• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
  • "Let the Creators Create" :-)

• Today at 14:20:14
    • Sheffield, UK
  • more
capo d'astro ... a reminder of it's usefulness
on: November 07, 2017, 19:20:31
I just wanted to post this up for guitarists as a reminder about how use of a 'capo' can be a useful bump with starting new ideas, getting the guitar in a more useful register etc.
Not just acoustic guitar of course, but banjo, bouzouki, mandolin and electric guitar can all benefit from it's use. If it doesn't sound right with you singing in one key for your voice , then capo it up and try another.

Not just standard tuning, but open and altered tunings can be freshened up, and given a new lease of life. Perhaps you might want to only capo three strings or four, to perhaps leave the bottom ones as a drone. 
Self-tuned stringed instruments give you so many opportunities so use them all and see if your next song is hiding just out of the normal range.  ::headphone:: ::headphone:: ::headphone::

"Love and Life is all about connections"

• Leonard Scaper
  • Global Moderator
  • Executive Chef
  • Guest Chef

• Yesterday at 17:37:31
    • Terra Firma
  • more
Re: capo d'astro ... a reminder of it's usefulness
Reply #1 on: November 07, 2017, 19:46:37
Good reminder MrB!!

I use my old trusty capo frequently. On my last tune I even capo'd my electric guitar.

The capo is a good friend to someone like me who pretty much just plays the "cowboy chords"  ;)

:) :) :)
"The main thing is to have a gutsy approach....but use your head." Julia Child

"In a world of robotic conformity, the only originality left in music is the imperfections" Eric Craptone

"Special thanks to Steve Gleason for making me who I am today." Leonard Scaper

Lenny's Tunes: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_music.cfm?bandID=540680

https://soundcloud.com/vincentgleason

• MichaelA
  • Chef de Partie
  • Songwriting Addict

• August 31, 2019, 23:25:43
    • Somewhere near Liverpool, UK
    • HTTPS//:soundcloud.com/Michael-a-duffy
  • more
Reply #2 on: November 08, 2017, 11:32:25
Well, @MrBouzouki I appreciated my capo very much so on the current tune I am working on. It started off life in the key of C major, which is fine as a classic 'cowboy' chord,( as @Leonard Scaper cals them  ;D.) But it needed to sound a bit perkier, so out came the capo and onto the fifth fret. So now I was starting with a fresher E major, but using the same shape C chord. This sounded a lot brighter than playing the E in its conventional placing, lower down the guitar, a chord with a very deep and serious resonance.

As a kid in bands I always played bar chords on electric guitars, but these days find I don't get the 'sweetness' I am after on acoustic guitars, so go for the old open chords, assisted by capo. This is pretty much the technique I use to start writing most of my songs, even though quite often I will switch to digital instruments later...

I never know really whether my preference for open chords is more a symptom of less than perfect technique, or that the capo does indeed make things sound sweeter? Nice topic btw.
If you like novels with a musical theme, why not try 'Sixth Beatle - When Music Changed The World', easily found on Amazon and Google. It is amazing, although as the author I may be biased!

Reply #3 on: November 09, 2017, 04:21:45
I can't get the hang of guitar.
Melissa plays a bit.....but anyway I wanted to add Ukelele. :) You can use a capo on Ukelele.

Melissa played some tenor ukelele on our latest song on SC and she plays it some at all of our gigs now.

That's pretty much all I can add to this fine conversation.  ;)
Bill
Songwriter, Keyboards, Arranger, Producer & Engineer for November Sound

November Sound is based on the Mother, Father & Son musical trio of Melissa, Bill & Will. I'm the father so anything I post will have my wife singing and/or my son playing percussion.

• Leonard Scaper
  • Global Moderator
  • Executive Chef
  • Guest Chef

• Yesterday at 17:37:31
    • Terra Firma
  • more
Reply #4 on: November 09, 2017, 12:57:34
I strapped on this 35 year old capo this morning to play a bit before heading off to work.....and the nylon strap finally let go.  :(

A capo can serve other purposes as well, btw. My 000 martin has a 1-11/16" nut width, which is a bit narrow for my clunky fingers, especially up there in the ever so popular "cowboy chord" position. By capoing up two frets I can get a bit more comfortable.

Also.....my 1966 Stella guitar has pretty high action. By capoing up I can get that action down a bit.

• MichaelA
  • Chef de Partie
  • Songwriting Addict

• August 31, 2019, 23:25:43
    • Somewhere near Liverpool, UK
    • HTTPS//:soundcloud.com/Michael-a-duffy
  • more
Reply #5 on: November 09, 2017, 16:11:01
Well that's disappointing @Leonard Scaper , only 35 years service out of your capo. I hope you kept the receipt!  ;)

• Jim
  • Chef de Partie
  • Weirdy Beardy

• April 27, 2019, 01:33:24
    • Nottingham, GB
    • https://soundcloud.com/jim-clark-17
  • more
Reply #6 on: November 09, 2017, 16:49:40
« Last Edit: November 09, 2017, 22:31:09 by Jim »
I used to have one of those nylon capos but it didn't fit round my electric guitar right (I forget now whether it was 'between' settings or not, but I know it needed a big wedge of paper adding to get it to work).  But then I discovered the G7!

;D

A thing of wonder...works on everything...only complaint versus a nylon one is that its profile is a little higher and can make some root position chords a bit tricky to play if it's pushed right up to the fret...luckily I don't suffer from fret buzz on my current guitars but this could be an issue.

You can also get a quite different timbre from guitars with the capo quite high up...e.g.,

Here Comes the Sun (queued up)...which has an almost mandolin sound to it.  ;)

• MrBouzouki
  • Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
  • "Let the Creators Create" :-)

• Today at 14:20:14
    • Sheffield, UK
  • more
Reply #7 on: November 10, 2017, 00:59:08
I forgot to mention my capo of choice is a Shubb C1. It' an old friend.

xx
A reminder about making music

Started by MrBouzouki on The kitchen café

2 Replies
Last post July 19, 2019, 09:15:46
by LePlongeur
xx
Gentle reminder: give and take on our forum

Started by Mar T. on Forum News/Updates

18 Replies
Last post August 14, 2017, 01:22:09
by Mar T.
xx
Reminder: giving and taking in the Kitchen...

Started by Mar T. on Forum News/Updates

2 Replies
Last post May 27, 2018, 03:38:50
by Mar T.