• Patissier
  • Undomesticated Goddess

• December 15, 2018, 17:08:51
    • Surfers Paradise, Australia
    • http://twitter.com/hairburger www.soundcloud.com/monty-la-meer
  • more
Re: Truth
Reply #30 on: November 10, 2018, 08:24:49
I love this! I am sheepishly posting as I have been extremely absent from here and songwriting in general.

I HEAR NO KERMIT THE FROG IN YOUR VOICE! Having said that, I happen to love Kermie. And your voice. I especially love when it's up close and intimate like this. As someone who has been known to abuse reverb, I do admire the drier sound.

Never change your sound!!! It is a part of you. Experimentation is fun, but always be you.

I am interested on some people's takes on the lyrics. About whether the woman will take the person back. I don't quite hear it like that. It feels more like they are on a journey together but the person needs to keep following that road, those signs, and he needs "proof" of...possibility maybe.

Someone suggested he is still doubtful, still inside the box. I don't actually see how he could NOT be, if he is not yet at his destination so to speak. It's ok to have doubt. It shows he cares about the situation and outcome.  The opposite of doubt is either certainty or hope. In this case it comes across as certainty, but I think it's really hope.
"But never have I been a blue calm sea...I have always been a storm." - Stevie Nicks

Followed by Lady Gaga on Twitter since 2009! ❤

Some of Monty's songs:
www.soundcloud.com/monty-la-meer

• Leonard Scaper
  • Global Moderator
  • Executive Chef
  • Guest Chef

• Today at 15:43:36
    • Terra Firma
  • more
Reply #31 on: November 10, 2018, 11:40:24
Well @monty_lameer ....it's nice to see you here again.......and thank you for your kind words along with your in depth consideration of this story.

I actually just listened to the song again myself and I still don't quite have any real definition as to how it all ends.
"The main thing is to have a gutsy approach....but use your head." Julia Child

"In a world of robotic conformity, the only originality left in music is the imperfections" Eric Craptone

"Special thanks to Steve Gleason for making me who I am today." Leonard Scaper

Lenny's Tunes: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_music.cfm?bandID=540680

https://soundcloud.com/vincentgleason

• monty_lameer
  • Patissier
  • Undomesticated Goddess

• December 15, 2018, 17:08:51
    • Surfers Paradise, Australia
    • http://twitter.com/hairburger www.soundcloud.com/monty-la-meer
  • more
Reply #32 on: November 10, 2018, 12:03:09
Maybe it never does end. Maybe it evolves and grows and changes over time. Like...energy...and life itself.

And yes. I do love your voice.

Reply #33 on: November 10, 2018, 12:40:15
You have very masculine voice. I love it !

• Zedd
  • Global Moderator
  • Executive Chef

• Yesterday at 20:33:07
    • https://soundcloud.com/monnodb
  • more
Reply #34 on: November 10, 2018, 13:09:15
I like this a lot @Leonard Scaper . I don't miss percussion or an elaboration of the story at all - I think it works well as is.. Is that because I'm already familiar with your work? Not sure but I don't think so... Maybe because I use a lot of stop/starts and space in my own music? Not sure but I enjoyed it just the way it is  - some lovely lyrical touches in there too! Lovely!

• Leonard Scaper
  • Global Moderator
  • Executive Chef
  • Guest Chef

• Terra Firma
  • more
Reply #35 on: November 11, 2018, 10:43:16
Maybe it never does end. Maybe it evolves and grows and changes over time. Like...energy...and life itself.

I like that a lot. Interestingly, that is a motif that I am working on right now with something new.......

@Introverse77 ......thanks for listening.

@Zedd .............I guess there's not a lot we can do about who we are musically, right? I mean, you know....those of us who's styles have evolved over many years........

Thanks for always listening, Karen.

Reply #36 on: November 15, 2018, 09:12:49
Leonard .. I can really connect with what you're doing.  Nice  job.  I too have "stop and start songs".  The pauses are as important as the notes. Don't think you need extra percussion.  Great guitar work ! And good vocal.  I think you have a better studio than I do. My studio is  a laptop with garageband and an old mic.

• Leonard Scaper
  • Global Moderator
  • Executive Chef
  • Guest Chef

• Terra Firma
  • more
Reply #37 on: November 15, 2018, 13:35:26
Thanks for that @scojada91 . My studio is pretty basic but I do have a very good microphone and a very good preamp that allows me to sculpt my sound a bit on the way in with a bit of compression and EQ.

I have also spent a bit of time listening to my small room and tuning up its voice.  ;)

A good song, though, will always trump good gear, right?

• Lane
  • Poissonier
  • Karma Hunter

• December 16, 2018, 21:10:28
  • more
Reply #38 on: November 16, 2018, 17:48:47
so nice, I always enjoyed acoustic, just a "raw song [if you will] this stands out to me , simple production, the delivery is a feature to me, cuts away from all the  noise full production can have.  I`ll bet people leaned in to listen to this its that good.  [my thought]

::thumb::

• Leonard Scaper
  • Global Moderator
  • Executive Chef
  • Guest Chef

• Terra Firma
  • more
Reply #39 on: November 16, 2018, 22:28:53
Leaned in to listen.......what a wonderful and satisfying image for a songwriter.

Thanks for that @Lane

• Lane
  • Poissonier
  • Karma Hunter

• December 16, 2018, 21:10:28
  • more
Reply #40 on: November 17, 2018, 01:29:42
« Last Edit: November 17, 2018, 02:42:45 by Lane »
@Leonard Scaper

there were a few songs in the not so long ago past, " Stay..." Girl Crush  both with acoustic guitar and  the singer
one had a little harmony. that was it. I knew the minute I heard the songs they would fly.  both turned into #1  hits..

So in my thoughts if you nurse that style your having with that song for others you might write in that style,, I think its a win.
again [just my thoughts] 

Reply #41 on: November 17, 2018, 03:05:42
« Last Edit: November 17, 2018, 12:46:31 by M57 »
I really enjoyed this one.  I think it's one of your more accessible and well crafted songs melodically and harmonically speaking.

I find myself on both sides of the production fence with this one.  While on the one hand I think it should remain clean, I do feel like some of the spaces are just too empty, which takes away a sense of movement.   I think you have the right instrumentation, but I think you could better manage the percussion in a way that maintains movement.  In other words, I think this needs a groove and fills in the spaces.  A shaker might be too much  - it would suck all the space out. But a light drum kit, either with brushes or a cross-stick snare on the back beat could do the trick.  Also, I think this piece shouldn't have any cymbals. You need to use percussion to make music in the spaces (or leave space for the song. depending on your point of view), and not to punctuate what's already there, which is what the cymbals are doing right now.

Your bass lines are getting much better at spelling things out harmonically - but there are still a number of places where it turns what I think you want into something harmonically ambiguous. for instance at 0:43 You play a G and and then a D under a Dsus to D.  When you play the G it implies that you're playing a G(add9) chord.   Playing an A instead of a G better tells our ears that you're playing D chords.

• Leonard Scaper
  • Global Moderator
  • Executive Chef
  • Guest Chef

• Terra Firma
  • more
Reply #42 on: November 17, 2018, 11:40:13
Hey @Lane ....I truly appreciate your perspective on style. It's really too late for me to nurse mine though.......I pretty much yam what I yam now.  ;D

;D

@M57 .....your detailed critique is well timed, Mark. I am in the middle of working up something new and your observations on this current tune extrapolate perfectly, particularly on the cymbals that I tracked just a few minutes ago and are not sounding right.  I see just what you're saying about their misuse and I have just done pretty much the same thing.

Regarding the bass.....I appreciate your words of encouragement. I really love playing my 1969 Gibson EB3 bass. I was the bass player in my teenage band and again in a working three piece just after college but I never really learned to play it. If I stop to think I can identify the notes I'm playing but I have never once actually composed a bass line. These days, when the spirit moves me to track bass on a song I uncase the Gibson and just put down a track that feels right......usually two or three takes and the bass goes back in its case.  ;)

I listened back, though, and I hear exactly what you heard at 0:43 but I could not actually ever consciously play a G(add9) chord to save my life.  :-[

This is what happens when you produce in a vacuum....as many of us do. That's what I love about this place. With meaningful critiques like this one from @M57 we all get the benefit of a tight knit community of other songwriters and that can really expand our horizons.

Reply #43 on: November 22, 2018, 18:17:13

:praise: ::heart:: :praise:

:goatie:

also a goat understands a joke

• Leonard Scaper
  • Global Moderator
  • Executive Chef
  • Guest Chef

• Terra Firma
  • more
Reply #44 on: November 23, 2018, 02:00:31
@Goatrelated .......... :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

8)

xx
Truth is true

Started by oorlab on Songs for review

16 Replies
Last post October 24, 2018, 21:07:47
by Mora Amaro La Loba
xx
Tort- Another Version Of The Truth

Started by Ghost Seminar on Songs for review

4 Replies
Last post March 11, 2016, 10:52:49
by Andrew Jezmund
xx
Frail Wings Of Truth

Started by Leonard Scaper on Songs for review

10 Replies
Last post June 20, 2017, 19:33:05
by Leonard Scaper
xx
TRUTH IS PACING 3 chord song SLIGHTLY REVISED!

Started by CrystalSuzy on Songs for review

14 Replies
Last post April 04, 2014, 14:24:55
by daren