• Advice requested for demo videos
  • Started by Bill from November Sound
Advice requested for demo videos
on: October 14, 2018, 21:08:29
« Last Edit: October 15, 2018, 02:44:11 by Bill from November Sound »
I'm not sure where to post this. (either here or "life" I guess.)

I'm making two new demo videos: 1. for the full band - Drums, Keys, Guitar and Voice  2. for the acoustic set - Cajon, Keys, Ukele, Voice

At this point most of our work is the "acoustic" set up.
For the full November Sound moving forward I'm adding my former student, Tom, on guitar .... at least that's the plan. To fit in playing the larger shows we really need the lead guitar.

Here's where I need help. I want the music on the video to be as realistic as possible - so..... when it comes to ukelele and guitar do I still use the double tracking techniques that I would for our recording recordings??? Normally I double track and pan to both sides. Here, would I just do a single mono track and pan it to place the guitarist is on stage? If Melissa is playing Ukelele do I put the Uke dead center where she's singing? IDK.  ???

When recording video I plan to do a live take and a :fit the video to the music" take. Some of the rooms that we are recording in might sound lousy.

Help please!

Bill
Songwriter, Keyboards, Arranger, Producer & Engineer for November Sound

November Sound is based on the Mother, Father & Son musical trio of Melissa, Bill & Will. I'm the father so anything I post will have my wife singing and/or my son playing percussion.

• Leonard Scaper
  • Global Moderator
  • Executive Chef
  • Guest Chef

• Yesterday at 20:27:42
    • Terra Firma
  • more
Re: Advice requested for demo videos
Reply #1 on: October 15, 2018, 12:57:45
I can't help with the video stuff, but with panning decisions on your sound I would try to get the core instruments wide to establish the perimeters of your perceived sound stage and then find places in the between hard L/R and center for the accent instruments like that new guitar.

If Melissa is singing and playing I would pan the uke just a bit off center from her to give her voice all the space it needs and to also give the uke its own space
"The main thing is to have a gutsy approach....but use your head." Julia Child

"In a world of robotic conformity, the only originality left in music is the imperfections" Eric Craptone

"Special thanks to Steve Gleason for making me who I am today." Leonard Scaper

Lenny's Tunes: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_music.cfm?bandID=540680

https://soundcloud.com/vincentgleason

Reply #2 on: October 16, 2018, 04:12:35
@Leonard Scaper  .... should I still do the double tracked guitars? Or just a single?   

• Leonard Scaper
  • Global Moderator
  • Executive Chef
  • Guest Chef

• Yesterday at 20:27:42
    • Terra Firma
  • more
Reply #3 on: October 16, 2018, 10:32:13
If you are doubling the instruments that you have on the outsides you might consider just a single mono track for the instruments that  you are placing elsewhere on the sound stage. Those doubled foundation instruments will be creating a nice subtle stereo wash and the other accent instruments will stand out better if they are in mono. A mix with some doubles and some mono tracks will tend to sound more dynamic.

That, of course, is just one way to look at things.  ;)

If you feel as though those mono guitars need to be a little "thicker" you can always send the mono track to a bus with a short delay and pan that away a bit.

Reply #4 on: October 16, 2018, 14:54:08
Hi @Bill from November Sound  I can't help you on the recording, but I do watch a lot of videos ( I like the ones from you live from Buffalo ). I just want to mention don't forget to pay attention to the lighting. More than a few  home made videos that  I've watched have been dark and it's hard to see the band. Also, I get sea sick from all the camera movement. 

It's always nice to see your smiling faces (unless your into the latest "we're too cool to smile" look).

Vince

xx
Believe (First demo, advice needed)

Started by realkevm on Songs for review

6 Replies
Last post March 23, 2019, 13:17:48
by realkevm
xx
My Town - production critique humbly requested

Started by Mihkay on Songs for review

6 Replies
Last post August 27, 2015, 20:16:57