. I can usually get away with playing everything else. When I need drums, I've been using n professional (whom I've never met). He does the work remotely in his studio.  I really like the quality of his both his playing and recordings, but I'm always open to options. I don't know who the drummers are here.

• Mo
  • Poissonier

• Today at 22:16:02
  • more
Reply #21 on: January 17, 2020, 22:49:10
I love this thread,
What a wonderful way to learn to me as reader and listener. Thank you @all for comments and big respect to the song author @M57

Reply #22 on: January 17, 2020, 23:25:53
« Last Edit: January 17, 2020, 23:30:16 by Pleudoniem »
Both @oorlab and I are multi-instrumentalists who can play the drums as well as the bass. We prefer actual human playing to using presets, most of the time.

Listening to your style, I think that @oorlab would be great to talk to. I am often quite 'baroquish' in my style, whereas he is much more sparse in his approach, which suits better with what you do. You could ask him. He is a real pleasure to work with.

I am convinced there are many more. Which gives me an idea. Possibly we should create a section on the forum which informs other users of what instruments are played by other users, so that they can be addressed for collabs?

In your song, it being notey isn't the problem, but I think you could add accents and supporting ghost notes, without overdoing it - i.e. it isn't funk or prog, after all.

Reply #23 on: January 17, 2020, 23:40:52
Nice guitar intro.  I like the finger picking.  The single vocalist in the first and second verses are pleasant  The harmonies are wonderful in the following chorus.   The harmonies fir the lyrics "we're all in this together".    The lyrics talk about "a world on fire can't you feel the sting" are very harmonious.  They give no hint of a sting.  4:41 seems a little long.  Appropriate ending.

• LePlongeur
  • Sous Chef
  • In Tartiflette we trust

• Today at 14:15:43
    • Greater Amsterdam
  • more
Reply #24 on: January 18, 2020, 07:28:29
I hate to contradict @ProgRockDan . A song is long if itís crap.
If I had my way there would have been a lift/bridge too which only makes it longer. And would have smoothed out the rather abrupt changes from text to chorus.
I wish I had taken the time to learn to play the guitar like this.
My only really cutting something advice would be:
If you feel like writing in the holidays, take more holidays. 
Kind regards, Gus

• MrBouzouki
  • Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
  • "Let the Creators Create" :-)

• Today at 21:50:33
    • Sheffield, UK
    • https://www.facebook.com/Mr.Bouzouki.Music/ https://www.youtube.com/user/MisterBouzouki https://soundcloud.com/mrbouzouki
  • more
Reply #25 on: January 19, 2020, 12:28:04
I've entered the process at version 2.3 @M57 ... I've always had a great respect for you harmony work, especially the overall warmth it conveys  but  I think you sell yourself a bit short on the  "We're all in this together" line.  The 'Together' sounds too truncated, cut off in it's prime.  You've set it up so bask in the note and hold onto it for a bit longer.  Even if it masks the underlying pattern a bit. As our choir MD often says "Tenors ... enjoy this bit" 

It's the bit in the song that everybody will be singing ... the hook ... so make it glorious.   :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes:

Nice work overall but this one thing popped out to my ears so I thought I'd mention it.

::OSMAN:: ::OSMAN:: ::OSMAN::
"Love and Life is all about connections"

• M57
  • Rotisseur

• more
Reply #26 on: January 19, 2020, 13:05:32
I've entered the process at version 2.3 @M57   The 'Together' sounds too truncated, cut off in it's prime.  You've set it up so bask in the note and hold onto it for a bit longer.  Even if it masks the underlying pattern a bit. As our choir MD often says "Tenors ... enjoy this bit" 

I hear what you're saying and I think I'll give it a shot.  Right now I'm working on a revision that includes minor mods to the form and a short piano solo. I'm planning on compiling a lot of folks' performance recommendations and piecing them into it as well.. Thanks for the suggestion.

• M57
  • Rotisseur

• more
Reply #27 on: January 19, 2020, 19:24:29
I've entered the process at version 2.3 @M57 The 'Together' sounds too truncated, cut off in it's prime.  You've set it up so bask in the note and hold onto it for a bit longer.

The only way to lengthen together is to hold the "errrr,"  which is always an awkward proposition.  Turning it into an "ahhh" usually makes it sound to choral ..or too provincial.  Also, there's the symmetry of the four lines to consider.  The 'held' note is in the middle of all of the phrases, and the shorter ends sound more conversational and intimate to me.  Just wanted to let you know I played with your idea and share my thinking.

Reply #28 on: January 20, 2020, 18:47:13
I guess here are my thoughts on song length.  If you have no desire to have radio stations play the song, then the length is great.  I didn't mind listening to it for over 4 minutes.  However, if you desire to have your song on the radio, then (99 times out of 100 - there are a few long songs that get played :  American Pie...) it needs to be under 4 minutes.  In fact many songs on the radio are under 3 minutes.    It is your choice.