• Global Moderator
  • Executive Chef
  • Guest Chef

• Today at 10:42:19
    • Terra Firma
  • more
It's All About The Room
on: January 28, 2019, 01:10:50
I am a firm believer in the fact that we need to do our best to make our home recordings sound as good as possible. Once we have that amazing song written and rehearsed....well, written at least.....we need to pay a little attention to how we capture it. No matter how basic our set-up is, there are always things we can do to make the initial recording sound better by paying attention to the space we track in.

After hearing that @nicetalkintoya got his very cool sound in a walk-in closet, I got the idea that maybe we could all talk about where we record....and maybe even post a picture of the space......no matter how basic it is.

Here's mine:

I hope some folks will join this discussion with a shot of their home recording space.

8)
"The main thing is to have a gutsy approach....but use your head." Julia Child

"In a world of robotic conformity, the only originality left in music is the imperfections" Eric Craptone

"Special thanks to Steve Gleason for making me who I am today." Leonard Scaper

Lenny's Tunes: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_music.cfm?bandID=540680

https://soundcloud.com/vincentgleason

• LePlongeur
  • Sous Chef
  • In Tartiflette we trust

• Today at 10:37:07
    • Greater Amsterdam
  • more
Re: It's All About The Room
Reply #1 on: January 28, 2019, 02:46:17
Now thatís what I call a nice idea!
For a sec I thought youíd be jokingly murdering itís all about the bass, but as soon as I get back, iíll Post a pic too.
Is your studio so super isolated or do you live somewhere really quiet @Leonard Scaper ?
Kind regards, Gus

• Leonard Scaper
  • Global Moderator
  • Executive Chef
  • Guest Chef

• Today at 10:42:19
    • Terra Firma
  • more
Re: It's All About The Room
Reply #2 on: January 28, 2019, 12:42:46
Hey @LePlongeur .......no, my studio is in a back bedroom of a ranch house that is right on a pretty busy suburban street. There is another room between mine and that street. The back, however, borders a large field that is at the edge of a nature preserve. When I record I hang a very thick comforter on a string in front of the wall that faces the street. That blocks most of the street noise and it also helps to control the high frequency response of the room.

Quiet is SO important when tracking live instruments. I turn off the air handling equipment in the house, block the computer and I even unplug the studio beer fridge.  ;)

When the wind comes strong out of the north it rattles the windows. Those days I keep the beer fridge plugged in.  ;) ;) ;)

I look forward to seeing your space, Gus, and I hope others will join in this discussion because we can all learn from each other's experiences and set-ups.

xx
room

Started by revivalchoir on Songs for review

24 Replies
Last post February 13, 2017, 01:06:27
by Kristijonas
xx
What does your music room look like?

Started by Mar T. on The kitchen cafť

26 Replies
Last post July 01, 2015, 21:16:29
by Dutchbeat