• 'Wild Waters' - bit positive, bit moody!
  • Started by MichaelA
  • MichaelA
  • Chef de Partie
  • Songwriting Addict

• August 31, 2019, 23:25:43
    • Somewhere near Liverpool, UK
  • more
'Wild Waters' - bit positive, bit moody!
on: January 30, 2018, 11:14:01
Hi folks, well I was wondering if I should hold this back with this and enter it into the Positive Song Contest. But then realised my version of 'positive' is most people's equivalent of serious depression, so I will take some anti-depressants or something and write something a bit more joyous for the comp!  ;) I blame it on the weather in my part of the UK actually! Then our Ms @Zedd prompted me to post this in any case, in another thread, so you can all blame her if you do not like it. Seems only fair!  ;D  ;D  ;D

So here it is...I have meddled with the vocal level a lot after realising a lot of my earlier songs have the voice very much out front. I think I have curbed my worst excesses here, well just a bit anyway, but have lost my judgement now after many playbacks mixing.

Anyway, the main thing is that I hope this one strikes a chord with you emotionally. Cheers all!

https://soundcloud.com/michael-a-duffy/wild-waters

Lyrics:

Wild Waters

Beat of a heart
Blink of an eye
Looked at your face
Then I knew you and I
Were
Yearning for the same thing

Snared in a trap
Jailed in a cell
Tried to escape
Never went well
Thereís
Burning for that one thing

CHORUS:
We begin
At once feel the ice on our skin
Through wild, wild waters
We must swim

We begin
And steel every bone, every limb
Through wild, wild waters
We must swim

Felt your resolve
Iron in your glove
Barriers dissolve
Smashed down by love
Then
Headed for the new light

Mountain snow shivers
Forests so dim
Dark swirling rivers
None dare to swim
When
Will we beat this long night?

RPT CHORUS

MID:
And weíre breaking out beyond the cloud
And weíre calling out our hopes so loud
And we put our trust in something true
Just you in me
And me in you

RPT CHORUS

If you like novels with a musical theme, why not try 'Sixth Beatle - When Music Changed The World', easily found on Amazon and Google. It is amazing, although as the author I may be biased!

Re: 'Wild Waters' - bit positive, bit moody!
Reply #1 on: January 30, 2018, 14:20:13
Well @MichaelA  I have the honor of being the first to write a review. I think the comparison of swimming through wild waters (not rough) is very creative.

The song really suites your voice and I love the arrangement.

Vince

• Leonard Scaper
  • Global Moderator
  • Executive Chef
  • Guest Chef

• Yesterday at 22:02:31
    • Terra Firma
  • more
Reply #2 on: January 30, 2018, 16:50:45
This is a good one @MichaelA . I just really like the way it flows....right from the top it is a perfectly mellow ride. The chorus really makes that happen for me, particularly the way you deliver the second half of each chorus and the way you repeat it enough times to make it very familiar and make it stick hard.

Good harmonies and good vocals all around. You are true to your style here and that makes for a very strong and confident presentation in general.
"The main thing is to have a gutsy approach....but use your head." Julia Child

"In a world of robotic conformity, the only originality left in music is the imperfections" Eric Craptone

"Special thanks to Steve Gleason for making me who I am today." Leonard Scaper

Lenny's Tunes: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_music.cfm?bandID=540680

https://soundcloud.com/vincentgleason

• irwin
  • Patissier
  • Karma hunter

• September 06, 2019, 16:30:17
    • https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCoYFKSWTAI&list=PLWHZTIkxOCWkm6lSQEDem0DQqTMSAoLVe
  • more
Reply #3 on: January 30, 2018, 16:59:04
Hi Michael, Good song with a good mood very cool and easy to listen to. I can see that this is your style of singing and your style of song.You are a creative writer.

• Dutchbeat
  • MADministrator
  • Michelin Starred Chef
  • If you can stand the Beat, get into the Kitchen!

• Yesterday at 22:05:48
  • more
Reply #4 on: January 30, 2018, 17:06:23
yes, that is very nice, it indeed has a very nice flow and the mix sounds full and clear  ::thumb:: ::thumb:: ::thumb::

good and strong song @MichaelA in my opinion, and yes...it struck a chord with me, the lyircs work well for me

i hear one thing, you might want to look into, at several places there is a bass note, ike on 0.49 where it sounds you hit two notes lying next to each other at the same time

and i had the feeling, that first bass note that goes up in the verses, perhaps better could go down...(perhaps an octave down? but down...the note is on 0.10 for instance). I think....well i think for me that would work better

but never mind that, very  NICE tune and lyrics IMO @MichaelA (and i blame @Zedd for it  ;D ;D ;D ;D::thumb::  ::headphone:: ::headphone:: ::headphone::
me, myself, and Pie

• LePlongeur
  • Sous Chef
  • In Tartiflette we trust

• Yesterday at 11:01:30
    • Greater Amsterdam
  • more
Reply #5 on: January 30, 2018, 19:10:33
I hate to break it to you all, but only minutes after posting, I was the one who fiirst listened to this song. I didnít post a review, but so what. I took the time to think it over. Or is it to mull it over? And did you do the same?

Whatever. I donít know if you guys (m/f) have noticed the different use of voice. Thereís a tremendous difference between a voice from the nothern part of Engeland and the southern part.

I know thereís something like the north South thingy (food for politicians, if you ask me), but this goes beyond that, for itís about the way voices are used.

I propose a study about the regional use of voices.
To coin a few:
- Sweden
- the netherlands
- alpine countries (mountainous Austria/Swiss)
- France (both in studio and in bed)
- England, both North and South
- maybe Scotland and Ireland too
- Billís November Sound Choir, jubilant beyond expectation
- Ukrainian
- Russian
- do you have a suggestion for a specific region I have overseen?

This may seem like a long winded answer, but I do believe in the quality of the music you post. And also I do believe that I need some time to get used to the feel. For the sound of voice differs.

It takes some getting used to, I believe the phrase is.
I hope you take it like the sportive guy I believe you are.
But this is what takes some time for non English speakers. RPT? Even the apple mafia turns that in to rot if Iím not careful. But luckily I am sometimes.
And 45 rpt seemed like a lot of repeating.....

Anyway, now that iíve becomed accustomed to the sound and the phrasing I learned to love it.

Formally this doesnít say much about your song. But it should tell you a lot about your non UK audience.
And this audience, me in any case, thank you very much for a lovely song.
Keep on keepiní on, as Curtis Mayfield used to say.
Thank you for posting, I say.
Kind regards, Gus

• MichaelA
  • Chef de Partie
  • Songwriting Addict

• more
Reply #6 on: January 30, 2018, 20:34:59
@Vince , well thanks for that first review and the SC comment! Short reviews work see!  ;)

Glad you liked it @Leonard Scaper , I too think it is stylistically identifiable with what I am trying to achieve, so glad you liked some elements.  ;)

Thanks for the positive comment also @irwin and @Dutchbeat.  Yes I will look at that bass Mr DB and see if I can spot what is bugging you. Thanks for being so precise and taking time on that comment!  ::thumb::

@LePlongeur that is interesting that you mention my regional accent. To my ears I am not strongly 'northern', although I admit nobody from the UK would say I was from the South either!  ;) I guess you just take these things for granted when you are happy to sing in the accent you adopt when speaking. But I do understand my particular accent might be hard to switch onto immediately if English is not your first language. But then again, you will also hear all kinds of accents from around the world here on this forum, which is one of its enjoyable aspects. That is why it is customary to post lyrics too, so if the phrasing is difficult to understand, at least you can read along. Thank you anyway for sticking with my way of singing and finally finding some enjoyment at the end!  ::thumb::

• LePlongeur
  • Sous Chef
  • In Tartiflette we trust

• Yesterday at 11:01:30
    • Greater Amsterdam
  • more
Reply #7 on: January 30, 2018, 21:05:57
@MichaelA
What a quick response. Great!!!
But clearly I havenít been able to tell you what I mean.
Whether you know it or not, the voice (use of your voice) is different. Listen to John Lennon for instance. He had this throaty voice that was unique and unrivaled. Completely unlike Stevie Marriott. One of my all time heroes.

So I donít address accents, but the underlying use/sound of the voice.
No English girl or woman sings the way one of my French friends do. Iím very much aware that Jane Birkin is not a French woman. But let one of my French friends breath/sing in your ear, and you marriage is definitely in the danger zone. Much as I respect and admire Cilla Black, thatís something else entirely.

That was the point I wanted to make. And, I really hope to have been able to set that straight.
So itís not about lyrics. In Dutch on a Dutch forum, I post my lyrics too. If only to make the words more accessible. Thanks for explaining anyway. Iíve grown to like it every very much.
Kind regards, Gus

• Mar T.
  • Senior Site Administrator
  • Michelin Starred Chef
  • Pay it forward! (watch that movie..)

• Yesterday at 19:26:22
    • Duiven
    • http://twitter.com/MartiMediaSC http://www.facebook.com/MartiMedia http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEBmQkchurQ https://soundcloud.com/martimedia
  • more
Reply #8 on: January 30, 2018, 23:17:15
Ooooh @MichaelA this is my favorite song from your camp to me, as of now.. This one sounds way more accessible to me than some of your other songs.
Lovely melody (stuck in my head immediately), beautiful words! I could easily hear this song in a 60's Roy Orbison kind of style (and I loooove that style).
I enjoyed listening, thanks for sharing my friend!
Cheers!
:mart:
I'm proud of this track, check it out! https://soundcloud.com/martimedia/dreams

Reply #9 on: January 30, 2018, 23:31:26
Wow @MichaelA that's beautiful! Really lovely song and I just love the lyrics in the chorus particularly... it's really well written but the chorus particularly grabbed hold of me when you sang it...

Great M8 too and the arrangement is lovely (do I declare you have a sound!?)...

And I love your accent - I've always been partial to people who naturally sing in their own accents (maybe because I do) and I guess it's probably not a choice for you (like for me), it's just what comes out!

Added to my SC collection and will be listening again..

K

(Happy to take the blame for you posting this!!  ;D ;D )

Reply #10 on: January 30, 2018, 23:36:10
Great melodies and cool harmonies in the middle part.  If you are still working on it , mixwise, why not try a wee bit drums.
Good luck!
recommending https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/How_Music_Works "How music works", book by David Byrne.

• MichaelA
  • Chef de Partie
  • Songwriting Addict

• more
Reply #11 on: January 31, 2018, 12:02:56
« Last Edit: January 31, 2018, 12:05:14 by MichaelA »
@LePlongeur , sorry, yes I understand now. Well I do know that most very successful artists have a very distinctive voice so that you recognise them usually after one line of a new song - think Leonard Cohen, or say Freddie Mercury from the past, or maybe Adele or Chris Martin today. Four artists there with different vocal abilities and techniques, but all very distinctive so that it sets them apart. Over the past couple of years I have been trying to develop a vocal sound and style  for me. I think I am getting there finally. But, of course, its distinctive nature will mean it is not to everybody's taste. But I do not mind, I would rather people say - 'Hey, that's a Michael A song!  ;D Thanks for the comment!

@Mar T. , I am so pleased you genuinely like this one. I shall have to dissect what it is that is making this one more popular than some of my others. Thanks for the 'accessibility' hint!  ;)

Cheers @Zedd, so it seems you are not getting blamed too badly, which is a bit of a shame really!  ;D Maybe next time you encourage me to post! It is a 'visual' song, being metaphorical of course, so I suspected you might like it when I got the site email that you had posted in the thread. I can quite often come up with a good lyric, or else a memorable melody. People seem to be commenting that I have managed both this time round. If only I could do it more often!!! I will probably have to wait until next year for my next inspiration to come along, damn it! Songwriting - at our best - is so elusive and unpredictable, don't you think? Why is it that most artists have large bodies of work, but only one, two or three songs that really stand out? Why can't we all be consistently brilliant? Sigh...  ;) Thanks for the lovely, encouraging comments anyhow! Appreciated.

@oorlab, thanks for this. Well I do have a background tambourine and shaker in the final third, don't want to overdo it!  ;D Actually I did try a bit of drumming, but found it a bit too heavy for the song. Probably didn't come up with the right combo, as it is quite a skill in itself, either finger drumming or finding the right loops, don't you think? Something I am a little less confident about at this point!  ;)

Reply #12 on: January 31, 2018, 13:13:16
I love this song @MichaelA  and I love your very distinctive vocals  ::heart:: The lyrics and melody really pull at my heart strings, so it's definitely hit an emotional chord for me
::heart:: The backing track is perfect for this song and I don't think your vocals are too loud. They, and the message they carry, are the highlight IMO  ::thumb::
A gorgeous well constructed song  ::Suzy::

• Mark Luto
  • Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
  • Enthusiastic Dilettante

• November 05, 2019, 20:34:48
    • Zurich, Switzerland
    • https://www.facebook.com/MarkLutoMusic/ https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2oOby1sRdVp60eBi8msivQ https://soundcloud.com/markluto
  • more
Reply #13 on: January 31, 2018, 23:01:51
I like the song a lot, probably my favourite of yours so far @MichaelA . ::headphone::
But I also think it was wise of you to not enter the Positive Song Competition with it. By far not positive enough! :D

• MichaelA
  • Chef de Partie
  • Songwriting Addict

• more
Reply #14 on: February 01, 2018, 11:21:05
Thanks for that lovely endorsement @CrystalSuzy, I am glad you connected with it emotionally - as did I with your song about your Dad just posted into the 'Life' section/fave track thread just now. Very moving - hard to write for you I am sure, but well done artistically on that success!

Yes @Mark Luto , very happy that you have found a favourite of mine for you, but I was only teasing about the Positive Song Contest entry potential!  ;D ;D ;D But you are right of course!  ;) Thanks for the listen, appreciated!

xx
changing a wav from 24 bit to 16 bit?

Started by Dutchbeat on The kitchen cafť

1 Replies
Last post May 03, 2014, 12:25:07
by Dutchbeat
clip
A bit of a smile

Started by MrBouzouki on The kitchen cafť

2 Replies
Last post July 11, 2019, 19:27:44
by Leonard Scaper