• Wolf- (My struggle with depression/anxiety) NEW!
  • Started by Neal
  • Neal
  • Patissier
  • Karma Hunter

• July 06, 2020, 16:53:59
  • more
« Last Edit: June 20, 2020, 22:23:33 by Neal »
]I've always struggled to open up about my mental health. I spent most of my 20's not even acknowledging that i was depressed at times. Held myself back from getting real help, mainly out of pride and embarrassment. Coping with alchohol and drugs, like what i have to be sad for? My life is not that bad. But the truth is, i scare myself sometimes. To the point where my mind is creating crazy thoughts and manifesting physical health issues...Well i'm not embarrassed anymore. I recently have been seeking professional help. I want to get better for my family and myself. I also recently made two new songs touching on this illness. One called "Smoke Signals" and one that i want to show you today called "Wolf". Its the best way for me to express how i feel. If you can relate in anyway, please take a few minutes to check this out...love

Re: Wolf- (My struggle with depression/anxiety) NEW!
Reply #1 on: June 20, 2020, 23:19:42
hey @Neal   ... this is super high quality production! And, yes, the lyrics are relatable.

Anyway, God bless you in your healing process. You're doing the right thing and that can be hard to do.

Play number 70, Thumb Up #4 and your first comment courtesy of November Sound .... subscribed to you of course.  :)   

Building a community around your music is the key. This is good stuff but it's not going to share itself you know? People should hear this!

- 11 ::Note::
Bill
Songwriter, Keyboards, Arranger, Producer & Engineer for November Sound

November Sound is based on the Mother, Father & Son musical trio of Melissa, Bill & Will. I'm the father so anything I post will have my wife singing and/or my son playing percussion.

Reply #2 on: June 21, 2020, 16:19:20
Fantastic production.......truly moving lyrics.

There is great strength within you @Neal
"The main thing is to have a gutsy approach....but use your head." Julia Child

"In a world of robotic conformity, the only originality left in music is the imperfections" Eric Craptone

"Special thanks to Steve Gleason for making me who I am today." Leonard Scaper

Lenny's Tunes: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_music.cfm?bandID=540680

https://soundcloud.com/vincentgleason

• Neal
  • Patissier
  • Karma Hunter

• more
Reply #3 on: June 21, 2020, 21:50:13
@Bill from November Sound @Leonard Scaper

Thank you both! I appreciate the feedback

• Tolo
  • Saucier

• Today at 22:03:14
    • Johannesburg
  • more
Reply #4 on: June 22, 2020, 12:01:30
...yes...music can and will save your life if you allow it to breathe for you.

The best songs are derived from our vulnerabilities - and this has all the elements of a great track. The verses are beautifully sparse (still not sure about some of the fills and kit in there...but after a couple of listens may feel differently - it might rather be a 'sound' thing rather than an 'arrangement' thing) - your voice sits really nicely in there. The chorus has a great hook (is that a vocal sample that has been twisted?) - and the tom tom feel in there works a treat.

I play guitar because I cannot sing at all - so jealous because your voice has tons of texture and your intonation is great.

I really enjoyed it all round though - and well done for allowing this to be cathartic for you.

Tony
Pro Tools 2020.5
UAD Apollo Twin Duo
Furman AC210E
10.13 High Sierra
SSD Thunderbolt Audio
i9 7900 10 Core
64G Crucial DDR4

www.tonylowther.com

Reply #5 on: June 22, 2020, 12:10:36
Hi @Neal
I hope you are well! Your song is a really good production, the lyrics, I don't understand all of them but yes the general sense. Thank you for sharing. I liked it very much.
I did not know that to live I had to die so many times
https://vimeo.com/onacarom

• Mo
  • Rotisseur

• Today at 11:34:59
  • more
Reply #6 on: June 22, 2020, 18:14:26
Agree with the others, that sounds very professional production. You bring over the mood nicely although i'm not so good in understanding the lyrics itself @Neal
I thought it was  cool  how the guitar stabbed me right soon once the track started.

• Neal
  • Patissier
  • Karma Hunter

• more
Reply #7 on: June 22, 2020, 18:34:08
Thank you everyone! Really means a lot!

To bring some clarity to the concept of the song & lyrics... As simplified as i can make it, the wolf is a metaphorical symbol of my depression( my demons).  I based the song on the story of "The boy who cried wolf"  Except i flipped it a bit.  Instead of expressing my mental health, i've internalized it.  I tell my wife, family, friends that i'm okay...when i'm not. But now, i'm ready to open up about my darkness.. a cry for help. I'm sick of lying, hurting people, feeling hopeless and being unhappy. I don't want this to eat me up anymore. Will you give me another chance?  I used very literal wolf lyrics to bring an edgy vibe to the song, but it all has a deeper meaning for what i'm trying to convey.  I personally don't always like to be obvious with lyrics. I like for the listener to make their own interpretation of it sometimes. haha

Thanks again for listening!

• oorlab
  • Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
  • savoir vivre

• Yesterday at 22:53:21
    • netherlands
    • https://twitter.com/oorlab https://soundcloud.com/oorlab
  • more
Reply #8 on: June 22, 2020, 23:47:17
Interesting how you flipped the story - a good way to describe the difference between a story and a song.

And a wonderful song, very human. The singing style (the actual singing, but also the mix) reminds me of some earlier work by @Dutchbeat and
@Leonard Scaper   - eg. https://www.soundclick.com/music/songInfo.cfm?songID=14063117... a certain way to sing the words.

Stay strong!
new guitar 4-6-2020 https://soundcloud.com/oorlab/12string-demo1 12string Cort.

• IronKnee
  • Vegetable Chef
  • Karma Hunter

• June 24, 2020, 15:46:54
  • more
Reply #9 on: June 24, 2020, 15:46:54
I'm very impressed with everything about this.
I Know The Truth By My Struggle Against It

• Dutchbeat
  • MADministrator
  • Michelin Starred Chef
  • If you can stand the Beat, get into the Kitchen!

• Today at 21:53:44
  • more
Reply #10 on: June 24, 2020, 19:02:26
@Neal ...what a Gem!!!  :yes: :yes: :yes: captivating songwriting....that something so beautiful can come out of...writing about a depressive state of mind

great job!!!  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
me, myself, and Pie

• Neal
  • Patissier
  • Karma Hunter

• more
Reply #11 on: June 25, 2020, 19:45:24
Thanks so much everyone

Really enjoy the feedback!

• idledays
  • Apprentice
  • Karma Hunter

• July 07, 2020, 02:07:17
  • more
Reply #12 on: July 03, 2020, 22:12:42
WOAHHHH, this is really amazing. professional mixing, great song writing and amazing voice. really got the vibes of this and took me to the time in my life when i had the same issues.

Reply #13 on: July 06, 2020, 06:31:40
« Last Edit: July 06, 2020, 06:35:24 by Goatrelated »
I'm touched,  ::heart::
thank you for opening up and making such  a beautiful song. Love the part were you shortly rap. And wonderful the fading of leave me alive.....

:goatie:
Jeete

• Neal
  • Patissier
  • Karma Hunter

• more
Reply #14 on: July 06, 2020, 16:53:59
@idledays @Goatrelated

Wow, that means a lot to me. Thanks for the kind words!