• LePlongeur
  • Executive Chef
  • In Tartiflette we trust

• Yesterday at 15:29:05
    • Greater Amsterdam
  • more
In Review @GTB has posted a song that belongs in the series
A song for each year from 1945 onwards.

Last Saturday, a outspoken writer, or radical feminist had an extensive article published in Het Parool, the one and only Amsterdam daily paper.
The name of the lady is Stella Bergsma. The title of the article: a plea for the unkind woman
The article is divided into chapters, of a page each:
Be dangerous
Be bad
Be angry
Be shameless
Be immodest

So yesterday afternoon, I wrote a sequence of lyrics somehow belonging together. All 5 of them and inspired on her article.

Another series in the making is
Zing
Vecht
Huil
Bid
Lach
Werk
En bewonder
(Niet zonder ons)

Inspired on a song by Ramses Shaffy (NL).

Maybe you think that this is strictly old hat; maybe it is a source of inspiration. Like GTB’s was for me.
Kind regards, Gus

Re: ‘Connecting songs’ by writing them in series
Reply #1 on: June 29, 2020, 03:06:41
Hi @LePlongeur  ..... have you created the songs for this set of lyrics? 
Bill
Songwriter, Keyboards, Arranger, Producer & Engineer for November Sound

November Sound is based on the Mother, Father & Son musical trio of Melissa, Bill & Will. I'm the father so anything I post will have my wife singing and/or my son playing percussion.

• LePlongeur
  • Executive Chef

• Greater Amsterdam
  • more
Reply #2 on: June 29, 2020, 07:10:18
No, I'm afraid I have/did not, @Bill from November Sound . Or not yet anyway.
I just promised myself to get them out of the pile if lyrics, waiting for their maltreatment. Otherwise it will take some 2.5 years to get to them and rediscover them.

Normally I do songs and paste chronologically sorted lyrics, but hey why not cheat now and then.

To be continued....
Thank you Bill for this reminder.
Kind regards, Gus

• LePlongeur
  • Executive Chef

• Greater Amsterdam
  • more
Reply #3 on: June 29, 2020, 14:25:22
Called ‘kleinkunst’ or cabaret.
When we talk about songs/kleinkunst, I think that Ramses Shaffy was the best.
And the some 8 songs I talked about that were not about Stella, were about Ramses.

Enjoy, even if you’ve no clue what it’s about. It’s magic.
Kind regards, Gus

• DonMar
  • Poissonier
  • Karma Hunter

• September 24, 2020, 08:44:13
    • Delft, Netherlands
  • more
Reply #4 on: July 25, 2020, 09:54:42
In Review @GTB has posted a song that belongs in the series
A song for each year from 1945 onwards.

Last Saturday, a outspoken writer, or radical feminist had an extensive article published in Het Parool, the one and only Amsterdam daily paper.
The name of the lady is Stella Bergsma. The title of the article: a plea for the unkind woman
The article is divided into chapters, of a page each:
Be dangerous
Be bad
Be angry
Be shameless
Be immodest

So yesterday afternoon, I wrote a sequence of lyrics somehow belonging together. All 5 of them and inspired on her article.

Another series in the making is
Zing
Vecht
Huil
Bid
Lach
Werk
En bewonder
(Niet zonder ons)

Inspired on a song by Ramses Shaffy (NL).

Maybe you think that this is strictly old hat; maybe it is a source of inspiration. Like GTB’s was for me.
Kind regards, Gus

That's a great idea, @LePlongeur:)

Donna
Honour the earth. Without It, we'd be nowhere. - D.D.

• LePlongeur
  • Executive Chef

• Greater Amsterdam
  • more
Reply #5 on: July 25, 2020, 10:49:53
Thank you @DonMar .
You may be familiar with the idea of prompt writing’?
In fact this serial writing, guided by articles and such is a solitaire form of prompt writing. I hope to lure Kitcheners into this form of writing, where for instance once a month, a picture is posted. And the Kitcheners who like that idea write lyrics that have something to do with that picture.

The fun bit of it is, that we all can read a number of different songs, vaguely based on the same prompt.
And at the same time a prompt to write, for those who need (or could use) such a prompt. I wonder if you would join when we got that started?
Thank you for your time!
Kind regards, Gus

• DonMar
  • Poissonier
  • Karma Hunter

• Delft, Netherlands
  • more
Reply #6 on: July 25, 2020, 11:17:35
« Last Edit: July 25, 2020, 15:45:38 by DonMar »
Hi Gus. Indeed, I'm very familiar with 'prompt' writing. For the past several years, I've taken part in two annual songwriting challenges (one runs for a month in February, and the other for three months from July to October). A feature of these is an activity referred to as a 'skirmish', during which someone posts a theme or another type of prompt, and the challenge is to write a lyric or song within 60 minutes. (The results of course are seen as 'drafts', to be revised/fine-tuned at a later date. The object of the exercise is simply to get something down that perhaps you would not have done otherwise.)

The idea of a monthly 'serial' writing exercise is good. I'd love to take part in it, time and inspiration permitting. (The past several months - since late last year - have been pretty stressful [not even including the pandemic], with deaths in the family plus normal 'life sh*t', so I've mainly been flying under the radar, with bursts of activity here and there.)

But sure, I'd be interested in a monthly prompt. Plenty of time to come up with something. :)

• Mo
  • Rotisseur

• October 28, 2020, 11:22:53
  • more
Reply #7 on: July 25, 2020, 11:26:09
Hello @DonMar  and @LePlongeur ,

this sounds very interestin but i still not sure If Im got the point of all.

@LePlongeur  is it right you doing a certain suggestion here for another kind of challenging?
Maybe you could describe with some other words?
As far I understood its sounds very exciting  trying 'prompt-writing' to a picture within in a certain time frame too as @DonMar mentioned.
To what I'm understood i would be in those kind of game probably  ;).

• LePlongeur
  • Executive Chef

• Greater Amsterdam
  • more
Reply #8 on: July 25, 2020, 16:19:33
Hello @DonMar  and @LePlongeur ,

this sounds very interestin but i still not sure If Im got the point of all.

@LePlongeur  is it right you doing a certain suggestion here for another kind of challenging?
Maybe you could describe with some other words?
As far I understood its sounds very exciting  trying 'prompt-writing' to a picture within in a certain time frame too as @DonMar mentioned.
To what I'm understood i would be in those kind of game probably  ;).

The way I organized it at another forum:
Every even numbered week, I * post a photo, an article for a paper, a cartoon... anything that was to be the subject for the next period of two weeks. The subject is almost completely at the choice of the person who is in charge of that period. I wrote I * because after 1 period, I would invite somebody else for the next period. Who would, in turn, invite the next to contribute.

It is no challenge, it’s merely the fun that all of a sudden you were invited to write about a subject, you wouldn’t dream of writing about, had it not been ‘dictated’ by the prompt writing system.

I remember posting a photo made of parrots. 11 parrots were facing the lens of the camera, only 1 had turned around. Showing us his/her tale.

Once every fortnight was judged to be somewhat demanding by some of the forummers, and with once every month it lost momentum and slowly petered out.

The counter tells me that there were 254 contributions and 3980 views.

Not bad at all for a very specialized Dutch/Flemish forum, I think.
Form and (dis) organization of the prompt writing bit in da Kitchen is open for debate.
@Mo
@DonMar
And of course the lyrics are posted in the soon to be Prompt Writing part of the Kitchen.

So, I hope we can get this done.....
Kind regards, Gus

• DonMar
  • Poissonier
  • Karma Hunter

• Delft, Netherlands
  • more
Reply #9 on: July 25, 2020, 16:57:51
@LePlongeur , If it's about writing one lyric/song each time, I would think that 2 weeks is enough. But for several (e.g. minimum 3 ) songs based on a theme, a month might be better.  Or perhaps 3 weeks so that momentum doesn't fade?

What did you have in mind?

• LePlongeur
  • Executive Chef

• Greater Amsterdam
  • more
Reply #10 on: July 25, 2020, 19:39:35
I am not the touchstone @DonMar @Mo but 1 text/lyrics is good enough for me. It's up to you if you seek a collab, make a song etc.

I always did that, turning the lyrics into a song. SImply because I like that. But if it were up to me, that is not perse needed.
It's purely about the adventure of writing what others dream up and having the chance to read what others made of it. And if someone has 'light' ideas about this, i'd like that.
My idea is to keep it simple and playful. For want of a better word.
Kind regards, Gus

• DonMar
  • Poissonier
  • Karma Hunter

• Delft, Netherlands
  • more
Reply #11 on: July 25, 2020, 21:09:57
@LePlongeur , 'simple and playful' works best for me.  :) Depending on my time and the particular 'prompt', etc., I'd likely go for one lyric or up to three lyrics in a linked series. As with the 'skirmishes' that I mentioned earlier, I'd view the result(s) more as a draft to work on later rather than a finished product (unless I happened to fine-tune it to my satisfaction during the allotted period).

Main goal: Get something written.  ;)

Donna

• LePlongeur
  • Executive Chef

• Greater Amsterdam
  • more
Reply #12 on: July 26, 2020, 07:41:51
« Last Edit: July 26, 2020, 07:44:21 by LePlongeur »
@LePlongeur , 'simple and playful' works best for me.  :) Depending on my time and the particular 'prompt', etc., I'd likely go for one lyric or up to three lyrics in a linked series. As with the 'skirmishes' that I mentioned earlier, I'd view the result(s) more as a draft to work on later rather than a finished product (unless I happened to fine-tune it to my satisfaction during the allotted period).

Main goal: Get something written.  ;)

Donna

Yes, I love it that you are willing to join.
As a rule, my reaction to a prompt is rather quick. If you want to ‘trigger’ a skirmish, announce that you want a skirmish and we’ll see who will raise to the bait.

If you’d ask me, form is completely up to the person posting his/her writing. That includes the choice:
Draft
Finished lyrics
Based on a free form
Based on rules that define a certain type of poetry
Without music, i.e. text only
With music as a complete song
Text only at first with music added later
Write a series of lyrics or complete songs to highlight different aspects of one prompt
Or just one
Etc.
Etc.
Etc.

I would prefer it that somebody who participates, is willing to think up a prompt and post it when invited. But if the person invited indicates that he/she must pass, I say let’s invite someone else.

The only rule I think would be, if someone wants to set music to someone else’s lyrics, please ask for permission. And don’t post it before you have permission to do so.

Hey @Mo are you still with us?
Do you still want to join this? If you observe rules about Sunday’s, or you’ll need more time, I hope you’ll think about this and answer at some point next week?

Thank you both!
Kind regards, Gus

• Mo
  • Rotisseur

• October 28, 2020, 11:22:53
  • more
Reply #13 on: July 26, 2020, 11:03:21

Hey @Mo are you still with us?

Sure @LePlongeur , i will join one or two times and then 'll see how this will work for me :)
Let's go!

• DonMar
  • Poissonier
  • Karma Hunter

• Delft, Netherlands
  • more
Reply #14 on: July 26, 2020, 11:56:33
« Last Edit: July 26, 2020, 11:58:28 by DonMar »
Yes, I love it that you are willing to join.
As a rule, my reaction to a prompt is rather quick. If you want to ‘trigger’ a skirmish, announce that you want a skirmish and we’ll see who will raise to the bait. That sounds straightforward.

This is a good selection of choices. Each participant doing what feels most appropriate for them.

If you’d ask me, form is completely up to the person posting his/her writing. That includes the choice:
Draft
Finished lyrics
Based on a free form
Based on rules that define a certain type of poetry
Without music, i.e. text only
With music as a complete song
Text only at first with music added later
Write a series of lyrics or complete songs to highlight different aspects of one prompt
Or just one
Etc.
Etc.
Etc.

I would prefer it that somebody who participates, is willing to think up a prompt and post it when invited. But if the person invited indicates that he/she must pass, I say let’s invite someone else. Yes, this is straightforward and, in principle, simple to do.

The only rule I think would be, if someone wants to set music to someone else’s lyrics, please ask for permission. And don’t post it before you have permission to do so. Absolutely. The possibility of a collaboration would of course also depend on what type of choice the lyricist or composer made. I presume this would be stated upfront.

Will the question of time - e.g. 2 weeks? 3 weeks? - be determined beforehand or at the time the 'prompt' is announced? And will there be a minimum number of participants required?

Kind regards, Gus
[/quote]