• Recording Revolution - (6steps) radio ready guide (PDF)
  • Started by MrBouzouki
Re: Recording Revolution - (6steps) radio ready guide (PDF)
Reply #15 on: February 03, 2019, 13:30:29
@Bill from November Sound I use Logic. I use Reaper as well, but although Logic has a tendency to show 'system overload' sometimes, whereas Reaper never does that, I still use Logic most of the time. I don't know why, really.  @budhabuilding I don't see your thoughts on Logic?

I use Superior Drummer, and a KAT KT3 e-drumkit to play the patterns on. SD allows you to drag midi-patterns to your edit, but I like to play the patterns myself, because I like to play the drums. I think SD is a magnificent piece of software, as is BFD-drums, which I also use. Both have a tremendous set of extensions which are all more than worthwhile.

I DO buy things. It's because I like them and I find them useful. Any advice not to buy anything goes one ear in, the other one out. It would be message to deaf ears. I only go for things that I think will be useful though, I don't just buy to buy, because I like it. I must admit there is a vague bordeline between the two, because I can usually convince myself that I need a piece of software, in all dishonesty..  ::e-guitar3::
Pleudoniem: composer; bass guitarist; guitarist; singer; drummer; tap-guitarist - o, and yes... erm- a bit of keys. Open for collabs.
SoundCloud Page: https://soundcloud.com/pleudoniem

Reply #16 on: February 03, 2019, 13:45:45

I DO buy things. It's because I like them and I find them useful. Any advice not to buy anything goes one ear in, the other one out. It would be message to deaf ears. I only go for things that I think will be useful though, I don't just buy to buy, because I like it. I must admit there is a vague bordeline between the two, because I can usually convince myself that I need a piece of software, in all dishonesty..  ::e-guitar3::

You see that's what is so funny about this old thread called "recording revolution" making it's return! TRR says don't buy stuff - but I like to buy stuff ....ha,ha, ha!! :lol: :D I'm with you @Pleudoniem !!!!  :)
Bill
Songwriter, Keyboards, Arranger, Producer & Engineer for November Sound

November Sound is based on the Mother, Father & Son musical trio of Melissa, Bill & Will. I'm the father so anything I post will have my wife singing and/or my son playing percussion.

Reply #17 on: February 03, 2019, 13:55:56
@Pleudoniem  i didn't gave my opinion about logic because i didn't use it that often. Only to convert into another DAW and for teaching others.
Logic is perfect for use with Audio Unit plugins.  Has great routing designer.

Some other DAW's that i did not mention are:
Studio one... best integration with melodyne ...
Bitwig ... new modular system looks great.. really good software developers
Pro-tools... was the world standard but loosing ground.. if you want to work in other pro studio's you need it
Tracktion .. it's free to start if that's not a bargain
Renoise.. trackerstyle
Digital performer .. never worked with it but i like MOTU
Cakewalk.. great and free .. it has really good graphic design but it also makes it a little CPU heavy with these graphics.
Mixcraft... it's the stable version of acid.... It was on of the orginal programmers of ACID
Ardour... almost free ... great alternative to protools..

and there are more ;-)

Just set all my solo  music free at https://budhabuilding.bandcamp.com

Reply #18 on: February 03, 2019, 15:14:26
Hey there @Pleudoniem and @budhabuilding  and @Ym   

So Acid is now a Magix product instead of Sony and they also have Music Maker, right? Cakewalk and Sonar are now gone ?..... out of business ... run by Gibson who canned them to focus on guitars (and supposedly consumer electronics) I guess.

You should demo a few @Ym before you decide I think.

I tried Pro Tools Daw in college and before that I used Digital Performer there ... very early version as a no frills MIDI sequencer. 
Pro Tools at that time required purchase of their hardware, and their control of your computer settings and I didn't like them telling me what to do. That's the only reason I don't use Pro Tools today - i just didn't buy their program and all their stuff.

I tried Sonar when it was around and Studio One ... but I couldn't easily get them to do what I wanted. ( multiple channels of MIDI and Native instruments running at once in the style of a MIDI sequencer. ... again probably just user error.... but workflow is important) Studio One sounded strange ... kind of artificially bright? .... to me at that time. This was one of their early versions of the program so I'm sure they've gotten a lot better. I messed around with Ableton but couldn't get into it and Reason has always looked super cool to me.

So.... I'm still using Cubase because I know how to use it for what I do.

Reply #19 on: February 03, 2019, 17:10:33
@Bill from November Sound and @Ym  little extra info  ;)

cakewalk sonar is bought by bandlab and it's free now
https://www.bandlab.com/products/cakewalk

Pro-tools has a version without protools hardware
https://www.avid.com/pro-tools/comparison
check compatible hardware ;-)

Reply #20 on: February 03, 2019, 18:26:39
I used to work a lot with Tracktion. It was off the market for some time, as Mackie did not want to support it anymore, but now it's re-invented itself under its own name. They say it returned by popular request. I'm not sure what such a claim is really worth, but when I used it, I quite liked it.

• Ym
  • Apprentice
  • Karma Hunter

• February 04, 2019, 00:32:14
  • more
Reply #21 on: February 03, 2019, 23:35:35
« Last Edit: February 03, 2019, 23:51:38 by Ym »
You all have given me a great deal to consider!  In just need to pick one and get started.

I don't know how familiar you are with Mimic Pro, but I can record stereo directly in the module synced to a click.  But for more refined recording,  I use a db25 from the module to the Touchmix.  So everything is separated like a real kit. Then I have 8 more regular channels and 4 stereo inputs for the other instruments.  I take those files and run the Touchmix convert software.  At this point it's time for a DAW.

One thing that is confusing.  I have a lot of EQ, FX, and processing on the Touchmix.  Should I be using this during the initial recording phase, does it greatly affect what I can or should be doing in the DAW?

MimicPro is a module, similar to a roland TD50, but a VST by design. Removing the need for an interface

• Mar T.
  • Senior Site Administrator
  • Michelin Starred Chef
  • Pay it forward! (watch that movie..)

• December 06, 2019, 14:51:12
    • Duiven
    • http://twitter.com/MartiMediaSC http://www.facebook.com/MartiMedia http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEBmQkchurQ https://soundcloud.com/martimedia
  • more
Reply #22 on: February 03, 2019, 23:43:03
Good to hear we are being of help here @Ym !

As I was talking about Reaper I realised that I lost track of Reason a long time ago. I see they're at version 10.2 now, and although I prefer to create rock, I'm in for some EDM fusion. Reason 10.2 looks perfect (esp the new 'Europe' synth). Going to do a try-and if like-buy this month, and might use it to create my 'write a song using software-generated lyrics' entry for the currently running songwriting challenge.

That was a bit off-topic.. Never heard of Mimic pro haha.. Keep us posted about your progress @Ym !!
I'm proud of this track, check it out! https://soundcloud.com/martimedia/dreams

• MrBouzouki
  • Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
  • "Let the Creators Create" :-)

• December 04, 2019, 01:12:12
    • Sheffield, UK
  • more
Reply #23 on: February 03, 2019, 23:54:30
« Last Edit: February 03, 2019, 23:57:11 by MrBouzouki »
Hi @Ym , I know nothing about your system, others can advise, but I do think you should try for minimal processing needed to get a decent recording of any actual audio part.  If it's a MIDI part with a VST  type instrument this is less of a problem.

I guess i'm taking about not making mixing / tweaking decisions too early so even for a MIDI I try to separate  'Recording' from 'Mixing'. This way you capture your pure idea and can refine it during the 'Mixing' process but it's difficult to do that if you've already locked a track using processing that modify's the original waveform if it's audio. 

To me recording is the performance and mixing is the balancing and tweaking of those performances to make them all work together.  Mastering is the final 'fine' adjustments needed to make the track ready to be released to an audience.

I do always save regularly during mixing and label the saves so I can easily revert to a previous 'lock' of a song if required.

This all assumes you have a computer-based DAW  to record into of course
"Love and Life is all about connections"

• LePlongeur
  • Sous Chef
  • In Tartiflette we trust

• Today at 10:37:07
    • Greater Amsterdam
  • more
Reply #24 on: February 04, 2019, 03:37:18
Hi @MrBouzouki
Thank you so much for your efforts and research to better the sound of my recordings.

As a rule the suggestions are way beyond the possibilities of my museum worthy recorder, but I have the idea that this is more of a general (not specific computer) nature.

As I have some extra time to read etc, I hope that I can learn something from this guy.

Thank you for your good care of us.
Kind regards, Gus

Reply #25 on: February 10, 2019, 13:25:04
I am returning to Reaper. Logic has this annoying tendency of showing System Overloads. Logic is a great program if it won't do that a bit too often, but now I've had enough of it. Possibly, when I buy a more powerful computer in a couple of years, I will start using it again. Odds are just that Logic may have increased its weight as well, but we'll see if that is the case.

xx
Built a kitchen radio! + Submit your kitchen radio jingles, it's fun!!

Started by Mar T. on Forum News/Updates

55 Replies
Last post January 08, 2019, 20:29:00
by robertkc
xx
Revolution

Started by Alex on Songs for review

6 Replies
Last post May 06, 2017, 06:03:11
by jamesmcc
xx
Retrival Update - Guide vocals, Shakespeare, Heavy Breathing and Beeps

Started by MrBouzouki on Songs for review

5 Replies
Last post March 31, 2018, 19:13:39
by Dutchbeat
xx
Jade (remix of full version w/ Revolution 9.1 intro)

Started by daren on Songs for review

6 Replies
Last post September 03, 2014, 12:50:08
by CrystalSuzy
xx
Ready Aim Fire

Started by PTCruiser1801 on Songs for review

8 Replies
Last post March 14, 2016, 20:32:25
by PTCruiser1801