• Nearfield Monitor Speaker Isolation using Sorbothane pads (recommended)
  • Started by MrBouzouki
  • MrBouzouki
  • Chef de Partie
  • "Let the Creators Create" :-)

• November 19, 2018, 21:26:39
    • Sheffield, UK
  • more
« Last Edit: June 09, 2018, 15:00:54 by MrBouzouki »
I've recently been thinking about vibration from your nearfield monitors influencing your mix sound after seeing something on YouTube about it.

I remember our industrial noise experts at work using a product called Sorbothane and it looks like it's a popular commercial solution in the IT and Hi_Fi field for vibration isolation.

As well as the obvious de-coupling of your speaker from the surface it is resting on, ( I guess it can act as a bass-soundboard to artificially enhance the bass in your studio and give you a false mix, these sort of mounts are supposed to give clearer mids , "less 'smeared' was the term I read about.

There are several companies who do this sort of thing from the fairly cheap to ridiculous prices for hobbyists, a company called isolateit 

https://www.isolateit.com/

make hemispheres for small speakers at a fairly cheap price. On Amazon in the UK and USA.

Does anybody use, had any experience with these products ? I know Sorbothane is an impressive vibration isolator from our uses in the Steel Industry but has anybody had any practical experience in a home studio ?

"Love and Life is all about connections"

• MrBouzouki
  • Chef de Partie

• Sheffield, UK
  • more
« Last Edit: June 08, 2018, 01:01:46 by MrBouzouki »
Ummmmmmmm - some of the theory behind it ...

https://www.isolateit.com/speaker-isolation

Do It Yourself: "The Secret Life of Speaker Isolators" By Bruce Black

Here is a great article entitled "The Secret Life of Speaker Isolators" that was published in the March 2014 volume of Recording Magazine by Bruce Black:

... and the maths to do with the density of the isolator and the overall weight of the speaker

https://www.isolateit.com/speaker-decoupling

• MrBouzouki
  • Chef de Partie

• Sheffield, UK
  • more
Well I've ordered up some of the non-sticky ones with a unique urethane coating that makes them safe on all surfaces including wood, vinyl, plastic and glass.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B005I5QODY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

16.50 Amazon UK price so worth trying to see if it makes a difference

::OSMAN:: ::OSMAN:: ::OSMAN::

• MrBouzouki
  • Chef de Partie

• Sheffield, UK
  • more
« Last Edit: June 09, 2018, 15:47:46 by MrBouzouki »
My pads came today and were attached to my nearfields.

I thought I already had pretty good isolation but particularly at higher volume levels the drums seem tighter and the mids seem perhaps clearer than they were before.

I reckon for the relatively small outlay everybody should buy some and see if it improves their own listening experience. So I recommend them as they seem to have improved my setup

Better listening mean better mixes in my book

::OSMAN:: ::OSMAN:: ::OSMAN::

« Last Edit: June 15, 2018, 15:55:42 by Bill from November Sound »
Hey @MrBouzouki , how much higher do they raise your speakers up? Do they seem tippy or anything?
Bill
Songwriter, Keyboards, Arranger, Producer & Engineer for November Sound

November Sound is based on the Mother, Father & Son musical trio of Melissa, Bill & Will. I'm the father so anything I post will have my wife singing and/or my son playing percussion.

• MrBouzouki
  • Chef de Partie

• Sheffield, UK
  • more
Hi @Bill from November Sound , in small small room I have Presonus Eris E5's so I don't blow my head off when monitoring.
After reference to the weight table I got some that are 1 inch wide and 0.5 inch tall. They seem fairly sturdy and they recommend one in each corner.
The ones I got come supplied with some 3M sticky pads to attach them to the monitor underside.