• anyone has extreme effects mix tips for vocals to share?
  • Started by Dutchbeat
  • Dutchbeat
  • Administrator
  • Michelin Starred Chef
  • If you can stand the Beat, get into the Kitchen!

• Yesterday at 20:04:58
  • more
i am looking for tips and fXs that make vocals sound extremely different, bizarre, over the top or weird, just for fun

anyone has extreme tips on experimenting with FXs on vocals? perhaps @budhabuilding @MrBouzouki @oorlab @Pleudoniem @Mora Amaro La Loba @Leonard Scaper @Dave Bradley @redmando @Dakoda @Timothy Smith @Mylene @Mo @gabrivux @cheff daniel @LenB  and @allothers?

me, myself, and Pie

• Mo
  • Chef de Partie

• January 15, 2021, 14:16:11
  • more
Re: anyone has extreme effects mix tips for vocals to share?
Reply #1 on: December 27, 2020, 18:27:18
Hii @Dutchbeat,

probably it won`t help you because i can't share it but I have fun with the voice modes of Garageband. Beside the regular modes, as classic, dance, narrow, bright etc pp. it has an experimental mode that provides several odd things, like tube, phone, helium, deeper, extrem delayed  and some others. Just right today i played around with the 'monster' voice... that was really cool ;D
Additionally the voice can go through the GB fx to distort them more.
Very interesting field ::thumb::... hope an other maybe have better tipps for downloads or so.

Reply #3 on: December 27, 2020, 19:58:04
My voice already sounds extremely different, bizarre,  over the top and weird.....so......   8)
"The main thing is to have a gutsy approach....but use your head." Julia Child

"In a world of robotic conformity, the only originality left in music is the imperfections" Eric Craptone

"Special thanks to Steve Gleason for making me who I am today." Leonard Scaper

Lenny's Tunes: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_music.cfm?bandID=540680

https://soundcloud.com/vincentgleason

Reply #4 on: December 27, 2020, 23:05:28
jack Daniels and marlboro, but thats not really great advice. sorry. maybe you can try to exaggerate a d esser, that sounds really weird.

gr. Dan

Reply #5 on: December 28, 2020, 00:18:49
jack Daniels and marlboro, but thats not really great advice. sorry. maybe you can try to exaggerate a d esser, that sounds really weird.

gr. Dan

Great advice @cheff daniel   ;D.  ..... but I think @Dutchbeat has already tried all that. Right @Dutchbeat:lol:  :D.
Bill
Songwriter, Keyboards, Arranger, Producer & Engineer for November Sound

November Sound is based on the Mother, Father & Son musical trio of Melissa, Bill & Will. I'm the father so anything I post will have my wife singing and/or my son playing percussion.

• oorlab
  • Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
  • savoir vivre

• Yesterday at 22:43:11
    • netherlands
    • https://twitter.com/oorlab https://soundcloud.com/oorlab
  • more
Reply #6 on: December 28, 2020, 14:53:04
« Last Edit: December 28, 2020, 19:22:19 by oorlab »
@Dutchbeat a trick that can be spooky at certain places in a vocal mix could be reverse reverb. You do it by reversing a vocal sample, putting a long reverb on it, and then reverse that again. Wouldn't do that on a whole track though. That might be too weird.
new guitar 4-6-2020 https://soundcloud.com/oorlab/12string-demo1 12string Cort.

• Dutchbeat
  • Administrator
  • Michelin Starred Chef

• more
Reply #7 on: December 28, 2020, 19:14:05
« Last Edit: December 28, 2020, 19:25:59 by Dutchbeat »
thank you @cheff daniel  (and @Bill from November Sound)

yes, i have tried the drinking and smoking effect on vocals  ;D ;D ;D ;D and thanks @budhabuilding for the links to weird effects :thumbsup: , also thanks @oorlab  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: and @Mo   :ok:  :thumbsup:

and @Leonard Scaper   .... ;D ;D ;D your voice is awesome... in my opinion, BUT are you saying  8) :o ..that you voice happens to sound so cool without any effects?  :blackgrin: :blackgrin: :shinyteeth: :shinyteeth: :shinyteeth: you sprinkle some .....effects...right? like...perhaps...some drops of ...COMPRESSION... 8) 8) 8) just drops... right?  :shinyteeth: :shinyteeth:

Reply #8 on: December 28, 2020, 19:50:10
you sprinkle some .....effects...right? like...perhaps...some drops of ...COMPRESSION... 8) 8) 8) just drops... right?  :shinyteeth: :shinyteeth:

I compress a little on the way in and then a little more in the box. I EQ for mud, harshness and presence, but very carefully. I don't like a lot of reverb but I do always use a little plate and a little room. I always send my vocal track to a stereo delay on a bus but I don't use very much of that.

That's about it. When I first started doing this I used to sing through a TC Helicon Quintet, which is a vocal harmonizer, to try to disguise my inherent weaknesses. I finally decided to just man up and be Lenny instead of computerized Lenny.  ;)

Reply #9 on: December 28, 2020, 20:04:21
@Leonard Scaper and @Dutchbeat ,

almost the same here. just a touch of reverb and compression sometimes a little e.q. and always a de-esser. close to the mike for xtra warmth and depth, and a good mike to begin with. mine is a Rode K2 large diaphragm and a tube inside.

gr. Dan

Reply #10 on: December 28, 2020, 20:38:54
always a de-esser. close to the mike for xtra warmth and depth, and a good mike to begin with. mine is a Rode K2 large diaphragm and a tube inside.

I forgot to mention the de-esser. Too many folks don't realize the need.

And, yeah....a good mic makes a huge difference for a natural sound (which is obviously not what @Dutchbeat is after here). I splurged on a Peluso 22-251 tube mic with a NOS  Sylvania tube from the 60's that makes it sound like some of its much more expensive cousins.

Reply #11 on: December 28, 2020, 20:52:30
@Leonard Scaper

wow, thats a lovely mike I guess, do you use that for your acoustic as well?

Reply #12 on: December 28, 2020, 21:22:00
do you use that for your acoustic as well?

I do. But the last song I did I tried out something different. I used my Shure KSM 32 out in front and then I placed the Peluso off to the right in a horizontal position pointing like a finger end on at the lower bout. I put the Peluso in omni. It made for a cool stereo capture of the sound of the room with the guitar in it.

You gave that tune a listen...... :)

• Dutchbeat
  • Administrator
  • Michelin Starred Chef

• more
Reply #13 on: December 28, 2020, 21:41:39
always a de-esser. close to the mike for xtra warmth and depth, and a good mike to begin with. mine is a Rode K2 large diaphragm and a tube inside.

I forgot to mention the de-esser. Too many folks don't realize the need.

And, yeah....a good mic makes a huge difference for a natural sound (which is obviously not what @Dutchbeat is after here). I splurged on a Peluso 22-251 tube mic with a NOS  Sylvania tube from the 60's that makes it sound like some of its much more expensive cousins.

no...a natural sound is not what i am looking for in  this thread, but i am fascinated by your @Leonard Scaper and @cheff daniel 's vocal treatment tips  :o
and the resemblance in those  :yes: :yes:

so yes, feel completely free to share your vocal mixing tips...or secrets!!!!

Reply #14 on: December 29, 2020, 17:50:50
@Dutchbeat
+1  on the reverse reverb like @oorlab  says