• Sous Chef
  • savoir vivre

• Yesterday at 23:48:49
    • netherlands
  • more
Without an anchor
on: February 21, 2020, 16:45:21
https://soundcloud.com/oorlab/without-an-anchor

Hi there, this song started out as an attempt to emulate a beat I heard on soundcloud:
https://soundcloud.com/cwnannwnmoddeydhoodigit/sugar-cookies -

Then I put in some freeware synths and a spoken word sample. Left it simmering for a month or so, without any intention to do anything with it.
Somehow I picked it up by adding guitars and singing about partly current fashions in project management, and also travelling.

T-Force Alpha Plus, Orpheus, Surge, Lith, SynthMasterPlayer and Drumatic
and the native Cubase VST instrument Groove agent.
Fender stratocaster, Hohner acoustic guitar and Roland V-drum

Also containing a sample from Librivox, public domain
hungarian_awalesibardok_arany_dii Diana Majlinger Librivox Janos Arany-det
http://www.archive.org/download/multilingual_poetry_016_1011_librivox/hungarian_awalesibardok_arany_dii.mp3

Without an anchor

pretty face is on the case.
He might just make it click,
Frame it and spin it
and get something done.
Could turn into something big.

the window of opportunity
is rapidly closing now.
A pretty face must just be enough,
to make them think
they know the why and how.

Without an anchor
You cannot sail,

Without a rudder
you're bound to fail .

take only things
that are packable,
in storm and wind and rain.

Without a compas
you'll wander in vain.

The master of scrum
is proclaiming
The definition of done
'Agile and lean':
what does it mean?
Could be anything
between the moon and the sun.

these lyrics don't have a deep meaning, I wrote them so that they would fit in the beat.
recommending https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/How_Music_Works "How music works", book by David Byrne.

• Dutchbeat
  • MADministrator
  • Michelin Starred Chef
  • If you can stand the Beat, get into the Kitchen!

• Today at 12:50:58
  • more
Re: Without an anchor
Reply #1 on: February 21, 2020, 18:31:37
hi @oorlab, you did it again  :thumbsup: what an original sound and combination of sounds and beats  ::thumb:: ::thumb:: ::thumb:: :pompom: :pompom: :pompom: :pompom:

sounds very good to me, so another like on your Soundcloud....and some extra karma coins on your kitchen account!  8) :o :o :o
me, myself, and Pie

Reply #2 on: February 24, 2020, 19:06:41
...interesting sound,  I really like that beat :)
One suggestion: for this type of style, it could be interesting to experiment more with the sound of the vocal and make it sound more different/creative
(in the likes of vocal treatment as used by e.g. Anne-Marie - Alarm; just before the bridge section / Tiesto songs / Zara Larsson/ Jonas Blue etc.)
Rachel  ::Rachel::
https://.com/rachel_debattista

• oorlab
  • Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
  • savoir vivre

• netherlands
  • more
Reply #3 on: February 25, 2020, 00:35:05
Thanks @Rachel_D  - will follow up on your suggestions and try a different vocal take. @smajor  also suggested a change in the lyrics that I can try.

Am listening to
https://soundcloud.com/iamannemarie/anne-marie-alarm

Do you mean electronic dance music  DJ TiŽsto ?

From Zara Larsson I am listening to - interesting use of vocoder / autotune. Cool electronic Pop from Sweden. They have lots af hardworking producers in Stockholm.

• LePlongeur
  • Sous Chef
  • In Tartiflette we trust

• Today at 11:33:26
    • Greater Amsterdam
  • more
Reply #4 on: February 25, 2020, 09:25:28
This one caught me by surprise.
It took some getting used to. But I gradually got into the quality that was already there. And I like your music a lot better than the Zara bit, where every 10 seconds another hairdo is clearly more important than her bland musical performance.

Maybe a matter of taste (as in my taste)  maybe a matter of bad taste or not in touch with the current affairs? Could very well be the case.
Maybe if you plug into this trend, you'll have mucho success.
But then, my grandmother warned me to be careful what I wish for.

So:
- Yesssssss, to @oorlab
- No to all the Zara's
Sail along my friend!
Kind regards, Gus

Reply #5 on: February 25, 2020, 10:16:53
@oorlab & @LePlongeur -   just to clarify, I did not want to mean shifting all out zara Larsen et al. style but rather view those references as an educational exercise and look at the way current songs are treating vocals in certain parts of the song (and the way the voice is used almost as another instrument/sample and viewed as a flexible medium which could take any shape) as it might be an interesting approach / additional means of experimentation for that particular kind of track.

• oorlab
  • Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
  • savoir vivre

• netherlands
  • more
Reply #6 on: February 25, 2020, 11:35:19
« Last Edit: February 27, 2020, 22:02:07 by oorlab »
@Rachel_D  - thanks, I understand. Vocals as an instrument. Brian Eno did that with U2 and Bowie. And I understood the Zara Larsen reference. I visited Stockholm a few years ago with a friend who tried to plug some songs to producers. It was a very interesting trip.

@LePlongeur  sure thing, this is a matter of taste. And fashion.

• LePlongeur
  • Sous Chef
  • In Tartiflette we trust

• Today at 11:33:26
    • Greater Amsterdam
  • more
Reply #7 on: February 25, 2020, 12:22:21
@oorlab & @LePlongeur -   just to clarify, I did not want to mean shifting all out zara Larsen et al. style but rather view those references as an educational exercise and look at the way current songs are treating vocals in certain parts of the song (and the way the voice is used almost as another instrument/sample and viewed as a flexible medium which could take any shape) as it might be an interesting approach / additional means of experimentation for that particular kind of track.

Dear ms R
You donít have to clarify anything.
 I fight for my right to think that the Zaraís are a bit nondescript for my taste. And at the same time I fight for your right to write anything at all if you think you help @oorlab along.
Please donít feel out of line (if this is OK English) @Rachel_D .
I had no intention to counter your suggestions. Iíd only rather listen to Oorlab than to the Zaraís.
I am really sorry if you felt/feld under attack!
Kind regards, Gus

Reply #8 on: February 25, 2020, 12:47:35
@oorlab - :) ...that sounds like a fun trip!

@LePlongeur - thanks for your message, sometimes speaking through screens and keyboards may not be the clearest way of communication so that's why I felt the need to send the previous message. Glad we're on the same page. Don't worry, I do not feel attacked - all is well :)

Have a nice day!
Rachel