• Commit to the Kick?
  • Started by Bill from November Sound
Commit to the Kick?
on: August 20, 2018, 16:06:09
Hey @Dutchbeat , @Dakoda , @ItsRilo , @shatiks , @The Local Waffle Dealer , @Levander , @EdZ314 , @iiviivix  ... or anyone else that makes pop/ dance music!

I want to re-do one of our songs to give it a heavier dance groove.

Okay, I go to choose a kick drum and their are hundreds of them!!!!  They all sound pretty good to me.  ???

How many sounds should I try before I commit to the kick I should use?  - this could take a long time...

Do any of you have certain go to kick sounds? ... You then tweak them from there maybe?

Are there certain kick sounds I should avoid?  -  Maybe they sound too "old-timey"?
Bill
Songwriter, Keyboards, Arranger, Producer & Engineer for November Sound

November Sound is based on the Mother, Father & Son musical trio of Melissa, Bill & Will. I'm the father so anything I post will have my wife singing and/or my son playing percussion.

• Dutchbeat
  • MADministrator
  • Michelin Starred Chef
  • If you can stand the Beat, get into the Kitchen!

• Today at 00:59:26
  • more
Re: Commit to the Kick?
Reply #1 on: August 20, 2018, 17:22:28
Hi @Bill from November Sound ...i add a name of songwriter / mixer / producer who i think would be able to give an answer to your question...

it is @budhabuilding (ha H... ;D ;D ;D), i know he chooses his drum sounds and samples very precisely....and the kick in particular...
me, myself, and Pie

Reply #2 on: August 20, 2018, 20:00:33
HI @Bill from November Sound,

Some basic things i do and focus on.

> Most of the kicks i use are in tune with the root note of the song.
So if the songs is in A the kick will be tuned on 55 hz.
https://pages.mtu.edu/~suits/notefreqs.html

> if i get lower then 45hz i will add a harmonic at octave higher  sometimes by adding saturation

> length of the kick must be at least as long to recognize the tuning of the sound.

> To recognize and define the start of a kick you need a click... (if you want to have no click in your 808 subkick... you need a lot of space(time)
So you need the space in high frequencies to hear you click in your kick

> add wood sounds for a acoustic style

> I find a kick that let''s create my song and then i use  pitch, EQ, Compression and Saturation to shape my kicks..

Look at Kick 2 how they do it and create with your own samples and fx..
https://www.sonicacademy.com/products/kick-2

succes.

greetings
Hans aka Budha Building
Just set all my solo  music free at https://budhabuilding.bandcamp.com

Reply #3 on: August 20, 2018, 21:39:46
HI @Bill from November Sound,

The things I look for, when I search for a kickdrum, is the sound and how it feels with the Idea,
then you got to look if it has a lower sound or more dry.

you got to feel it, and nohing will go wrong :D
but it takes a lot of time 'till you get it :D

All the best
MRilo

Reply #4 on: August 20, 2018, 22:25:42
@Bill from November Sound
Hello!  What I do when I am looking for that good kick sound is something that can create its own presence. What i have took note from more recent productions of bigger artists is that their kicks just feel so vibrant and feel almost atmospheric. I would play it with headphones, then with earbuds, and then blast it from a speaker to make sure that hard hitting sound is still felt.
No Price, Just Happiness.

Reply #5 on: August 25, 2018, 04:54:56
Hey everyone,
Thanks for the help! So, @budhabuilding ... how do you determine the actual frequency of the kick? Are you using a metering plug in or a tuner of some sort? Forgive my ignorance. I've been just trying to play the note on a piano and tune it by ear.
Also, @ItsRilo and @The Local Waffle Dealer .... how many kicks do you usually try before you choose the keeper?
Hey @Dakoda this is slightly off topic but since you're pretty masterful with synths ... are there certain synth sounds that should be avoided to make sure a song doesn't sound too dated? Along with certain E=Drum sounds as well I guess.... 

Reply #6 on: August 25, 2018, 05:15:09
@Bill from November Sound I tend to try out one kick and add a layer to the kick with another kick. Improvising for the most part. I will go for about 3 to 4 different kicks through-out a production of a song.

Reply #7 on: August 25, 2018, 10:21:20
To determine de frequentie i mostly use my ears.
If i don't get the frequentie i pitch it up one octave. Then start searching and then repitch again one octave down.

Some other ways i sometimes use for analyzing are
Spectrum analyzer with pitch and hz like voxengos free plugin.
Reatune tuner plugin.

Or just use kick 2 with pitch editing