• how much money are you prepared to spend on your instrument?
  • Started by Dutchbeat
  • Dutchbeat
  • MADministrator
  • Michelin Starred Chef
  • If you can stand the Beat, get into the Kitchen!

• Yesterday at 22:45:02
  • more
i just fell over over this video on my youtube (ouch  :blackgrin: :blackgrin: :blackgrin: :blackgrin:)  about the difference between a bass guitar of a 100 dollars bought on Amazon...versus a bass guitar costing 11.000 dollars....bass players @Pleudoniem @budhabuilding
@oorlab and @Mar T. and @all
what do you think?

even i guessed it right  ::) ::) ::) ::), about...which one was the expensive bass.....because it did sound better....but....you can buy 110  of the cheaper bass guitars for the price of 1.....  :o :o :o :o :o :o :o
me, myself, and Pie

• Leonard Scaper
  • Global Moderator
  • Executive Chef
  • Guest Chef

• Today at 02:01:19
    • Terra Firma
  • more
A high quality guitar will always sound and feel better to me, making it much easier to bond with. I need instruments that have something special and in my later life I have been fortunate to find them without spending a lot of money. I came into a 1969 Gibson EB3 bass that was found in an old house that was being cleaned out by a family. I paid very little for it but that instrument exudes old school quality and tone. It came with a 1971 Gibson SG electric guitar...both in amazing condition.....probably worth $$$ now.

I also have a 1933 Kalamazoo parlor style acoustic guitar....the one that Robert Johnson is pictured with. I paid very little for that but it is massively rich with tone and attitude. It's hard, IMO, to get that amazing feeling with a run of the mill guitar.

How much would I spend, though? I spent $2K for a new Martin acoustic 5 or 6 years ago and all of my songs have that on it now. Before that I used the Kalamazoo....but for years before that I was tracking my songs with a $75 Stella. That guitar also has something special, though.

8)
"The main thing is to have a gutsy approach....but use your head." Julia Child

"Special thanks to Steve Gleason for making me who I am today." Leonard Scaper

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_music.cfm?bandID=540680

« Last Edit: October 08, 2018, 22:11:49 by budhabuilding »
scott bass give great ideas but he was shocked about what you now can buy for so less money..   ::OSMAN:: ::e-guitar:: ::smiley:: ::e-guitar3::

but let's go for the 12strings bass ;-)

btw i think i spend more then 15.000 euro's on music software in the last 25 years
(and the euro doesn't exist that long) :lol:
and just some 3000 euro's on instruments....... most really really cheap ones.... but still love my cs1x yamaha for controlling my vsti
Just set all my solo  music free at https://budhabuilding.bandcamp.com

• oorlab
  • Chef de Partie
  • savoir vivre

• Yesterday at 12:10:16
    • netherlands
    • https://twitter.com/oorlab https://soundcloud.com/oorlab
  • more
Depends on the instrument off course. Instruments to perform with in a rock setting shouldn't be to expensive imo... you never know what can happen, and difficult to get an insurance. But I have seen violins that were bought as investments... as a musician I think that is a sad thing, if an instrument is not played on, only to sit in a vault...
Don't know too  much about expensive bass guitars. 11.000 euro's is a heap of money. 1500 euro seems reasonable for a good instrument.

I sometimes browse through Catawiki
https://www.catawiki.com/s/?q=bass+guitar  - they have interesting basses, but how do you know what you are buying? I'd prefer a real guitar shop... if I had some money to throw at it.
recommending https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/How_Music_Works "How music works", book by David Byrne.

• LePlongeur
  • Chef de Partie
  • In Tartiflette we trust

• Yesterday at 19:37:49
    • Greater Amsterdam
  • more
As a matter of fact, I played on a self built bass (1971) and a self built guitar 1972 ( 5 evenings) for sort of 40 years. Untill they began to fall apart.
I gave away the Gretsch (pickups) HiLo's and original Bigsby and began to play cheapo Ibanez, Cort Indonesian jangeling guitars for jangeling music.

At my age, any guitar is a guitar for life. So why bother to 'invest'?
Any guitar of 450,00 is ten times more stable and fun to play than any guitar more than three times its value of 15 years ago?

So, to answer your simple question with a straight answer? Max 500,00 mas y menos.
More or less.....
Kind regards, Gus

@budhabuilding That Scot bass looks much more like a tap guitar to me. I have one quite like it, but it's a Tenayo Ziggy. It sounds quite good, but you really need to learn how to play it. I am not sure it could match the sound of a Chapman Stick or a Warr guitar though.
Pleudoniem: composer; bass guitarist; guitarist; singer; drummer; tap-guitarist - o, and yes... erm- a bit of keys. Open for collabs.
SoundCloud Page: https://soundcloud.com/pleudoniem

Funny how this topic has come up. My guitars are old, well they use to be new, but we kind of grew old together.  I was looking at guitars online and I happened to comment out loud "what a nice looking guitar", which led to a conversation with the lovely Hannelore  about if a piece of wood could be considered pretty.

I would imagine if your a professional or semi-pro and trying to find that "right" sound to  make you famous, you'd spend the money.  I've been playing in the music store a lot of Chinese made acoustic - electric guitars under $500 USD, but even though the electronics seem top notch, the guitars still seem to me less than desirable.

If your in the "music" business ie, giving lessons, playing gigs, etc. and the money is not "under the table" than your instrument (in the USA) is a business tax deduction  and you can depreciate it against your earnings. Watch out when dealing with the Revenue Service, they have no sense of humor and like teachers, they've heard it all. 

Thanks to the reality TV shows it is now nearly impossible to find that inexpensive hidden gem.  But if you have the disposable income the guitar makers do have "collectibles"  - or "special editions".

So as for me I've got one electric (an old  Fender Strat.) and an acoustic guitar (an old Gibson)  -   The expensive guitars are nice, the cheap guitars fill a need, but I don't feel the urge to spend the money.

Vince

One thing I notice about gigging guitar and bass players is that they have the instrument they play at the gig but then they have the "nice one" kept safely at home.

See, for keyboard .... the keyboard is the keyboard. Whatever you need to do the gig you bring especially because you invest so much time programming your sounds. However, you might have some extra "toys" at home.

For horn players.... your saxophone, trumpet, flute etc.. is your actual voice. If your sax is worth $8K you still need to bring it to the gig. ( so some idiot waiter can kick it over when moving a table.... >:(  ....or some lady can crash into it when she decides that she simply must cross into the band area to get a special picture of bridezilla....... )

Drummers always have a lot of extra cymbals and drums and stuff that they leave home. They usually have multiple kits or multiple setups for different types of gigs. However, I've noticed that often times the decision is based on weight rather than price .... leave the heavy stuff at home!  :)

Some singers like to use their own mics and mic stands. Honestly, I can understand not wanting to share a mic if you're a lead singer who really works it.
Bill
Songwriter, Keyboards, Arranger, Producer & Engineer for November Sound