• revivalchoir
  • Rotisseur
  • Human Animal

• December 03, 2019, 22:09:58
    • Pittsburgh, PA
  • more
gear things
on: November 19, 2019, 21:18:25
what kind of guitar / amp does everyone use?

what shapes everyone's tone? what pedals do you incorporate?

i have a fender jaguar with 2 p90's and a gibson j15
my amp is a fender deluxe reverb.
<3,
soundcloud.com/revivalchoir

• Leonard Scaper
  • Global Moderator
  • Executive Chef
  • Guest Chef

• Yesterday at 19:11:45
    • Terra Firma
  • more
Re: gear things
Reply #1 on: November 19, 2019, 23:08:33
Since we are talking mostly electric here.......I play on a 1971 SG Deluxe with a Bigsby vibrola. I love that guitar....my hand is always on that Bigsby...it is an extension of my hand. When playing through amps I go through two at the same time......A modified Peavey Classic 30 and a modified Fender Pro Jr.. I link them with a Voodoo labs Amp switcher.

The only pedal I use in front of the amps these days is a Keeley compressor. I can get a wide variety of toNe just from how I set up the two amps.

But....these days I record using a branny new Line 6 Helix amp emulation box. Amp emulation has come a very long way since the early days of Line 6 Pods. I can change microphones...even micing distances. It is a VERY cool box.

So....P90's for you, eh @revivalchoir  ? That is a full sound.

My acoustics are a fairly new Martin 000, a 1933 Gibson/Kalamazoo KG-11 (think Robert Johnson) and a 1969 Stella parlor style. I just tracked Stella on my newest tune, Watch The River.

Oh yeah....my bass tracks go down form a 1969 Gibson EB3 short scale.

:) :) :) :) :)

COME ON GUITAR PLAYERS!!!! Let's hear about those guitars!!
"The main thing is to have a gutsy approach....but use your head." Julia Child

"In a world of robotic conformity, the only originality left in music is the imperfections" Eric Craptone

"Special thanks to Steve Gleason for making me who I am today." Leonard Scaper

Lenny's Tunes: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_music.cfm?bandID=540680

https://soundcloud.com/vincentgleason

• revivalchoir
  • Rotisseur
  • Human Animal

• Pittsburgh, PA
  • more
Reply #2 on: November 20, 2019, 15:13:30
i've played an SG from that year.. that's a lot of fun.
i had my eye on a peavey classic 30 a while back but didn't pull the trigger. i'm kind of regretting that now.
my only pedal is an overdrive, but the fender tubes are usually all you need. it's just a boost for probably 1 minute of my set, in total :)
are you loving that Helix? people rave about it. i know Dustin Kensrue uses one.

i like the P90's because it's a little more purr than what was in the guitar, but it's a preference thing.

that stella sounds really great if it's in the song you posted.
i use the J-15 most of the time, but lately i've been recording with a Collings Waterloo. i don't know if it'll make the next record, though ... we'll see.

• Leonard Scaper
  • Global Moderator
  • Executive Chef
  • Guest Chef

• Terra Firma
  • more
Reply #3 on: November 20, 2019, 16:41:19
I had a Pod Pro from Line 6 back around the turn of the century. Then I went with Avid Eleven Rack for amp emulations. The new Line 6 Helix is far and away more realistic than either of the others. But there is nothing like a good amp in a good room. For my stuff  electric guitar is kind of ancillary so Helix is perfect.

I put a Fender input circuit in my Peavey C30 so it would overload the Peavey circuits a little. That and a better speaker makes that C30 a great amp.

I had a one of a kind Fender style electric for many years that had a P90 with the humbucker....that was a sweet sound.

Hoping to hear from other guitar slingers.......

• revivalchoir
  • Rotisseur
  • Human Animal

• Pittsburgh, PA
  • more
Reply #4 on: November 20, 2019, 18:20:55
i rewired and changed the speaker in my deluxe as well :)

Reply #5 on: November 27, 2019, 23:08:48
« Last Edit: November 28, 2019, 23:01:23 by oorlab »
@revivalchoir  @Leonard Scaper  - for electric guitars here I use a Fender stratocaster and a Hagstrom hollow body HJ-800.  And I have a small amp, from Schertler, that is easy to carry and hase good line-outs. Though I am not really technically able to rewire speakers myself, I love to read up on this subject and how it effects your music making.
recommending https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/How_Music_Works "How music works", book by David Byrne.

• Leonard Scaper
  • Global Moderator
  • Executive Chef
  • Guest Chef

• Terra Firma
  • more
Reply #6 on: November 28, 2019, 11:24:57
@oorlab ......As I look back on that time when I was a serious tone hound I realize that, while those amp tweaks made a very real difference in the sound, the biggest effect that it had on my music was in my playing attitude. Those subtle improvements in amp tone were really an outward sign of my commitment to having an electric guitar tone that was the absolute closest to what I was hearing in my mind.

What's interesting is that when I listen back to the recordings from those days those tweakages don't jump out to me as important.  When I compare that guitar sound to what I am getting today from my Line 6 Helix emulator.....I think the Helix is a better recorded sound. Where those tweaks DID make a huge difference was when I was standing in front of the cranked amps lost in the bliss of the moment.

Regarding the actual tweaks on my Peavey Classic 30 ....changing the stock speaker out for a Celestion Vintage 30 really opened the sound and made it fuller and more dynamic, After doing that I changed the input jack to one that had Fender specs for lower impedance, Fender amps have a lower impednace input to allow for more signal from the typical Fender single coil pickups while the stock Peavey input was designed more for hot Humbucker pickups like on my old Gibson SG.

The combination of a lower impedance input and a more open and articulate speaker makes that Peavey amp really sing under the load from my PAF humbucker pickups.

I had a real amp tech do those mods.

• Jurgen
  • Sous Chef
  • Just strumming away

• December 09, 2019, 22:58:53
    • Sydney, Australia
    • https://www.facebook.com/drivingsouthband/ https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCygXcTLN2FroxhUQM_90J6Q?view_as=subscriber https://soundcloud.com/user-386444683
  • more
Reply #7 on: December 02, 2019, 23:30:02
Good topic @revivalchoir

I'm playing a Gretsch with single coil pick up and for last few months have ditched all my pedals when I play live.

I go through either a Vox AC15 or a Vox MV50 and 8 inch speaker depending on venue or how lazy I'm feeling (the AC15 is pretty heavy!)

The Gretsch has a lot of distinct sounds just by switching between pick ups and using the volume control. I found that I was losing part of it's sound when I went through pedals.

But for recording stuff (I've just started recording songs on my own without the band) I use amp emulators (usually just garageband ones) and some of the GB pedals, just to vary the sound.

I'm pretty basic really - I just want a sound that cuts through over bass and drums and I like a really simple set up with not much  to plug in!

cheers

• revivalchoir
  • Rotisseur
  • Human Animal

• Pittsburgh, PA
  • more
Reply #8 on: December 03, 2019, 22:08:38
what model? i used to have a really nice electromatic.

Good topic @revivalchoir

I'm playing a Gretsch with single coil pick up and for last few months have ditched all my pedals when I play live.

I go through either a Vox AC15 or a Vox MV50 and 8 inch speaker depending on venue or how lazy I'm feeling (the AC15 is pretty heavy!)

The Gretsch has a lot of distinct sounds just by switching between pick ups and using the volume control. I found that I was losing part of it's sound when I went through pedals.

But for recording stuff (I've just started recording songs on my own without the band) I use amp emulators (usually just garageband ones) and some of the GB pedals, just to vary the sound.

I'm pretty basic really - I just want a sound that cuts through over bass and drums and I like a really simple set up with not much  to plug in!

cheers

• revivalchoir
  • Rotisseur
  • Human Animal

• Pittsburgh, PA
  • more
Reply #9 on: December 03, 2019, 22:09:58
@oorlab
the strat was my very first guitar. i still playmostly fenders
 :) :)

@revivalchoir  @Leonard Scaper  - for electric guitars here I use a Fender stratocaster and a Hagstrom hollow body HJ-800.  And I have a small amp, from Schertler, that is easy to carry and hase good line-outs. Though I am not really technically able to rewire speakers myself, I love to read up on this subject and how it effects your music making.

• Jurgen
  • Sous Chef
  • Just strumming away

• December 09, 2019, 22:58:53
    • Sydney, Australia
    • https://www.facebook.com/drivingsouthband/ https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCygXcTLN2FroxhUQM_90J6Q?view_as=subscriber https://soundcloud.com/user-386444683
  • more
Reply #10 on: December 04, 2019, 06:15:42
what model? i used to have a really nice electromatic.

I've got White Falcon - I had an old 73 strat that lived under my bed for about 10 years - didn't play it and never really liked it for some reason. Pickups were broken and I thought I'd start playing guitar again and maybe try and play jazz guitar - so swapped the strat for the Gretsch. Which isn't strictly a jazz guitar but is hollow bodied.

Took me a couple of days to decide - it played great, really nice guitar to play and sounds fantastic but I was struggling with all that gold and off white colour (mine has an aged white look).

I still struggle with all that gold 3 years later!

cheers

xx
Recording Gear

Started by Vince on The kitchen café

9 Replies
Last post October 18, 2016, 15:47:33
by Vince
xx
INVISIBLE GEAR! why not??????

Started by Dutchbeat on The kitchen café

3 Replies
Last post January 20, 2015, 23:49:32
by Dutchbeat
xx
cheap gear

0 Replies
Last post November 07, 2015, 17:35:41
by Dutchbeat
xx
some new computer gear and options

0 Replies
Last post August 05, 2015, 12:24:53
by Dutchbeat
xx
blending your music and kitchen gear together, let's make music in our kitchens!

1 Replies
Last post June 27, 2014, 20:28:23
by fischermans