• Started by MrBouzouki
  • MrBouzouki
  • Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
  • "Let the Creators Create" :-)

• Yesterday at 01:12:43
    • Sheffield, UK
  • more
Chris Selim (Mixdown Online) has recently produced a series of  of six YouTube videos dedicated to mixing your vocals.
This series might be of use to Kitchen members and Chris is very knowledgable.

1) MIX YOUR VOCALS - How to use volume AUTOMATION

2) MIX YOUR VOCALS - How to use EQ

3) MIX YOUR VOCALS - How to use COMPRESSION

4) MIX YOUR VOCALS - How to use SATURATION

5) MIX YOUR VOCALS - How to use REVERB

6) MIX YOUR VOCALS - How to use DELAY

"Love and Life is all about connections"

• Leonard Scaper
  • Global Moderator
  • Executive Chef
  • Guest Chef

• Today at 20:18:00
    • Terra Firma
  • more
Re: MIX YOUR VOCALS - six part YouTube series - Chris Selim
Reply #1 on: November 16, 2018, 14:54:40
These are very good vids and I highly recommend them to folks who may be just figuring the whole mix thing out. I know we are a songwriters forum but In think we can all agree that we want our songs to sound as good as possible to be listenable so everyone should pay a little attention to these basics.

These days there are so many good videos.....like these. When I was first learning to mix my songs it was before Youtube so I had to do a lot of reading and experimentation. I know that I fell into some odd habits because of that. These days there is no excuse!  ;)

Thanks for posting these, MrB!!!
"The main thing is to have a gutsy approach....but use your head." Julia Child

"In a world of robotic conformity, the only originality left in music is the imperfections" Eric Craptone

"Special thanks to Steve Gleason for making me who I am today." Leonard Scaper

Lenny's Tunes: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_music.cfm?bandID=540680

https://soundcloud.com/vincentgleason

• MrBouzouki
  • Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
  • "Let the Creators Create" :-)

• Yesterday at 01:12:43
    • Sheffield, UK
  • more
Reply #2 on: November 16, 2018, 15:47:20
Cheers Lenny - I've already learnt so much from Chris and others. I had never thought about Saturation before so I will be exploring that idea. 

I noticed a few members were saying they were trying to get their vocals better so if nothing else it's a good grounding about what to think about.

::OSMAN:: ::OSMAN:: ::OSMAN::

Reply #3 on: November 23, 2018, 03:46:06
I watched the saturation one.
I kind of think saturation is more appropriate for male vocals...  to my ears anyway.

Think of a male singer hitting power notes than run in the 500 - 600 hz sweet spot, I think (b/c I usually mix female vocals...). That's in that area where the electric guitars are, and saxophones, trombones and other instruments where our ears are accustomed to the harmonics and/or distortion.

Now imagine a female vocalist slamming a power note in the 800 hz - 1khz sweet spot  ..... now that's an area that we need to take care with. It will get harsh. It will get painful if you start distorting it.

I've tried pushing the harmonics of the pre-amps, adding distortion, over-compressing etc.. and I haven't been too happy with the results. It needs to be really subtle when used with the female vocals if at all. At least that's what I think and I know Melissa wants her voice to sound clear. 
Bill
Songwriter, Keyboards, Arranger, Producer & Engineer for November Sound

November Sound is based on the Mother, Father & Son musical trio of Melissa, Bill & Will. I'm the father so anything I post will have my wife singing and/or my son playing percussion.

Reply #4 on: November 23, 2018, 16:37:19
Thanks @MrBouzouki  as a non-singer I need all the help I can get.

V.