• Global Moderator
  • Executive Chef
  • Guest Chef

• Today at 02:04:39
    • Terra Firma
  • more
Compression.....It's Addictive!
on: February 13, 2018, 11:38:40
Hi. My name is Steve and I am addicted to compression.

Oh, it started innocently enough.......shave a few peaks here, add some body there.....but pretty soon I had one or two (yes....or THREE) compressors on every track and my make-up gains were getting destructive. I just could not get enough of those beautiful blooming notes and those incredibly intimate breathy vocals. I even found myself sneaking into the studio during the day to crank my thresholds down in private. But when I tried to patch in a compressor on my phone line at work I knew it was time to get help.

I'm ok now, though.....I only compress on weekends.  ;)

Seriously though.....compression is arguably the most powerful tool that we have at our disposal in our quest for more professional sounding recordings. So I have two questions for everybody:

1. Why do you compress?

or more importantly, for those of you who stare at that compressor plug-in and try to work up the courage...

2. Why don't you compress?

8)
"The main thing is to have a gutsy approach....but use your head." Julia Child

"In a world of robotic conformity, the only originality left in music is the imperfections" Eric Craptone

"Special thanks to Steve Gleason for making me who I am today." Leonard Scaper

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_music.cfm?bandID=540680

• MrBouzouki
  • Chef de Partie
  • "Let the Creators Create" :-)

• November 19, 2018, 21:26:39
    • Sheffield, UK
    • https://www.facebook.com/Mr.Bouzouki.Music/ https://www.youtube.com/user/MisterBouzouki https://soundcloud.com/mrbouzouki
  • more
Re: Compression.....It's Addictive!
Reply #1 on: February 13, 2018, 12:51:20
Well @Leonard Scaper , I was initially very dubious about compression when I started with all this madness.
Now it's a useful tool to tame transients and it does act as 'audi glue' although I must admit to getting into Maximizers and Limiters too.
I like dynamics not a sense of squashed music, be it on instruments or vocals, so I guess I'm a casual user ... lol
"Love and Life is all about connections"

• Dutchbeat
  • MADministrator
  • Michelin Starred Chef
  • If you can stand the Beat, get into the Kitchen!

• Yesterday at 23:48:20
  • more
Reply #2 on: February 13, 2018, 18:36:12
ha @Leonard Scaper ....i admire your openness about your constant struggle with your compression issues

you call it addiction even

but...i think... compression is great, and the way you use it...is great  ::thumb:: ::thumb:: ::thumb:: ::thumb:: no really

and....since i know you, i love, and use, compression more and more (and more  8) myself  ;D ;D ;D ;D ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) 8) 8) ::dj:: ::dj:: ::dj::

me, myself, and Pie

• LePlongeur
  • Chef de Partie
  • In Tartiflette we trust

• Yesterday at 19:23:29
    • Greater Amsterdam
  • more
Reply #3 on: February 13, 2018, 18:57:51
I juist checked this with my lawyer, and according to her, the following text is more or less OK:

The king of compression is Terry Melcher, Doris Dayís son. He built an empire on merciless compression in the 60ís.
The Byrds, The Beach Boys and the like.

I am a recreational user.
I use a firm compression on my bass. Iím sort of inspired by Jefferson Airplaneís and Grateful Deadís Bass players.
This is a process thatís next to uncontrollable.

And I use a mild compression on the singing. Thatís all. But yes, I plead guilty.

And since today I leaned how to glue some illustrations here, I might as well attach this one. Itís an isolated vocal track. The original Columbia release is on YouTube as well. Just a minute ago itís been watched 363 times.

But in short:
Serious compression on the bass.
Moderate compression on the vocals.

Kind regards, Gus

Reply #4 on: February 15, 2018, 01:52:42
Hey @Leonard Scaper

To answer question 1:
First, I work an extremely dynamic singer and second (I know it's hard to imagine this but..) I work with quite a dynamic drummer.
The other reason is that I'm working to create a certain modern pop/ alternative contemporary sound and that's what my reference tracks do. That's the sound I'm trying to get so I do that....simple enough I guess.  :-\
I try not to completely crush things so I do use multiple parallel techniques and I've kind of come up with a mix of a few compressors that I use on the vocals. Other tracks I try different things here and there ... but I have certain favorites.  :)
Bill
Songwriter, Keyboards, Arranger, Producer & Engineer for November Sound

November Sound is based on the Mother, Father & Son musical trio of Melissa, Bill & Will. I'm the father so anything I post will have my wife singing and/or my son playing percussion.

• Leonard Scaper
  • Global Moderator
  • Executive Chef
  • Guest Chef

• Terra Firma
  • more
Reply #5 on: February 16, 2018, 13:27:33
With the weekend approaching I am getting into a compressive frame of mind.  ;)

@MrBouzouki .......I definitely like a dynamic mix but using mostly real instruments as I do, especially acoustic guitars, I sometimes end up with serious transients. A lot of that has to do with my playing style I guess. One thing that has helped me with that is doing volume automation before compression. That way my compressors don't have to work as hard.

@Dutchbeat ....I'm glad to hear that you hear my compression as a good thing. You and I have had some excellent collaboration, right? Do you find yourself compressing my vocals more when you are working your magic on our Just Cookin' mixes?:) :) :)

@LePlongeur ....that is a fantastic vocal track to hear how folks who really know what they are doing compress vocals. I am with you on bass and vocal compression tactics. I compress my DI bass on the way in pretty hard with a fast attack and a carefully timed release. My hardware compressor lets me use a 10:1 ratio and the bass gets that every time. I also compress my vocals on the way in but much more gently. I like to dial in the compressor for the particular vocals on each song. I find that I can use the compressor almost like an instrument if I get it dialed in right.

Compressing on the way in means less plug-in compression can be used in the mix. It also is a life lesson in commitment. I have been told (mostly be ex-wives) that I have issues with that as well.

@Bill from November Sound .....I was hoping that you would chime in about your band mates, both of whom are pretty dynamic. Melissa has such a strong voice and I can see how it would be a challenge in the mix. You really get it right.....I am always impressed with your mixes. You bring up parallel compression. I have used that as an effect with 1176 style fast compression but for basic duties I stick to compression as an insert. Have you considered a hardware compressor on the way in for her voice?

Tomorrow is Saturday and the Compression Light will be ON! I have a bass track to squash and a piano track that needs to have more sustain. I'll be tracking vocals with compression and even some harmonica...which will get more aggressive compression on the way in.

:) :) :) :) :)

8)

Reply #6 on: February 17, 2018, 01:23:57
Have you considered a hardware compressor on the way in for her voice?
Yes @Leonard Scaper I have.... but that's a whole 'nother thing for me to worry about and learn how to use. I'm not really sure how to start.

I use compressor plug ins with wet/dry signal for voice tracks and for piano tracks (which counts as parallel compression I think).
I also do the parallel compression on the drums and I do a separate parallel compression on a mix of voice and instruments ( keeps it from pumping with the kick).

• MrBouzouki
  • Chef de Partie
  • "Let the Creators Create" :-)

• November 19, 2018, 21:26:39
    • Sheffield, UK
    • https://www.facebook.com/Mr.Bouzouki.Music/ https://www.youtube.com/user/MisterBouzouki https://soundcloud.com/mrbouzouki
  • more
Reply #7 on: February 17, 2018, 12:10:49
@MrBouzouki .......I definitely like a dynamic mix but using mostly real instruments as I do, especially acoustic guitars, I sometimes end up with serious transients. A lot of that has to do with my playing style I guess. One thing that has helped me with that is doing volume automation before compression. That way my compressors don't have to work as hard.

Aye I do the same @Leonard Scaper, my journey was really discovering not to record too hot with the real instruments, let the dynamics of the performance come out, use volume automation initially and only compress when you must. Record too hot and it's all out of the window and everything seems flat after it's been made to fit the reduced headroom. Unless that is the sound you are after. As regards electric I tend to cheat and use my electric straight into my DAW and use the Cubase VST Amp Rack. There is so much more control over the sound this way and you can change the sound as you are developing the track. Also the cabinet emulations and virtual mic positioning options can radically change the tone of the incoming signal and add more creative potential.

I'm tending to works around -14dBfs as a mixing level now to leave a 6dB headroom for transients. It seems to work fairly well. I have my channel meters set up to be green up to -14dBfs then a yellow band up to -10dBfs and finally a red band from -10dBfs to 0dBfs. Blue is digital clipping. These visual clues from the coloured bands help me see what is going on. Granted it won't catch the short transients but that's what the 6bB headroom is for. I try and keep in or around the green if I can. When I get to the mastering other factors might apply in terms of overall level.

So that's why the compression I use is sparse unless I really have to tame something.

• Leonard Scaper
  • Global Moderator
  • Executive Chef
  • Guest Chef

• Terra Firma
  • more
Reply #8 on: February 17, 2018, 12:28:45
Hey @Bill from November Sound ....I record into a Trident channel strip that lets me EQ and compress. It has a "sound" .....that Trident sound....kind of British. Been using it for many years and dialing it in has become second nature. Interesting about compressors with wet/dry.....I use the stock protools comp and it does not have that.

I love how you have your meters set up @MrBouzouki ....I must look into that. Recording at those levels is so important, right? I have to say that one thing that I have realized about compression....and equalization.....is that you can't be afraid to get bold sometimes and go hard. Of course, my councilor tells me that is my problem with compression....but it is the weekend and my councilor is not here now, is he?  ;D

*gleefully cranks threshold and make-up gain*