• TheMobRapper
  • Patissier
  • The lyricist for anyone

• December 28, 2018, 20:12:43
    • Chandler, AZ
  • more
Licensing/Distributing Music
on: September 28, 2018, 18:32:43
So I finished my first official song, and, after hearing many raving reviews, I chose to upload it to Distrokid, a music distributor. However, it was rejected, saying that the song wasn't licensed. I didn't know that it needed to be licensed first, though that does make sense, so people don't try to take credit for it unlawfully. There's only one problem: you can't really just type in 'Music Licensers' and find them, or a blog article outlining the top 10 licensing companies. So I thought I'd come to my fellow songwriters and ask for your personal preference. I'm pretty clueless, so anything is appreciated!
Hey, it's cheaper than therapy.

Re: Licensing/Distributing Music
Reply #1 on: September 29, 2018, 15:06:05
Hi  @TheMobRapper , I was interested in this and was waiting for someone with experience in this sort of thing to reply. When I was in business one of my clients was a church. The music director use to buy a license from a christian publishing company which covered the songs the choir sang.

In our perpetual elections some songwriters have been complaining about candidates using their music in the campaigns, but since the campaign bought a license from the publishing company there is little they can do about it.

Also, I think that bars that have bands and live music should in theory have paid a license fee to the publisher, but they don't even want to pay the bands.

So I am wondering if you maybe "sampled" too much (Bittersweet Symphony)   and the company is asking if you bought a license to do so?

I really don't know how that all works, but I think there are a few people at least trying to cover their costs and sell some of their stuff and it might be an interesting thing for them.

Vince

Re: Licensing/Distributing Music
Reply #2 on: October 13, 2018, 23:47:59
Evening mate,  not heard of the company your'e using or what their exact issue is (does your song contain samples of other songs) but I use Routenote and they put my songs on Spotify, Itunes, Amazon etc