• Executive Chef
  • In Tartiflette we trust

• Today at 14:36:09
    • Greater Amsterdam
  • more
Re: ‘Connecting songs’ by writing them in series
Reply #15 on: July 26, 2020, 15:37:56

Hey @Mo are you still with us?

Sure @LePlongeur , i will join one or two times and then 'll see how this will work for me :)
Let's go!

Ahhhhh.... love the idea. So that makes three of us, A Good start. Let’s see how we can make it work!

To be continue.....
Kind regards, Gus

• LePlongeur
  • Executive Chef

• Greater Amsterdam
  • more
Reply #16 on: July 26, 2020, 17:00:05
Will the question of time - e.g. 2 weeks? 3 weeks? - be determined beforehand or at the time the 'prompt' is announced? And will there be a minimum number of participants required?

@DonMar ’s question.

My idea would be two weeks but if the person invited for the next prompt needs some more time, I don’t really mind. If some more is 1 week extra, that’s fine with me. Don’t know what your ideas are.??
I would welcome a nice and informal creative thingy to kick some ideas around.

@Mo
I can understand your hesitation but I hope you won’t give up on us too early. You’ll be surprise what you can come up with when using different angles or layers. I’m sure you will love it. Really!

So (to the both of you) what do you think. Shall I post an announcement and ask for more people to join in one go?
Please let me know what you think.
Kind regards, Gus

• Mo
  • Rotisseur

• October 23, 2020, 13:44:01
  • more
Reply #17 on: July 26, 2020, 17:22:51

I can understand your hesitation but I hope you won’t give up on us too early. You’ll be surprise what you can come up with when using different angles or layers. I’m sure you will love it. Really!

LOL Gus! Whenver i gave up to any kitchen related?!  :D I'll have my first kitchen birthday soon and im still here and love it all, so what?
Yes, probably you are right and i could like iit, i always like play around with  things even in this case it isn't the 'get a reason to write because i don't know any topic' - reason, i'm more curious. :)  I absolutley convienced by already now, that there are ENDLESS options for lyrics and songs. Thats so amazing,

I just hesitate, because sometimes i misinterpreted some english words  and so I'm not sure if we all on same page when it comes to the how-to do.

Because time: I'm totally fine with everything you'll decide as the initiator. If you ask me directly I would say: One week for just lyrics ( to keeop it interesting and the topic alive) and with sound or production maybe two - three weeks entirely from the time the picture was published.
We'll see if more will attend with  just lyrics and/ or full songs etc and decide new maybe after some time.
I would prefer i shorter period, not every attendee need to attend every week/ month.

Further I think, it would be nice if we could get some disucssions about the results going or something else . Not sure how to do it. Otherwise myself would maybe get a feeling to just produce spam words without any reason to exist longer than just that month.
But well, what do I know? :) Just start an let see what happens! :)

Just one question still:
The origin intention witth that was that everybody rather writes a little series of lyrics to a picture?  But now could be just one lyric? And if more than one all need to have connection with another not just the connection through the picture?

• DonMar
  • Poissonier
  • Karma Hunter

• September 24, 2020, 08:44:13
    • Delft, Netherlands
  • more
Reply #18 on: July 26, 2020, 17:24:28
« Last Edit: July 26, 2020, 17:45:10 by DonMar »
Gus, maybe along the lines of:

- post an announcement;

- call for participants (with a minimum of 5 persons, for instance, to take part in each 'prompt' session);

- indicate that it is NOT a contest but a personal challenge to exercise creativity;

- a prompt may be a photo, a word, a catch phrase, a theme, the title of a book, or a film noir, a character in mythology, a list of connected words or whatever; anything is possible;

- indicate the time constraint (e.g. 3 weeks from the time the prompt has been posted);

- provide the list of category selections (as indicated in this thread); each person can state the category they have chosen when they post
  their lyric, song, or instrumental;

- a prompt will be provided as soon as the minimum number of participants has indicated interest;

- one person from each session will be asked to provide the prompt for the following session.

Just a suggestion, as a way to help get all the ducks in a row. :)
-------------------------------------------------------------------
@Mo you posted this.

Further I think, it would be nice if we could get some disucssions about the results going or something else . Not sure how to do it. Otherwise myself would maybe get a feeling to just produce spam words without any reason to exist longer than just that month.
But well, what do I know? :) Just start an let see what happens! :) That's a good point. Maybe at the end of each session, participants could discuss each other's submissions, maybe talk about how the prompt motivated them, or people's approach to the lyrics or songs they wrote. Just a thought. :)
Just one question still:
The origin intention witth that was that everybody rather writes a little series of lyrics to a picture?  But now could be just one lyric? And if more than one all need to have connection with another not just the connection through the picture?  In the list of selections it's indicated that people can choose to write one lyric or a series. My own feeling is that the first lyric would of course need to refer back in some way to the prompt, but the following lyrics would not need to do so unless the writer chose. Although they possibly would in any case, since they'd be spin-offs from the first lyric. Anyway, that's just one perspective.
Honour the earth. Without It, we'd be nowhere. - D.D.

• Dutchbeat
  • Administrator
  • Michelin Starred Chef
  • If you can stand the Beat, get into the Kitchen!

• Today at 21:31:57
  • more
Reply #19 on: July 26, 2020, 19:27:46
hi @leplonguer @DonMar @Mo , i would be very in for this idea of "prompt writing"...would be great as an inspirational input, and i like the idea that everybody is free to choose whatever form they want in creating something in response to the prompt  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: , song lyrics, songs, drafts of songs....or just words, or....making a photo even ?? to match the prompt

me, myself, and Pie

• DonMar
  • Poissonier
  • Karma Hunter

• Delft, Netherlands
  • more
Reply #20 on: July 26, 2020, 19:37:58
hi @leplonguer @DonMar @Mo , i would be very in for this idea of "prompt writing"...would be great as an inspirational input, and i like the idea that everybody is free to choose whatever form they want in creating something in response to the prompt  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: , song lyrics, songs, drafts of songs....or just words, or....making a photo even ?? to match the prompt
@Dutchbeat , I think a photo - perhaps even a series - would also qualify. :)  Maybe even in connection with the lyric, song, or whatever. Unlimited possibilities. :)

• Mo
  • Rotisseur

• more
Reply #21 on: July 26, 2020, 19:54:29

Hi @DonMar
thank you for answering my questions!  :D

i would be very in for this idea of "prompt writing"..
Cool @Dutchbeat  8) 8) :)

I like all kind of inputs too.
Maybe its an option everybody throw their things ( the roughly, drafted) in ,after lets say a week.  because the thing calls 'prompt writing' Then someone may grab something of the others and build on it in case their is a spark of new inspiration through the others whats then need to presented the next one or two weeks. Beside other if  some more advanced , in sense of a more  advanced song productions?  Or itsto complex for  just a  few attendees  an the beginning ?  ::Bones::
Btw it wouldn't mind me if there just would be three or four persons  to start.

• DonMar
  • Poissonier
  • Karma Hunter

• Delft, Netherlands
  • more
Reply #22 on: July 26, 2020, 19:59:26

Hi @DonMar
thank you for answering my questions!  :D

i would be very in for this idea of "prompt writing"..
Cool @Dutchbeat  8) 8) :)

I like all kind of inputs too.
Maybe its an option everybody throw their things ( the roughly, drafted) in ,after lets say a week.  because the thing calls 'prompt writing' Then someone may grab something of the others and build on it in case their is a spark of new inspiration through the others whats then need to presented the next one or two weeks. Sounds good, @Mo . That way - in principle - there'd be an ongoing flow of activity. Not a bad thing during this period when folks are trying to keep their minds off things that are less pleasant. ;)

Beside other if  some more advanced , in sense of a more  advanced song productions?  Or itsto complex for  just a  few attendees  an the beginning ?  ::Bones::
Btw it wouldn't mind me if there just would be three or four persons  to start.  Sure. there can be a consensus on that. ;)

• LePlongeur
  • Executive Chef

• Greater Amsterdam
  • more
Reply #23 on: July 27, 2020, 07:23:51
Yes
@Mo
@DonMar
@Dutchbeat
The way I look at it, we can start this when it’s still smallish. Why not? The best way to show people who are still not convinced. The best way to get them as enthusiastic as me, is by showing how much fun it is.

And there’s no reason why having fun cannot be taken seriously!

And I think that’s the element we must try and keep. No arms length intellectual discussion, just having fun and kick some ideas around.

Do I notice that don mar mentioned a period of three weeks recurring?
I have no preference. How about you @Mo and @Dutchbeat ? Now that it’s still small we can set the pace.
Love it, that it catches on so easily.
Kind regards, Gus

• Dutchbeat
  • Administrator
  • Michelin Starred Chef
  • If you can stand the Beat, get into the Kitchen!

• Today at 21:31:57
  • more
Reply #24 on: July 27, 2020, 17:00:00
hi @LePlongeur

@Mo @DonMar ...and others who will join in....  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

what if a "writing prompt"" is provided every two weeks, and everyone who feels like it can create something inspired by that writing prompt whenever they want and add it to the prompt....anytime

but that a new writing prompt is provided each two weeks, just to get the creative juices going? anybody can join in to any writing prompt at any time, but there is a new inspirational input / prompt each two weeks in this, or separate threads...?

btw i tag the minimods of the kitchen here: @Bill from November Sound @MrBouzouki @oorlab @Mar T.  , so they are informed about this intiative

i like it, so let me know when you drop your first prompt @LePlongeur   :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

• DonMar
  • Poissonier
  • Karma Hunter

• Delft, Netherlands
  • more
Reply #25 on: July 27, 2020, 17:02:07
hi @LePlongeur

@Mo @DonMar ...and others who will join in....  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

what if a "writing prompt"" is provided every two weeks, and everyone who feels like it can create something inspired by that writing prompt whenever they want and add it to the prompt....anytime

but that a new writing prompt is provided each two weeks, just to get the creative juices going? anybody can join in to any writing prompt at any time, but there is a new inspirational input / prompt each two weeks in this, or separate threads...?

btw i tag the minimods of the kitchen here: @Bill from November Sound @MrBouzouki @oorlab @Mar T.  , so they are informed about this intiative

i like it, so let me know when you drop your first prompt @LePlongeur   :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

That sounds good too, @Dutchbeat . :)

• Mo
  • Rotisseur

• more
Reply #26 on: July 29, 2020, 09:48:32
[

That sounds good too, @Dutchbeat . :)

it does, @Dutchbeat , @DonMar , @LePlongeur   :D :ok: :ok:

I just want make one think sure, when i will write a 'series' or whatever I want have the freedom to write about everything. This includes light an darkness and all twilightzones. Potentially this could be extreme.... It doesn't will mean its autobiographical. I know the most ppl here think if someone writes a lyric this is without doubt autobiographical, thats wrong and I get a bit tired to explain that ( PMs also)  So I mention it here again in expection of what to come, means I can't help it if someone don't get the difference or get iot personally wrong
. :) Sorry it was suddenly a need to mention  that at this point.

• DonMar
  • Poissonier
  • Karma Hunter

• Delft, Netherlands
  • more
Reply #27 on: July 29, 2020, 10:37:47
« Last Edit: July 29, 2020, 10:41:23 by DonMar »
@Mo , that's a good point, and worth mentioning. :)

I'm often amazed - even amused - when people assume that what I write reflects my own immediate experience or views.
(Sometimes it does, of course, but equally often it's either a combination of fact and fantasy or is entirely fantasy. After all, as a lyricist, my task is to create stories, whether based on my own or others' experiences, or on entirely fictional scenarios.

I remember one time I wrote a very dark, heavy, death-metal lyric. It was a first-time thing, and I'd simply wanted to see whether I could create something in that genre. I was laughing hard while writing the lyric, making it as dark and extreme and exaggerated as I could.

A day or two later, a friend in Germany - who'd happened to see the lyric on the site to which I'd posted it - emailed to express her great concern, and invited me to visit for a week or two so that I could relax and 'get out of the depression'. I assured her I was perfectly fine, and that the lyric had simply been a writing exercise.

(Of course,  I believe there's always an element of the writer's own feelings/experience in a lyric, even if it's only in one or two lines; this adds to the authenticity.)

Novels (fiction) seem to be accepted as being wholly of the writer's imagination. But for some reason, songwriters aren't generally viewed in the same way. Maybe it's because we're 'descendants' of troubadours who, in centuries past, spread real news from village to village, or sang of their own feelings (usually love songs to a 'lady fair' ;).)

So, yes. The freedom to write 'light' or 'dark' or anywhere in between should be self-evident. :)

• Mo
  • Rotisseur

• more
Reply #28 on: July 29, 2020, 10:46:57
@DonMar
  Exactly! You totally hit the nail with every of  your words!  :)  I'm relieved, you see it similar
To me its an new experience that ppl come to me and offer their help to get out of an 'obviously depression! or kind of that. Thats nice but not necessary  ;D
would love to hear or read your dark death metal lyric, I bet I would have fun to do similar either!! If you'll find it please post it!  ::dj::

• LePlongeur
  • Executive Chef

• Greater Amsterdam
  • more
Reply #29 on: July 29, 2020, 12:20:18
I haven’t posted a ‘prompt writing is here to stay’ thing yet, because i want to introduce it as clear and short as possible. And this thing about autobiographical or not is one of the things I would like to point out from the start.
I think it’s fair to ask for some restraints where the choice of subject or prompt is concerned. That’s only fair.
But after that, all the participants are 100% free to use the prompt the way they want to.

By way of prompt writing on my own (and also by way of example) I posted the ‘wees onaardig’ series and the ‘huil, bid etc’ series to show that these originated from a prompt. And that it is a tool to get you started plus bring a sort of connection between each part of the series.

So:
- the series start automatically because we write are prompted by the same prompt
- everyone of us has the option to write one or more things concerning the prompt
- if you write more than one, you write an individual series within the collective one

The same goes for the form in which each individual will write stylistically.
Empathy is a key factor here.
I personally don’t care for large analysis of what is written. The fun is to do it and to be compelled to write about things you normally won’t give much thought about. And to discover what other Kitcheners have made of the same prompt.

We are all story tellers. And need our freedom to do so.
Good question @Mo
@DonMar @Dutchbeat

Kind regards, Gus