• Global Moderator
  • Executive Chef
  • Guest Chef

• Yesterday at 22:50:06
    • Terra Firma
  • more
Re: Truth
Reply #15 on: October 29, 2018, 18:12:49
@robertkc ....shaker, eh? Not a bad idea. I have a nice sounding maraca.....I'll pull it out tonight and see how it works on those choruses. Thanks for listening and for supporting the style that I'm stuck with.  ;)
"The main thing is to have a gutsy approach....but use your head." Julia Child

"In a world of robotic conformity, the only originality left in music is the imperfections" Eric Craptone

"Special thanks to Steve Gleason for making me who I am today." Leonard Scaper

Lenny's Tunes: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_music.cfm?bandID=540680

https://soundcloud.com/vincentgleason

• oorlab
  • Chef de Partie
  • savoir vivre

• Yesterday at 23:16:24
    • netherlands
    • https://twitter.com/oorlab https://soundcloud.com/oorlab
  • more
Reply #16 on: October 29, 2018, 23:45:18
« Last Edit: October 31, 2018, 00:14:14 by oorlab »
Cool Chorus - interesting 'string' sound. Very subtle. I can relate to the comments about percussion, or may be some other element giving a beat or connection between the isolated guitar strums. A shaker, some shuffling sound could work well. But the song already in itself works well.
recommending https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/How_Music_Works "How music works", book by David Byrne.

• smajor
  • Rotisseur
  • Karma Hunter

• December 15, 2018, 04:48:43
    • Kingman, Arizona USA
    • https://soundcloud.com/smajor1
  • more
Reply #17 on: October 30, 2018, 01:23:04
Hi @Leonard Scaper ,

I think the song is solid as is. But it seems a bit constricted. Like the narrator is a bit too focused on the highway in view.

What if there was a space after the 2nd chorus  where the narrator let his imagination go musically? Revealing all his hopes and dreams?

Okay. Brass tacks. I'm not hearing  the narrator really believing that change can happen. I hear the narrator still inside a box. His heart isn't open. He's still living inside his fear.

We really want to have some reason to believe that "And tonight I'm gonna find it". Give it to us.

Later,
Stan
I'm a lyricist seeking music writers to work with.

• Leonard Scaper
  • Global Moderator
  • Executive Chef
  • Guest Chef

• Terra Firma
  • more
Reply #18 on: October 30, 2018, 11:28:54
@oorlab ........thanks for noticing those ambient touches in the chorus. they are actually two different electric guitar sounds from my Eleven Rack. I definitely wanted them to sound.....like you heard them.

@smajor .......very cool perspective of these lyrics. The thing is, I think you absolutely nailed it, now that I stop to really consider what I wrote. The narrator is still inside the box and there is real doubt in his mind that change can happen and that truth is out there to be found. He puffs up his courage that tonight he is going to find it but everything about the song......the stops and starts....the switch briefly to a minor chord......all of that belies the fact that he is still extremely uncertain.

I did not write it that way, though. I just let the song form itself as I always do. It took a real songwriter like @smajor to tease all that out.

8)

Reply #19 on: October 31, 2018, 13:52:37
Ello mate, Eric here, new guy.
Groovy song man, very stripped down and intimate, confessional like.
I gotta say the vocal was a bit too intimate for me. ;D  it was practically in my face. No offence but dyou think a more sympathetic reverb on the vocal might suit the song better? Y'know, you're in a sticky situation with your woman,  you don't wanna invade her space,  you wanna gently impress her with your contrition? Just a suggestion.
 I like your style, man. It's a cert she took you back after hearing this.

• Leonard Scaper
  • Global Moderator
  • Executive Chef
  • Guest Chef

• Terra Firma
  • more
Reply #20 on: October 31, 2018, 15:28:10
Hey @eric craptone ........thanks for that critical listen. I do freely admit to keeping my vocals way too dry mostly.  I guess I get too hung up on that more natural sound. That vocal was even more up front before I put a bit of stereo delay on it.  :)

We're not quite sure if she took him back or not.....or even if he found the truth he was searching for.  ;)

• Leonard Scaper
  • Global Moderator
  • Executive Chef
  • Guest Chef

• Terra Firma
  • more
Reply #21 on: November 01, 2018, 12:51:15
I want to thank all of you for listening to this one and offering helpful critique. Last night I pulled the song back up and dialed in a soft kick and some brush slaps. The brushes sound pretty cool.....might be just what this song needs. I'll be messing with it a bit now.

:) :) :)

Reply #22 on: November 02, 2018, 00:10:28
I liked the change from 0 50 and the appearance of the strings in 1.01. Thus the song opens up, it is filled with space.
I am a lover of the guitar, perhaps I miss at some moments some "subtle" change in the rhythm that the chords give, I do not know if I explain myself, well, they are my things.
For the rest, it is a very intimate song and the voice gives the intention it needs.
I like your sound.
I did not know that to live I had to die so many times
My Youtube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAaK7mFK7fUpf1E99I1Qtow

• Leonard Scaper
  • Global Moderator
  • Executive Chef
  • Guest Chef

• Terra Firma
  • more
Reply #23 on: November 02, 2018, 11:18:17
Thank you for stopping by for a listen @Mora Amaro La Loba , As @MichaelA mentioned, I am somewhat of an acquired taste so I appreciate that you get the feel of what I am doing.

Reply #24 on: November 02, 2018, 11:51:59
serious good stuff, I like that chorus and can't help to join in, humming.
 Through hills that feel alive
And into those mountains ,
uh I love that line, very good composition in vocals.

I am longing for a rhythm here that suits the lines on the road , but on the other hand, this road is not a highway,
so that kind of slow and carry on rhythm makes it an unique piece of  a serious good song.

You did it again. A great composition. ::thumb::

• Leonard Scaper
  • Global Moderator
  • Executive Chef
  • Guest Chef

• Terra Firma
  • more
Reply #25 on: November 02, 2018, 12:01:07
Hey @Chris Spruit .......glad you gave this one a listen. VERY interesting perspective on how the rhythm reflects the road. That road is more of a switchback mountain road with tricky twists and turns I think.  ;)

The song is back up in front of me now. A few judicious percussion additions seem to be smoothing it out a bit. We'll see where that ends up.

• LePlongeur
  • Chef de Partie
  • In Tartiflette we trust

• Today at 08:02:24
    • Greater Amsterdam
  • more
Reply #26 on: November 02, 2018, 12:26:43
When I was  typing this, you @Leonard Scaper we’re posting an answer to @Chris Spruit ‘s post.
So I have to do it different now.
I agreed very very much with Chris. And I asked you not to change it.

Tell you why.
I wrote and published a libertine lyrics about the things you can do in a cupboard when there’s a party going on.
So while having your own party, there are still ways to keep an eye on the other party.
It’s the kind of thing that’s laughed about where I live, but doesn’t go down too well over here I guess.
And a friend of mine ‘instructed me’ to polish it up, avoid the noise and wall of sound thingy that usually frames my music.
At first I liked the idea of a firmly different approach. So, based on those lyrics, Wednesday I made a song that way and Thursday I did another. Still fully intending to publish one of the two songs.

Only this morning I listened to what I made and was shocked by the result. As non accomplished musician I stand out because of my shortcomings and rough mix.
Now that I dolled everything up and made it more acceptable, all the ‘me’ and recognition has gone.
I promised myself (and the friend) that i’ ll not ever publish those songs.

A rather long story. But I hope you will never give in to MOR - ish attempts to make your music less unique.
In fact in line with Chris’ remarks concerning rhythm and feel of the road.
And now I go and have a listen to all your changes. And I am going to say nothing about them.
Simply because you are the captain on your ship.
Kind regards, Gus

• Leonard Scaper
  • Global Moderator
  • Executive Chef
  • Guest Chef

• Terra Firma
  • more
Reply #27 on: November 02, 2018, 13:10:36
That's good advice Gus @LePlongeur . I'll be looking hard at the changes over the weekend and considering whether or not they belong before posting a revised mix..

Not to worry, my friend,......I will remain what I am.  ;)

8)

Reply #28 on: November 02, 2018, 22:50:50
Hi Leonard, I LOVE the clear guitar sound and tone you have. The chord change into the chorus is lovely as well.

• Leonard Scaper
  • Global Moderator
  • Executive Chef
  • Guest Chef

• Terra Firma
  • more
Reply #29 on: November 03, 2018, 18:45:13
@realkevm ......I really appreciate that about the tone and especially the guitar sound. I do work hard at that and for this song I worked on my room to get a more natural sound.

To all......I have added some percussion..... kick, a sidestick in the verses and brushes in the choruses along with a ride cymbal . I like it.

https://www.soundclick.com/html5/v4/player.cfm?songID=13798679

xx
Truth is true

Started by oorlab on Songs for review

16 Replies
Last post October 24, 2018, 21:07:47
by Mora Amaro La Loba
xx
Tort- Another Version Of The Truth

Started by Ghost Seminar on Songs for review

4 Replies
Last post March 11, 2016, 10:52:49
by Andrew Jezmund
xx
Frail Wings Of Truth

Started by Leonard Scaper on Songs for review

10 Replies
Last post June 20, 2017, 19:33:05
by Leonard Scaper
xx
TRUTH IS PACING 3 chord song SLIGHTLY REVISED!

Started by CrystalSuzy on Songs for review

14 Replies
Last post April 04, 2014, 14:24:55
by daren