• MrBouzouki
  • Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
  • "Let the Creators Create" :-)

• Yesterday at 11:47:39
    • Sheffield, UK
  • more
« Last Edit: December 22, 2018, 01:45:00 by MrBouzouki »
Well I must thank @MichaelA and the last Kitchen competition for this.

I had got down an orchestral bed but couldn't complete my entry for various reasons but I didn't want to let the backing track go to waste.

So I wrote some brand new lyrics and did some tracking. I didn't like them so I did them again. I didn't like them either but I was getting closer and finally third time lucky I think.

I've literally just finished tracking this so besides taking out a few blips (2:25 am here ... ahh well) , so there is no Vox automation at all and some instrumental automation but nothing finalised yet. I just threw some reverb on the Vox using a setting on Fab Filter Pro R, just to make it a bit wet.

Not sounding too bad to my ears now  but as always, welcome to take any comments on board. It's the closest I've ever come to writing a Christmas song.

Lyrics - Winter in Love - P Goodrich (Dec 2018)

Now it's Winter and the days grow shorter
  At night there's a chill in the air
  But the frost and the snow cannot break me
  'Cause I'm in love with an angel so fair
  Who entered my world on the Autumn breeze
  And captured my heart with a prayer

(C)
  The snow falls, from heaven above
  So it's good to share Winter in Love

Now there's tinsel and lights round the fireside
  And Santa's soon coming to call
  And with laughter you pull on my heart-strings
  With your mistletoe kiss in the hall
  So we wrap up warm from those Winter nights
  And when I hold you, the snow starts to fall

(C)
  And the snow falls, from heaven above
  So it's good to share Winter in Love
  Winter in Love

(Bridge)   
   Oh, I'll never forget that first Winter-time
  And that Snowman we made in the glade
  And my hand holding yours through those days and nights
  With a promise of Spring's serenade
  And will Summers have passed since that special time
  It's still good to share Winter in Lo - o - --o - ove 

(C)
  The snow falls, from heaven above,
   It's still good to share Winter in Love
   And while the snow falls, from heaven above
   It's still good to share Winter in Love
   Winter in Love

Link Deleted  - completed song on SoundCloud now

"Love and Life is all about connections"

• MichaelA
  • Chef de Partie
  • Songwriting Addict

• March 06, 2019, 13:28:43
    • Somewhere near Liverpool, UK
    • HTTPS//:soundcloud.com/Michael-a-duffy
  • more
Re: Winter in Love ( Finally a song again ) - WIP 171218
Reply #1 on: December 17, 2018, 12:22:30
Hi @MrBouzouki , I am glad you finally got round to that lyric and vocal melody rewrite to add to your fine orchestral backing track. It is quite the charming thing, very evocative of Winter love.

Maybe it is a little on the long side now, as a song? So maybe the intro could be cut in half in my view so you grab attention via the vocal quicker. But a personal view, of course.

How is your reverb level on that vocal line compared to the backing track? It does sound a bit drier to me. However you do it, I would suggest you make the vocal sink into the track a bit more evenly with the original piece.

But a well developed and an original re-imagining of the 'Two Hearts' initial inspiration. It has been great to see this one evolve!  ::thumb::
If you like novels with a musical theme, why not try 'Sixth Beatle - When Music Changed The World', easily found on Amazon and Google. It is amazing, although as the author I may be biased!

Reply #2 on: December 18, 2018, 02:22:23
It is a very romantic song having all the necessary ingredients but I think your voice needs another reverb level, this would help integrate the voice with the music and make it more "magical"
Remember, it's a love song, the melody of the voice has to be more ethereal.  I love this "So it is good to share Winter in Love"
I did not know that to live I had to die so many times
My Youtube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAaK7mFK7fUpf1E99I1Qtow
My Vimeo Songs of Thought channel:
https://vimeo.com/channels/moraamarolaloba
My Vimeo Downtempo channel:
https://vimeo.com/channels/moramarolalobadowntempo

• Goatrelated
  • Chef de Partie

• Yesterday at 08:32:52
    • Kwadalumpor
  • more
Reply #3 on: December 18, 2018, 11:50:12
 ::heart:: ::heart:: ::heart::

I love it, also your fragile voice,  :loveit:
also a goat understands a joke

Reply #4 on: December 18, 2018, 15:44:43
@MrBouzouki

Nice beginnings here. I have a few suggestions on this one that you might agree with.

- Increase bpm slightly
-Apply light Melodyne treatment to the vox track
-Remove all of the words "and" "but". I heard one at :56 with "and" , One at 2:11 and a few more places here and there.
-Solo of some kind at 3:11. I can hear a romantic sax played there and maybe interspersed in other places
-I agree with those who say the vox should sit slightly back in the mix for a better vox/music balance. Either through use of light reverb, lower vox input, or both.
- The rhythm seems to need something. Not sure what. Maybe a different sound here and there?

Disclaimer- None of the views expressed in this info are necessarily held by others and you might not agree with them. ;D

• Leonard Scaper
  • Global Moderator
  • Executive Chef
  • Guest Chef

• Today at 10:32:17
    • Terra Firma
  • more
Reply #5 on: December 19, 2018, 13:41:19
Good song....and nice to hear you singing again.

One way to get those vocals tucked more into your mix without resorting to lots of possibly unnatural reverb is to use a stereo delay. I often go this route with vocals and other instruments.

Put a stereo delay on the track as an insert and set up very short delays. I like 5 ms and 9 ms with no feedback. Then the real trick is to make that delay very dry. I adjust the wet/dry down to under 15% wet. You'll hear the result and it can be very natural sounding. Just an idea.
"The main thing is to have a gutsy approach....but use your head." Julia Child

"In a world of robotic conformity, the only originality left in music is the imperfections" Eric Craptone

"Special thanks to Steve Gleason for making me who I am today." Leonard Scaper

Lenny's Tunes: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_music.cfm?bandID=540680

https://soundcloud.com/vincentgleason

• oorlab
  • Chef de Partie
  • savoir vivre

• March 19, 2019, 00:09:14
    • netherlands
    • https://twitter.com/oorlab https://soundcloud.com/oorlab
  • more
Reply #6 on: December 20, 2018, 00:25:48
cool song @MrBouzouki ! Has that Bing Crosby feel that belongs to this season. Indeed remixing the vocal as was suggested by others sounds like a good idea.  @Timothy Smith  - what is a Melodyne treatment?
recommending https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/How_Music_Works "How music works", book by David Byrne.

• Marcus Nalgaber

Reply #7 on: December 20, 2018, 14:47:04
« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 14:54:33 by Marcus Nalgaber »
I really like this winter walk
I think it has those things inside that can not be explained but that make it intimate and personal.
Congratulations 

Reply #8 on: December 21, 2018, 01:24:14
Hey @MrBouzouki  Ö. this sounds really good. Serious potential here!  :) It's coming along great and I think some of the suggestions you got already may be useful for you. ( except that sax solo thing ..... I'm always opposed to that  :D ..ha,ha )

This reminds me of that classic Van Morrison album where he had the "Someone Like You" song and others with that string section. ( This is meant as compliment) What you're making is very classy with some real nice vocal melodies in there especially the stuff you're doing around 4:00. 

Good Show!

-11 ::Note::
Bill
Songwriter, Keyboards, Arranger, Producer & Engineer for November Sound

November Sound is based on the Mother, Father & Son musical trio of Melissa, Bill & Will. I'm the father so anything I post will have my wife singing and/or my son playing percussion.

• MrBouzouki
  • Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef

• Sheffield, UK
  • more
Reply #9 on: December 21, 2018, 01:41:27
Cheers folks ... just a quick update as it's 00:26 again and I need to get some sleep.

@Bill from November Sound will be pleased that I took @Timothy Smith 's advice and added a solo, BUT I tried lots of instruments and ended up with a synth solo. Hard to believe but it really works in this.... just wait and see ;-P

Also @Leonard Scaper will be interested in how I've approached the engineering for the Vox this time.

I recorded the vocals without any inline processing at all. No compression, maximisers, eq, any of that stuff.
So the original Vox you can hear is straight off the mic and my interface.  I just slapped a bit of reverb on to make it a bit palatable for the WIP.

Now, instead of using a compressor, I've hand- automated all the vocal track in a similar manner to how I hand automate  strings etc. I feel this has given me better dynamic control although it is more time -consuming of course.

I wanted an intimate sound but as others have mentioned with some nice reverb too. To this end, I've employed side-chained reverb.
This is using a second identical track that is a feed track for the automation of a compressor that follows the reverb. The feed track damps down the reverb return when the Vox is present. So it's a type of ducking, but FX ducking not volume ducking. This results in a nice clear, intimate Vox, you can hear the story,  but when the Vox pauses you get a bloom of reverb as the compressor backs off.

Others might already be familiar with this technique but it's the first time for me and I like it. :-)

• LePlongeur
  • Chef de Partie
  • In Tartiflette we trust

• Today at 09:14:14
    • Greater Amsterdam
  • more
Reply #10 on: December 21, 2018, 07:54:40
Normally, when playing a SC song, I see a heart at the bottom of the page. When iím logged in of course.
But something or somebody took the heart out of it.
A WIP without a heart would be called Ďeen snelle wipí* in Amsterdam, contrasting very much with the romantic nature of the song.

Anyway, I tried very much to like it. But it looks like that the Gods are against it.
Iím really sorry. But I like it anyway.
Kind regards, Gus

*casual sex

• MrBouzouki
  • Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef

• Sheffield, UK
  • more
Reply #11 on: December 21, 2018, 09:50:52
Just to prove I do listen to comments on here I've reviewed the bpm after a comment by @Timothy Smith and it was a weird 62.5 bpm.
What's with the .25 ??? I don't know ... lol

Anyway, I've increased it to 65 bpm. Now that doesn't seem to be much but it just lifts the mood a little and makes it slightly happier and less plodding along. I like that as it's essentially a happy song. I think Gus might prefer the version I have as a result. ;-)

The eagle eyed might realise it's gender neutral too, even though it's a male voice singing it.

Reply #12 on: December 21, 2018, 17:54:01

This mix is much better Pete!  You are fast becoming a master mixing engineer! The song fits the holiday season very well!

Congrats on a nice little project!

xx
Winter in Love

Started by MrBouzouki on Songs for review

3 Replies
Last post December 28, 2018, 16:55:54
by Mora Amaro La Loba
xx
Winter (Instrumental) - WIP UPDATED MIX 101218

Started by MrBouzouki on Songs for review

13 Replies
Last post December 12, 2018, 15:39:17