• Started by Mar T.
  • Mar T.
  • Senior Site Administrator
  • Michelin Starred Chef
  • Pay it forward! (watch that movie..)

• December 06, 2019, 14:51:12
    • Duiven
  • more
Hi all, the other day I was talking to our dear @Kellyanneg , where she asked for song arrangement tips/tricks.

See this thread: https://www.songwriter-forum-kitchen.com/forum/songs-for-review/2/new-song-love-spell-questions-about-layering-instruments/5291/

Now we all know some general tips/tricks like:
-Try to build up from verse to chorus, add something new in every phase of the song, introduce a break somewhere
-Try muting the drums or the bass when the song needs a break
-Try muting everything else BUT the drums or bass when the song needs a change
-Add instruments to a 2nd verse or chorus to keep the listener's attention
etc etc..

None of them are rock-solid rules.. But when you're out of 'arranging' creativity they might help you to get inspired/try something different.
Now kitcheners, I'd love to ask to you all: do you have tips/tricks for arranging songs?
It would be awesome when you share them in this Songwriter Ingredients section as a reply to this post!

Thanks all in advance!!
Cheers!
Mar T.
:mart:

I'm proud of this track, check it out! https://soundcloud.com/martimedia/dreams

Re: Arranging songs - Tips and Tricks collection thread
Reply #1 on: April 04, 2019, 11:45:41
@Mar T. Thank you for starting this thread! I will keep those general tips in mind and hope to hear more. I was reading about bass lines yesterday, as I''m working on redoing an older song that has a strong rythm and I feel the bass will be a dominant part. I also hope to do harmony/back up vocals eventually....where do I place them?how do I do them (strength of voice)? etc.   Just a coupe of ideas there to discuss if anyone feels like it.  :)
Do what makes your heart sing :)

Reply #2 on: April 04, 2019, 14:16:00
https://blog.reverbnation.com/2019/04/03/how-create-song-arrangement/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=how-create-song-arrangement

Funny this subject came up, I got this in my email today from Reverbnation  (another song sharing site).  Hopefully the link works.

As far as my "arrangements" I just write simple stuff - maybe add a little piano, mandolin - I wish I could do drums sometimes, but as long as I like it...

Maybe someone else may find this interesting. 

Reply #3 on: April 04, 2019, 21:37:31
Hi @Vince Thanks for sharing - I saved it to my favorites for future reference.  @Mar T. mentioned studying other songs as well and this puts a foot in the technical pond.   :)

• Mar T.
  • Senior Site Administrator
  • Michelin Starred Chef
  • Pay it forward! (watch that movie..)

• December 06, 2019, 14:51:12
    • Duiven
  • more
Reply #4 on: April 04, 2019, 23:59:37
« Last Edit: April 05, 2019, 01:36:13 by Mar T. »
@Vince , of course that is interesting, thank you for sharing your approach and perspective!
@Kellyanneg cheers!

Hi all, found a few short youtube clips where 'arrangement' is the central subject. Maybe that helps to start a bit of a discussion, or sparks others to add to this thread.

Holistic songwriting (Hey @Friedemann , nice vid! Still around here? ):

Charlie Puth Break Down Emotional Hit Song, "Attention" :

EDM arranging in 5 minutes :

That last example illustrates the risk that all is sounding the same on today's radio btw..  ;) ;)

So back to the humour (and I've posted this one a while ago).. If you don't have time, at least watch this one, focus on expirimentation, humour AND cool results!

Cheers all, and I hope many fellow kitcheners will add their tips/tricks for 'arranging songs' here!
Mar T.
:mart:

Reply #5 on: April 05, 2019, 17:34:38
@Mar T. The one with Charlie Puth I found very interesting, how he said he added something different to each chorus, different sounds to keep things interesting. The last one was humorous, but did have a serious reality to it! He was funny, and also talented! Lol.  I cant do the whole DAW steps the first video talked about but the structure is something to keep in mind. Thanks for sharing those!!

xx
AUDACITY - Tips and Tricks

Started by oorlab on Songwriting Ingredients

28 Replies
Last post July 10, 2019, 16:17:09
by Kellyanneg
xx
tips for video tricks

Started by Dutchbeat on The kitchen café

0 Replies
Last post December 07, 2014, 20:39:24
by Dutchbeat
xx
DAWS - Tips and Tricks

Started by MrBouzouki on Songwriting Ingredients

21 Replies
Last post July 29, 2019, 07:29:59
by budhabuilding
xx
NON DAW Recording - Tips and Tricks

Started by MrBouzouki on Songwriting Ingredients

16 Replies
Last post July 28, 2019, 13:07:14
by Kellyanneg
question
Songwriting tips and tricks - NEWS: DB's entry is in!!

Started by Mar T. on The kitchen café

22 Replies
Last post September 25, 2016, 02:20:12
by Mar T.