• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
  • "Let the Creators Create" :-)

• October 27, 2020, 23:54:02
    • Sheffield, UK
  • more
« Last Edit: July 24, 2020, 23:08:00 by MrBouzouki »
<EDITED to include link to new version of dpMeter 4 ... see end of post >

Dr Martin Zuther (he has a PHD in Pharmacology) is also a musician and software programmer. So he's a clever chap. I came across his website a few years ago now when researching Bob Katz and his K-meter system. Martin had actually programmed an Open Source implementation of the system so it is essentially free, based Bob Katzí specifications.

I've been using it for a while in Cubase and today I've just upgraded to version 2.8.2 (built on 2020-04-18). Despite Cubase 10.5 Pro suggesting it's not a plugin in VST-Plugin Manager, it is available and works fine.  It now has a true peak level option for the  maximum  inter-sample peak level encountered so far in dB. I've found the stereo flip and mono buttons are really useful from time to time.

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/mzuther/K-Meter/master/doc/kmeter.pdf

The reason I went down this route originally was because of the lack of decent metering in Cubase Artist. I did change the colours of my channel meters to have green yellow red sections to give a visual guide to levels.

I'm also looking at his trakMeter, a Loudness meter for correctly setting up tracking and mixing levels (gain staging).

The manual for traKmeter is worth reading as it's a bit of a mini primer in digital audio.

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/mzuther/traKmeter/master/doc/trakmeter.pdf

Basically, as he says

traKmeter  consists  of  two  meters,   a  peak meter  on  top  and  an  average  meter  below.The  meters  are  separated  by  an  orange  signal LED and consist of a green area that is en-closed by a blue one (lower levels) or a yellow and red one (higher levels).The  average  meterís  green  area  is  centred around  the−10 dBr  RMS mark.  With  a  reference level of −10 dB FS, this corresponds to the−20 dB FS RMS we have determined to be the optimal average recording level in the digital domain.The  peak  meterís  yellow  area  reaches  up  to 0 dBr peak.  Given the same reference level,this corresponds to−10 dB FS peak and peak levels shouldnít exceed this level.Thus,  by keeping the meterís readout in the green and  yellow areas and out of the red areas, you will automatically track at optimal audio levels. Itís as simple as that

The -10 dB FS peak  figure is very interesting as i heard it mentioned recently on a Live Q&A Chris Selim YouTube Video with mastering engineer Ian Shepherd as a strategy for mixing that seems to work across all genres. As he says, don't get hung up in figures and use your ears. so if it works for you artistically to have a FS peak of say -7 dB FS then use that.

Anyway, I will be trying out traKmeter to see how I get on so I thought I'd post the links here.

http://www.mzuther.de/en/software/kmeter/

http://www.mzuther.de/en/software/trakmeter/

P.S. I've just noticed he's released a general purpose compressor too.

http://www.mzuther.de/en/software/squeezer/

=====================================================================

Another meter I use, again it's free, is the TPPro audio dpMeter, now upgrade to version 4

Product description

dpMeter 4 is a precise digital audio multi channel meter including RMS, EBU R 128, Dialog gated and TruePeak (intersample) measurement. It is the successor of the very popular dpMeter II and adds GUI resizing and preset management.

https://www.tb-software.com/TBProAudio/dpmeter4.html

"Love and Life is all about connections"

• LePlongeur
  • Executive Chef
  • In Tartiflette we trust

• Yesterday at 15:29:05
    • Greater Amsterdam
  • more
Re: Martin Zuthers K-Meter and TraKmeter
Reply #1 on: July 13, 2020, 07:22:13
« Last Edit: July 13, 2020, 19:48:51 by LePlongeur »
I must say @MrBouzouki that all this is far more difficult (did I hear cult???) than I can handle.
So far, if compu nerds get involved in music, the outcome very seldom is musically.

A few exceptions:
The American metaphysical circus (Joseph Byrd)/The United States of America
And a guy in France whoís well underway with a thing that makes his compu improvise with him. A sort of question and answer system.

But I really like your search into all the 0ís and 1ís and I think it should not go unnoticed.
Thank you for posting things that make me think.

Kind regards, Gus

Edit: should NOT go unnoticed, Right?

Reply #2 on: July 13, 2020, 16:22:45
I downloaded this stuf @MrBouzouki  ..... I'll give it a try tomorrow, I think.
Bill
Songwriter, Keyboards, Arranger, Producer & Engineer for November Sound

November Sound is based on the Mother, Father & Son musical trio of Melissa, Bill & Will. I'm the father so anything I post will have my wife singing and/or my son playing percussion.

• MrBouzouki
  • Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
  • "Let the Creators Create" :-)

• October 27, 2020, 23:54:02
    • Sheffield, UK
  • more
Reply #3 on: July 14, 2020, 00:13:30
I'm using both at the moment on my latest track. I've used the meter for years now.

xx
Experimenting with meter and rhyme

Started by Rewboat on Songs for review

0 Replies
Last post April 23, 2017, 00:56:16
by Rewboat
xx
Nic Evennett & Martin Horky: Little Island

Started by dr_Shad on Songs for review

8 Replies
Last post December 03, 2017, 13:42:51
by MichaelA