• Chef de Partie
  • savoir vivre

• Yesterday at 23:58:25
    • netherlands
  • more
Audacity
on: April 17, 2019, 21:39:03
« Last Edit: April 17, 2019, 21:59:15 by oorlab »
Hi kitcheneers and @Kellyanneg  - this is opening a new thread on Audacity.
Just a few reading tips
https://flossmanuals.net/pub/audacity-en-2018.02.pdf

and a place to ask & give audacity related tips & tweaks.
Audacity is very easy to use freeware audio editor software, ideal for songwriters who like to do a sketch or an agile edit.
recommending https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/How_Music_Works "How music works", book by David Byrne.

Re: Audacity
Reply #1 on: April 17, 2019, 21:43:46
@oorlab Excellent!!! Thank you so kindly.  :thumbsup:
Do what makes your heart sing :)

Reply #2 on: April 18, 2019, 18:56:44
@oorlab (or anyone!) hello! Well eventually I will be studying a different DAW, but in the meantime I'm still working on a song, and kind of feel like I'll have the same problems with a different DAW being that I don't know the purpose of each effect, and how to recognize what effect is needed. So, I need to break this down. Would you mind if I asked, with a lead vocal track in front of you, what would you listen for? What's the first thing you do? This is one of a million, I just needed to start somewhere!

• oorlab
  • Chef de Partie
  • savoir vivre

• Yesterday at 23:58:25
    • netherlands
  • more
Reply #3 on: April 18, 2019, 23:26:39
@Kellyanneg  - first I would mute the parts in the track where there is no signal, or delete those parts alltogether. Then you might try a little bit reverb, a touch of EQ (typically for vocals lower the lower frequencies) and may be add some  compression. In most DAW's you can do that on the fly and hear immediately what is the effect on what you hear. IN Audacity you apply the effect and then listen if you like it.

Reply #4 on: April 19, 2019, 12:12:44
@oorlab thank you  :D