• synths and guitars

• April 24, 2020, 15:21:58
    • melbourne, australia
    • https://soundcloud.com/blackbauble
  • more
Re: DAWS - Tips and Tricks
Reply #1 on: June 21, 2019, 11:34:18
ok iíll start.

my first DAW was Cool Edit Pro, itís now known as Adobe Audition.

but the original Cool Edit Pro 2000 is a very simple piece of software. it has multitracking, and simple effects. it only deals with audio, no midi. and that lessens the complications too.
you can find it free online as a download.

i have tried the original fruity loops, early cubase, early pro tools, ableton, reaper,  early reason,  early cakewalk and sound forge, audition and garage band.

in the end i got (modern) pro tools. iím on a pc, i wanted a mature product that would work with a studio if i wanted to mix with a professional engineer.

the trick with a DAW computer is to get it working and then NEVER TOUCH IT AGAIN, DONT UPDATE, DONT UPGRADE, DONT INSTALL... donít even breathe on it! and it might just stay working! once it works keep it until it dies. iíd be running a windows 95 machine today if i had the patience for the 30minute boot up time 😉

logic and digital performer look really promising, but all the others are crud.

the thing that annoys me most is latency and an inability to adjust to some audio devices being moved around or unplugged... this is why Cool Edit is still king in my book.

i donít use protools regularly enough to remember the shortcuts, which are v different from Adobe, which, as a multimedia and film designer i already knew. i think linearly, which is why i never understood ableton. and iím not into plugins and vsts...  it all gets very complicated very quickly.

itís not that i canít, itís that i WONT spend my weekend troubleshooting computer problems when i could be recording straight into my phone or four track 😉 so maybe this post should be in DAWless but i thought youíd be interested to note some simpler programs that might whet your appetite.

so many wasted weekends on studio maintenance... but now iím writing! i can make up the time!
ďeverything is simple, nothing is as straightforward as it seemsĒ.ó Me

Reply #2 on: June 21, 2019, 14:12:29
the trick with a DAW computer is to get it working and then NEVER TOUCH IT AGAIN, DONT UPDATE, DONT UPGRADE, DONT INSTALL... donít even breathe on it! and it might just stay working! once it works keep it until it dies. iíd be running a windows 95 machine today if i had the patience for the 30minute boot up time 😉

I definitely agree with that. As songwriters, a comfortable relationship with a dependable DAW can be a very good thing. Get your rig (DAW, microphone, preamp) in place, get comfortable with it....and then just use it.

I keep things very simple in my Protools only studio.....no third party plugins. I go in through a good quality channel strip which gives me some analog goodness in the way of compression and EQ. My tracking and mixing systems have been in place for years now.........I could (and often do) swing into the studio on my lunch break, fire up the rig....and track some scratch lyrics to a song I am working on.

the thing that annoys me most is latency

My trick for zero latency tracking is to always mute the track I am recording to.
"The main thing is to have a gutsy approach....but use your head." Julia Child

"In a world of robotic conformity, the only originality left in music is the imperfections" Eric Craptone

"Special thanks to Steve Gleason for making me who I am today." Leonard Scaper

Lenny's Tunes: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_music.cfm?bandID=540680

https://soundcloud.com/vincentgleason

Reply #3 on: June 21, 2019, 22:30:21
Very interesting to read on different experiences and approaches.

The whole latency issue, which I used to have, was gone when I made the switch to Mac and GarageBand. I spent about five years, trying to strip out everything unnecessary (windows processes) and even trying out Linux OS:es, plenty of different DAWs, nothing helped.

Nowadays itís Logic all the way, might start off in GB but itís ending up in Logic when projects grow past a certain size or ďstageĒ. Iím not against third party plugins, I use a bunch of free and paid ones, most are midi instruments and some effects, but mostly I try them out first, if they donít cut it I throw them out straight away. A minimalist approach is the way to go (less is more) and often times stock plugins do the trick. I use templates and Iím a bit of a nerd in the sense of reading up and it has helped me develop my skill in musical theory, mixing and DAW skills dramatically in an increased pace. Iím still no way near experienced and very much amateur.

My goal is not to use as many plugins as possible. Itís about efficiency and making great sounding songs with the minimal amount of effort. DAW skills are worthless on a bad song. I also believe that recording is more important and I try to do that in the best possible way. What type of DAW isnít as important as knowing what shapes the sound and having a clear intent and idea with every move.

Everyone is different and there isnít a best way, best DAW or anything else. Itís all about what make sense to each persons creative mind. Also, as I work in lots of genres, I need to be wide in my knowledge and for that, midi is pretty much the only way to make possible what I imagine things.
Layerson (a.k.a. Mikael Lagersson)

Reply #4 on: June 21, 2019, 22:59:33
I need to be wide in my knowledge and for that, midi is pretty much the only way to make possible what I imagine things.

I wonder if I am the only DAW recordist hereabouts who has absolutely NO MIDI.

Reply #5 on: June 21, 2019, 23:17:32
Iím impressed if you are @Leonard Scaper  :o

I primarily use midi for drums (indirectly, Logics AI drummer is awesome) and primarily I only ever edit keys and strings (that includes synths) when I canít play the parts myself or have prefab loops that need tweaking. Iím not micro editing as much but I probably will in the future when I learn all the key shortcuts.

The types of arrangements and lack of skills in playing would limit me. Midi is liberating if done correctly and extremely time consuming if done wrong.

Maybe itís a good exercise doing something without any midi.  ;)

Reply #6 on: June 22, 2019, 10:50:54
Iím impressed if you are @Leonard Scaper  :o

:) :) :)

I guess I'm just kind of old school, @Layerson . I just like to play real instruments. That said, the synth sounds that I do use come from a circa 1990 rack synth unit that is triggered by a relatively newer Kurzweil keyboard and captured into my DAW through the analog connection to my preamp. Now that I say that, I realize that the connection between those two is a MIDI cable.  :D

So my music will rarely have drums as any percussion I do has to be played in on that keyboard. So much music these days is generated from within that DAW....and I truly enjoy listening to that music. I also love hearing a song that is played on a guitar and sung into a phone for capture.  ;)

Reply #7 on: June 22, 2019, 15:00:31
Even I've got a MIDI @Leonard Scaper ,  it's got more bells and whistles than i'll ever know how to use. I just use it for piano, organ and on one track I even used violins  ;D.  I wish I could do drums, but I can't loop them very well.

So maybe you are the only one. :farewell:
Vince

• lu77
  • Vegetable Chef
  • synths and guitars

• April 24, 2020, 15:21:58
    • melbourne, australia
    • https://soundcloud.com/blackbauble
  • more
Reply #8 on: June 24, 2019, 23:29:20
i havenít hooked up midi to my daw... i keep meaning to one day, but i tend to use midi in the studio, get the drum machine controlling the rest of everything then record all the instruments at once (no latency!)

thatís the ideal though, the reality is mostly audio recordings into pro tools and picking the least worst human performance to use.

Reply #9 on: June 29, 2019, 14:00:24
^^^^^
This is funny!  Ö. but kind of true.
I'm getting to the point where I know I'll need a new one soon. I'm constantly backing up everything Ö even a back up of the back up.

I don't remember Win 95 , Win '98 was bad = blue screen of death!!! , XP was solid, I'm still on 7 with my DAW cpuÖ.
I have 10 on my laptop and the updates are nothing short of garish. Just awful.
Bill
Songwriter, Keyboards, Arranger, Producer & Engineer for November Sound

November Sound is based on the Mother, Father & Son musical trio of Melissa, Bill & Will. I'm the father so anything I post will have my wife singing and/or my son playing percussion.

Reply #10 on: July 05, 2019, 06:40:01
Agreed that once you have a setup that works, keep that intact and keep the experimentation down to tweaks on that basic set up.

Lately Iíve been experimenting with microphone placement. Super important! Very subtle differences in placement play a big role in the final mix. The better the mic placement, the less work needed to mix,

If i didnít have that basic setup in place I would not have the baseline to experiment.

Reply #11 on: July 07, 2019, 18:27:26
Okay -- I'm adding something crazy here  ......  maybe help from someone really advanced in the midi department   .....     @budhabuilding   @Dutchbeat   ,  @Dakoda   , @Mar T.     ,  @MrBouzouki    ,  @Pleudoniem   @oorlab    or anyone else?   

I get this weird thing where I'm recording and sometimes I press a button on my controller (axiom 49) and it changes the pitch!!!! 
But then I can't find anything to indicate that the pitch is changed. Nothing on the track, nothing on the instrument, nothing ... but it is sure out.

This used to happen with my UVI True Keys so I re-mapped the buttons to record and punch.
Now my re-mapped record and punch (I'm not sure which one, honestly) changes the pitch on my Sample Tank 4

Normally when the pitch is changed you'll see something in the automation lanes, something in the VST itself  ... but I can't find anything.  :bonk:

• Dutchbeat
  • Administrator
  • Michelin Starred Chef
  • If you can stand the Beat, get into the Kitchen!

• Today at 22:26:18
  • more
Reply #12 on: July 07, 2019, 18:35:24
 ??? ??? ??? ???
i can not help you @Bill from November Sound, i am trying, but no... nothing comes up

but this sounds like a job for @budhabuilding indeed , if he reads your post, i bet he will be able to figure out what may be happening
me, myself, and Pie

Reply #13 on: July 07, 2019, 18:53:46
Okay it's not even a button now  :bonk:
If I just leave for a couple of minutes to write a post here in the kitchen, or I rewind the song, or I look at it wrong or otherwise breathe upon it ... it goes out of tune!!!!!!     What's the point of a VST guitar if it's going to go out of tune? Talk about realistic!  :doublebonk:

• oorlab
  • Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
  • savoir vivre

• Today at 22:21:06
    • netherlands
    • https://twitter.com/oorlab https://soundcloud.com/oorlab
  • more
Reply #14 on: July 07, 2019, 20:05:32
@Bill from November Sound  - weird problem, does not ring a bell with me.
Can you let us here the signal with and without pitch shifting?
new guitar 4-6-2020 https://soundcloud.com/oorlab/12string-demo1 12string Cort.

xx
tips for video tricks

Started by Dutchbeat on The kitchen cafť

0 Replies
Last post December 07, 2014, 20:39:24
by Dutchbeat
xx
AUDACITY - Tips and Tricks

Started by oorlab on Songwriting Ingredients

33 Replies
Last post January 18, 2020, 09:38:24
by Monty Cash Music
xx
NON DAW Recording - Tips and Tricks

Started by MrBouzouki on Songwriting Ingredients

17 Replies
Last post May 11, 2020, 04:19:27
by CGHound
question
Songwriting tips and tricks - NEWS: DB's entry is in!!

Started by Mar T. on The kitchen cafť

22 Replies
Last post September 25, 2016, 02:20:12
by Mar T.
xx
Arranging songs - Tips and Tricks collection thread

Started by Mar T. on Songwriting Ingredients

6 Replies
Last post June 05, 2020, 22:42:22
by MotterPaul