• Started by MrBouzouki
  • MrBouzouki
  • Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
  • "Let the Creators Create" :-)

• Today at 13:31:53
    • Sheffield, UK
  • more
This is a fascinating, and at times funny, scientific talk all about  repetition , particularity in pop music.
It's well worth diving into this I think, particularity if you producing songs for commercial consumption.

Using foundational computer science theories, Colin Morris focuses on understanding trends in popular music. Borrowing from the areas of bioinformatics and compression algorithms, he shows that the lyrics of pop songs have become substantially more repetitive over the decades. Having established that, Morris tries to convince listeners that this is actually a good thing. He traces repetition in pop lyrics back to its poetic roots, and shows that, rather than being formulaic and recycled, repetitive songs show fascinating diversity. He suggests listeners stop thinking about repetitive earworms as guilty pleasures, and instead think of them as virtuous ones. Colin Morris is a data scientist and educator based in Toronto with a Master's in Computational Linguistics. His work often involves applying computational techniques to the analysis and appreciation of popular music. Most recently, he has analyzed trends in lyrical repetition of hit songs. This talk was given at a TEDx event using the TED conference format but independently organized by a local community.
"Love and Life is all about connections"

Re: Repetition is a good thing - TED Talk by Colin Morris
Reply #1 on: December 24, 2018, 13:39:25
80% compressible, 43% La by volume.     

Ha,ha  :lol:  I love it. :D
Bill
Songwriter, Keyboards, Arranger, Producer & Engineer for November Sound

November Sound is based on the Mother, Father & Son musical trio of Melissa, Bill & Will. I'm the father so anything I post will have my wife singing and/or my son playing percussion.

xx
Only a little thing ...

Started by MrBouzouki on The kitchen café

2 Replies
Last post September 17, 2017, 22:34:06
by Dutchbeat
xx
Love is the last thing to go

Started by Bluedusksun on Songs for review

8 Replies
Last post February 19, 2018, 21:39:01
by Bluedusksun
xx
the only thing you liked.... about bandpractice

Started by Dutchbeat on The kitchen café

0 Replies
Last post December 03, 2014, 19:48:20
by Dutchbeat
xx
Tried to use Clipping to my advantage in this chill trap thing

Started by elitelecaster on Songs for review

3 Replies
Last post August 31, 2016, 11:38:18
by Andrew Jezmund
xx
Cool Ambient/Electronic thing I Made that I would like critique on!

Started by elitelecaster on Songs for review

2 Replies
Last post June 24, 2016, 23:57:58
by Dutchbeat