• Started by Mar T.
  • Mar T.
  • Senior Site Administrator
  • Michelin Starred Chef
  • Pay it forward! (watch that movie..)

• Today at 11:59:57
    • Duiven
  • more
Hi all, the other day I was talking to our dear @Kellyanneg , where she asked for song arrangement tips/tricks.

See this thread: https://www.songwriter-forum-kitchen.com/forum/songs-for-review/2/new-song-love-spell-questions-about-layering-instruments/5291/

Now we all know some general tips/tricks like:
-Try to build up from verse to chorus, add something new in every phase of the song, introduce a break somewhere
-Try muting the drums or the bass when the song needs a break
-Try muting everything else BUT the drums or bass when the song needs a change
-Add instruments to a 2nd verse or chorus to keep the listener's attention
etc etc..

None of them are rock-solid rules.. But when you're out of 'arranging' creativity they might help you to get inspired/try something different.
Now kitcheners, I'd love to ask to you all: do you have tips/tricks for arranging songs?
It would be awesome when you share them in this Songwriter Ingredients section as a reply to this post!

Thanks all in advance!!
Cheers!
Mar T.
:mart:

Re: Arranging songs - Tips and Tricks collection thread
Reply #1 on: April 04, 2019, 11:45:41
@Mar T. Thank you for starting this thread! I will keep those general tips in mind and hope to hear more. I was reading about bass lines yesterday, as I''m working on redoing an older song that has a strong rythm and I feel the bass will be a dominant part. I also hope to do harmony/back up vocals eventually....where do I place them?how do I do them (strength of voice)? etc.   Just a coupe of ideas there to discuss if anyone feels like it.  :)
Do what makes your heart sing :)

Reply #2 on: April 04, 2019, 14:16:00
https://blog.reverbnation.com/2019/04/03/how-create-song-arrangement/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=how-create-song-arrangement

Funny this subject came up, I got this in my email today from Reverbnation  (another song sharing site).  Hopefully the link works.

As far as my "arrangements" I just write simple stuff - maybe add a little piano, mandolin - I wish I could do drums sometimes, but as long as I like it...

Maybe someone else may find this interesting. 

Reply #3 on: April 04, 2019, 21:37:31
Hi @Vince Thanks for sharing - I saved it to my favorites for future reference.  @Mar T. mentioned studying other songs as well and this puts a foot in the technical pond.   :)

• Mar T.
  • Senior Site Administrator
  • Michelin Starred Chef
  • Pay it forward! (watch that movie..)

• Today at 11:59:57
    • Duiven
  • more
Reply #4 on: April 04, 2019, 23:59:37
« Last Edit: April 05, 2019, 01:36:13 by Mar T. »
@Vince , of course that is interesting, thank you for sharing your approach and perspective!
@Kellyanneg cheers!

Hi all, found a few short youtube clips where 'arrangement' is the central subject. Maybe that helps to start a bit of a discussion, or sparks others to add to this thread.

Holistic songwriting (Hey @Friedemann , nice vid! Still around here? ):

Charlie Puth Break Down Emotional Hit Song, "Attention" :

EDM arranging in 5 minutes :

That last example illustrates the risk that all is sounding the same on today's radio btw..  ;) ;)

So back to the humour (and I've posted this one a while ago).. If you don't have time, at least watch this one, focus on expirimentation, humour AND cool results!

Cheers all, and I hope many fellow kitcheners will add their tips/tricks for 'arranging songs' here!
Mar T.
:mart:

Reply #5 on: April 05, 2019, 17:34:38
@Mar T. The one with Charlie Puth I found very interesting, how he said he added something different to each chorus, different sounds to keep things interesting. The last one was humorous, but did have a serious reality to it! He was funny, and also talented! Lol.  I cant do the whole DAW steps the first video talked about but the structure is something to keep in mind. Thanks for sharing those!!

xx
tips for video tricks

Started by Dutchbeat on The kitchen café

0 Replies
Last post December 07, 2014, 20:39:24
by Dutchbeat
question
Songwriting tips and tricks - NEWS: DB's entry is in!!

Started by Mar T. on The kitchen café

22 Replies
Last post September 25, 2016, 02:20:12
by Mar T.
xx
Your songs on the subject of Terrorism- into this thread please

Started by MichaelA on Songs for review

14 Replies
Last post March 26, 2017, 23:34:33
by MichaelA
xx
Your parent's record collection