• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
  • "Let the Creators Create" :-)

• Yesterday at 23:31:07
    • Sheffield, UK
  • more
Not buying VST's when you can do it yourself
on: December 28, 2018, 20:00:48
I'm back on with my Pilgrim's Way project at the moment and I've just finished tracking the 'Kyrie Eleison' Gregorian Chant in full six times to give the sound of the monks in the Benedictine monastery of Lindisfarne as part of my Rainbow Arch track.

I could have bought a VST called Cantus, but it costs 199 Euros / $199  / 169 and I thought, why not do it myself and save a bit of cash.
This is an excellent product, but overkill for what I need given the price.

https://www.bestservice.com/cantus.html

However, by doing it myself I can actually sing the words of the chant that are in Greek I believe. So I'm doing a 'real' performance.   

I changed my vocal delivery by raising and lowering my larynx / changing resonance etc. to try and get different versions of the chant so when they are all mixed together, with a large amount of reverb, it sounds surprisingly effective.

So I guess my point is, quite often we reach for easy ways of doing things as opposed to messing around with settings, beats, sounds,  or in this case, singing the parts I needed.

I feel it it sometimes worth going the extra mile to push at your current boundaries.  What are people's thoughts on this ?

"Love and Life is all about connections"

• Leonard Scaper
  • Global Moderator
  • Executive Chef
  • Guest Chef

• Yesterday at 20:27:42
    • Terra Firma
  • more
Re: Not buying VST's when you can do it yourself
Reply #1 on: December 28, 2018, 22:04:38
My thoughts, although not completely relevant to your discussion, MrB .........

I have no VST's. I have no third party plug-ins. I use the stock plug-ins in protools for all of my processing. My synthesized sounds come from a circa 1990 rack mounted synthesizer.

I know this makes me a bit of a studio Luddite but it has also made me work harder to keep my simple music relevant here in the 21st century.  ;)

8)
"The main thing is to have a gutsy approach....but use your head." Julia Child

"In a world of robotic conformity, the only originality left in music is the imperfections" Eric Craptone

"Special thanks to Steve Gleason for making me who I am today." Leonard Scaper

Lenny's Tunes: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_music.cfm?bandID=540680

https://soundcloud.com/vincentgleason

• MrBouzouki
  • Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef

• Sheffield, UK
  • more
Reply #2 on: December 28, 2018, 22:49:19
Well @Leonard Scaper ,  I think we all know your music is certainly not 'simple', and your work ethic is plain for all to see ;-)
I think it's good for people to realise that all the bells and whistles are not required to make a good tune and often the kitchen sink is too much.

Music is very visual for me and I think many of my ideas come from picturing something, then finding a sound to reflect what I see.  I must admit to have been seduced by the 'textures' of different sounds but I have tried very hard not to get too carried away. Until recently, most of my instruments and FX were included as part of my DAW Cubase, but I have started to invest in new sounds as required.

I know @Timothy Smith has been wrestling with the 'real playing' versus 'virtual instruments' question, but it would be interesting to know what others think ? I guess music genre might play a part, how much income/time you have to devote to music and just what you want to achieve.

At the end of the day, it's what makes us happy I guess :-)

Reply #3 on: December 28, 2018, 23:59:30
.......all the bells and whistles are not required to make a good tune and often the kitchen sink is too much ....
Hey @MrBouzouki  when you're here in the kitchen then I think the "kitchen sink" is perfect!  ;D

So anyway.... yes recording the vocal parts with a choral sound is cool. IMO When we made our song "Strong Love" there are so many vocal parts because Melissa and Will and I did multiple harmony parts. Then we did multiple harmony parts singing in a choral style. (like you we've all spent a good part of our lives in choral settings ...) Will and I doubled and tripled singing with different timbres to create a choir.

It is most difficult to make a choir with only one person so what you are doing is admirable. :)  :ok:

To me the hardest thing is to record Melissa when she does classical soprano ... I have to put the mic up over her head .... because her voice moves so much air like that ... it makes "wind" in the recording.... pop filters, isolation, no matter. When people record opera singers they record the room really. Well, my room is nothing to record.

So @MrBouzouki I don't want to ruin your no VST resolution but Eric Whitacre's choir is now a VST !!!!!!!   An expensive one!!!!!!!  An unbelievable one!!!!!!

https://www.spitfireaudio.com/shop/a-z/eric-whitacre-choir/

Have you heard his choir live? All the singers are from your area ..... I have been to so many choral performances but this .. it was like I'd never heard music before in my entire life. They were channeling energy and sounds from other worlds. I have never experienced anything like it. Feelings like I had never felt: tears were streaming down my face and I was completely spellbound.

Now for $599 USD it can all be yours.......
Bill
Songwriter, Keyboards, Arranger, Producer & Engineer for November Sound

November Sound is based on the Mother, Father & Son musical trio of Melissa, Bill & Will. I'm the father so anything I post will have my wife singing and/or my son playing percussion.

• MrBouzouki
  • Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef

• Sheffield, UK
  • more
Reply #4 on: December 29, 2018, 01:30:32
Aye I know of Eric Whitacre Choir @Bill from November Sound .

I think the phrase I need is "Get thee behind me Satan" ;-)

:blackgrin: :blackgrin: :blackgrin: :blackgrin:

Reply #5 on: December 29, 2018, 01:59:38
Sorry.
                                            :D    :lol:

Reply #6 on: December 29, 2018, 03:10:17
@MrBouzouki , I can fully relate to the feeling of wanting a sound library and deciding not to do it.  I usually wait for the sales. They all know me and I get the emails from most of them. I'll wait and pick things up at 50% or more off retail. I began to realize that A. My hard drive space was shrinking and B. I  could make do without a lot of it. I still get the occasional want but not as often anymore. I think the novelty is wearing off.  I'll see great acoustic guitar sample libraries and think to myself, I'll just pick up a guitar. If I can do it without I will. Sometimes a micro library is all I need.

I did wrestle with it on and off trying to find musical direction. I seem to be very back and forth on some things. To me, it feels better when I can play the music with my instruments and it's more straight forward. Yet at other times there's just no other way to do it unless I use a vsti.  Using tech can sometimes bog me down .  I find pop music hard to mix because nothing is usually real in it for me. Everything is expected to be mangled and made to have a unique sound. I get lost in it and then it isn't fun any more. All songs are different. 

Over the years I have picked up enough know how working ITB that most things are easier than they once were to do. I guess my biggest dilemma was whether I should invest in large cinematic libraries. I have enough to get me by. I think I've decided that when I actually need a large one, that's when I''ll jump.  I have plenty enough to use for adding to my smaller arrangements. No one is paying me to make music(other than my weekly piano gig). Everything I spend goes right down a hole so far as that goes.

I've seen too many guys get all caught up in the tools and forget how to make music.  I was one of those guys. I scan almost 1000 plugins on one of my DAWS. About 800 of them are 3rd party. Other DAWS not as much because they only accept 64bit.  There are unique attributes that make some of them worth having. My last project was done in a DAW that only found some of my folders. I managed to make a decent mix with the plugins in it which were quite good.

Same goes for DAWS, Same goes for software instruments. I need to use what I have and probably not buy more.  There are guys with almost nothing who can mix better than I can.

xx
Free VST instruments???

Started by habiTat on Life

0 Replies
Last post January 14, 2014, 17:43:02
by habiTat
xx
the pulse modulator (VST) from audio damager

Started by Dutchbeat on Life

3 Replies
Last post July 29, 2014, 16:30:36
by Dutchbeat
xx
Kitchen percussion/instrument VST created esp. for the kitchen AND for free!!

Started by Mar T. on Songwriting Ingredients

14 Replies
Last post December 06, 2018, 18:23:59
by Dutchbeat