• NON DAW Recording - Tips and Tricks
  • Started by MrBouzouki
Re: NON DAW Recording - Tips and Tricks
Reply #15 on: July 28, 2019, 05:15:21
.. don’t give up... don’t forget the Delete button is your friend... it will set you free!

ha, ha  @1roomstudio   … I like this!   :D    especially video..... I record everything … and I rarely delete it.  :bonk:  I dump the footage onto external hard drives.   
Bill
Songwriter, Keyboards, Arranger, Producer & Engineer for November Sound

November Sound is based on the Mother, Father & Son musical trio of Melissa, Bill & Will. I'm the father so anything I post will have my wife singing and/or my son playing percussion.

Reply #16 on: July 28, 2019, 13:07:14
@1roomstudio your whole post is inspiring and full of good vibes! Delete and I are great friends! @Bill from November Sound the Recording Revolution videos are very helpful. I also found another guy's videos (Rick something) that talks about what compression does and how, equalization, etc., the very basics..I am very anxious to move forward. Will be teeny tiny baby steps, but if I'm improving it will make me happy. Anyway, I appreciate your suggestions!!  ;D
Do what makes your heart sing :)

• CGHound
  • Patissier
  • Karma Hunter

• Today at 09:26:05
  • more
Reply #17 on: May 11, 2020, 04:19:27
In the 70's I always had a cassette recorder with a single microphone. I would put that on a chair in the middle of the room and record the home grown music that was being played around the wood stove. I wish I still had any of those tapes.

In the 90's I had a Tascam 424 4 track cassette deck. That was when I got serious about recording. I learned how to bounce tracks together to overdub a number of tracks.....no equalizers or compressors or anything like that. I didn't know they existed. 4-tracking like that taught me how to work to capture a decent sound. I still have one of those cassettes but I'm afraid to play it as it will probably self destruct if I do.

I got my first DAW (Pro Tools) right around the turn of the last century.

We live in an amazing time, though. I love hearing what folks are capturing on their phones.....it always sounds so honest and true.

I had a  Ross 4 track cassette recorder. A friend of mine had a Teac i think and it ran and twice the speed of my Ross and sounded better. To get effects we'd plug into an effects unit and sometimes we'd run the drum machine into a guitar amp and come from the line out to get reverb.

They used to make a recorder that used a VHS or a Beta cassette and if I recall correctly the cassette would only last 15 minutes. I think they were 8 tracks.  Iooked for info about them but wasn't able to find one.

I've thought about getting a tape simulator plug in that would give that tape saturation and compression. Digital can be harsh.

xx
DAWS - Tips and Tricks

Started by MrBouzouki on Songwriting Ingredients

25 Replies
Last post May 10, 2020, 03:04:13
by Bill from November Sound
xx
tips for video tricks

Started by Dutchbeat on The kitchen café

0 Replies
Last post December 07, 2014, 20:39:24
by Dutchbeat
xx
AUDACITY - Tips and Tricks

Started by oorlab on Songwriting Ingredients

33 Replies
Last post January 18, 2020, 09:38:24
by Monty Cash Music
question
Songwriting tips and tricks - NEWS: DB's entry is in!!

Started by Mar T. on The kitchen café

22 Replies
Last post September 25, 2016, 02:20:12
by Mar T.
xx
Arranging songs - Tips and Tricks collection thread

Started by Mar T. on Songwriting Ingredients

6 Replies
Last post June 05, 2020, 22:42:22
by MotterPaul