• Patissier
  • Karma Hunter

• August 15, 2019, 01:43:39
  • more
Exporting audio question_lowering the fader
on: August 05, 2017, 13:38:47
« Last Edit: August 05, 2017, 13:44:24 by Levander »
Hi,

I'm about to export audio files in Cubase. Later I'm going to send the files to a guy who will mix the song. I wrote the song some time ago. I've been waiting to find the right singer for it and now I've found the right singer. I definitely can't sing it. So I'm quite happy to have found him. He is working on the vocals as we speak.

-----

When I started working on the song I used plugins and midi. I then exported each individual track to audio with peaks up to -12 db. (I thought). Now after revisiting the song much later I realise that several tracks peak up to -10db. The song is a bit hot in the later parts of it when everything just goes bang. :)

What should I do?

What happens with the audio quality if I take the fader on an individual track and lower it by lets say -1 to -2 db and then export the file again to audio? Then then audio file would peak around -12db.

Or do I need to start up the vst plugins again and do the process all over again?

Or should I leave it as it is. What might a mixing engineer think about geting audio files where half of them peak at -12db and half of them peak up to -10 db?

• Levander
  • Patissier
  • Karma Hunter

• more
Re: Exporting audio question_lowering the fader
Reply #1 on: August 05, 2017, 13:40:24
Sorry double post.

• Dutchbeat
  • Administrator
  • Michelin Starred Chef
  • If you can stand the Beat, get into the Kitchen!

• Today at 20:49:35
  • more
Reply #2 on: August 05, 2017, 17:37:43
hi @Levander, i am not the one to answer this, because there are songwriters out here who know much more about mixing and mastering techniques
but, it will probably be fine.... i think you have to leave at least - 6db headroom for the highest peak, not sure whether that is true though....but with your -10db and -12db on the various tracks, it should be fine.....i think  :P :P ??? ??? ???, and if the mixer is going to listen and mix the resepective volumes of the separate track anyway....i think that also will no problem for the mixer....

but  ::) ::) :P :P :P :P, it is saver to call for the kitcheners who really know about this, you know the @Jambrains @budhabuilding 's , the @Mar T. 's (and all of whom i am forgetting) who really know how to tweak and nail and end mix

but the margin of -10 to -12 db sounds pretty save to me @Levander
me, myself, and Pie

Reply #3 on: August 05, 2017, 19:14:12
I think here you can find the answer..

Just set all my solo  music free at https://budhabuilding.bandcamp.com

• Levander
  • Patissier
  • Karma Hunter

• more
Reply #4 on: August 05, 2017, 20:55:39
I redid everything since there were some other issues. Intersting to open upp old projects. :)

• Mar T.
  • Senior Site Administrator
  • Michelin Starred Chef
  • Pay it forward! (watch that movie..)

• Yesterday at 21:15:46
    • Duiven
    • http://twitter.com/MartiMediaSC http://www.facebook.com/MartiMedia http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEBmQkchurQ https://soundcloud.com/martimedia
  • more
Reply #5 on: August 06, 2017, 02:04:01
« Last Edit: August 06, 2017, 03:19:16 by Mar T. »
Hi,

I'm about to export audio files in Cubase. Later I'm going to send the files to a guy who will mix the song. I wrote the song some time ago. I've been waiting to find the right singer for it and now I've found the right singer. I definitely can't sing it. So I'm quite happy to have found him. He is working on the vocals as we speak.

-----

When I started working on the song I used plugins and midi. I then exported each individual track to audio with peaks up to -12 db. (I thought). Now after revisiting the song much later I realise that several tracks peak up to -10db. The song is a bit hot in the later parts of it when everything just goes bang. :)

What should I do?

What happens with the audio quality if I take the fader on an individual track and lower it by lets say -1 to -2 db and then export the file again to audio? Then then audio file would peak around -12db.

Or do I need to start up the vst plugins again and do the process all over again?

Or should I leave it as it is. What might a mixing engineer think about geting audio files where half of them peak at -12db and half of them peak up to -10 db?

Hi @Levander , for the tracks created in the digital domain (with VST's) but then bounced to audio at -12/-10dB , I'd suggest to rebounce those individual tracks @-18dB , to make sure they're not too 'hot'.
See this vid in the same series @budhabuilding posted (great guide there budha, btw!):

Imo the input metering when recording is to be considered apart from the gain metering in the digital domain. In your case you've only used VST's so no worries..
Bouncing a track to audio doesn't affect the hotness imo (as long as it doesn't 'clip'). So no need to lower the fader, the dynamic range is all there.
I hope that helps!

Cheers!
:mart:
I'm proud of this track, check it out! https://soundcloud.com/martimedia/dreams

xx
Free Audio Samples

Started by ImKeN on Songwriting Ingredients

5 Replies
Last post May 17, 2017, 23:47:55
by ImKeN
xx
audio advertisments......via soundcloud?

Started by Dutchbeat on The kitchen café

7 Replies
Last post March 28, 2018, 17:43:57
by LePlongeur
xx
A Tour of Mad Science Audio

Started by Leonard Scaper on Other Arts

5 Replies
Last post July 12, 2018, 19:42:07
by Dutchbeat
xx
the pulse modulator (VST) from audio damager