• Michael
  • Rotisseur
  • Music Addict

• December 29, 2020, 11:24:18
    • Switzerland
  • more
So much noise!
on: November 17, 2020, 10:55:27
I hope this isn't the wrong sub-forum for this topic.

Last week I switched to a new PC, excitedly transferring files and installing software, eager to fire up the ol' DAW to see how it copes...
Only to discover that my speakers were producing sooo much static noise and crackling with the new set-up  :-\

After a lot of internet research I think the problem might be a 'ground loop' - the static is there as soon as the audio interface is plugged into the PC USB socket, even if the interface itself is not connected to its power supply.
Switching to balanced cables (1/4 inch to XLR) between the audio interface and the speakers removed a lot, but not all of the noise. Has anyone had any experience with shielded cables?

I am grateful for any and all hints or  ideas!  :)

• Dutchbeat
  • Administrator
  • Michelin Starred Chef
  • If you can stand the Beat, get into the Kitchen!

• Yesterday at 20:04:58
  • more
Re: So much noise!
Reply #1 on: November 18, 2020, 20:24:09
I hope this isn't the wrong sub-forum for this topic.

Last week I switched to a new PC, excitedly transferring files and installing software, eager to fire up the ol' DAW to see how it copes...
Only to discover that my speakers were producing sooo much static noise and crackling with the new set-up  :-\

After a lot of internet research I think the problem might be a 'ground loop' - the static is there as soon as the audio interface is plugged into the PC USB socket, even if the interface itself is not connected to its power supply.
Switching to balanced cables (1/4 inch to XLR) between the audio interface and the speakers removed a lot, but not all of the noise. Has anyone had any experience with shielded cables?

I am grateful for any and all hints or  ideas!  :)

Hi @Michael, perhaps Budhabuilding knows the answer to your question
he knows a lot about these things...let me try to call him for you... @budhabuilding !!!
me, myself, and Pie

Reply #2 on: November 18, 2020, 21:48:43
I have some problems with this too @Michael

.... still do ....

See what you have for a graphics fan and power supply fan.

I switched out my power supply and it helped.
Bill
Songwriter, Keyboards, Arranger, Producer & Engineer for November Sound

November Sound is based on the Mother, Father & Son musical trio of Melissa, Bill & Will. I'm the father so anything I post will have my wife singing and/or my son playing percussion.

• MrBouzouki
  • Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
  • "Let the Creators Create" :-)

• January 12, 2021, 19:12:29
    • Sheffield, UK
    • https://www.facebook.com/Mr.Bouzouki.Music/ https://www.youtube.com/user/MisterBouzouki https://soundcloud.com/mrbouzouki
  • more
Reply #3 on: November 18, 2020, 22:02:49
HI @Michael ... its true shielded cables can help lessen issues from electromagnetic troubles.  Typically tip / ring / sleeve 1/4 " jacks or XLR. They use the outer braid as a ground to help shield the current carrying conductors.  This is particularly important over long lengths of cable like used on stage etc, but also anywhere where there might be electromagnetic interference.

A ground loop is a different thing I believe as it's a result of multiple paths to ground.
I'm not sure of where you are in the World so just what your earthing details are, it varies from country to country.

The new PC actually sounds like the culprit here if it's the only thing in your setup that has changed.

Can you do basic tests like connect the old one, if you still have it. If you can do the problems disappear ?

Is the audio interface new too ?

It's worthwhile trying to isolate the problem with systematic testing.

Does the PC playback audio via onboard motherboard connections OK via headphones or speakers.

If you can give us a bit more detail of your setup and connectivity people might be able to give you more support.  ::thumb::

"Love and Life is all about connections"

Reply #4 on: November 23, 2020, 19:30:40
HI @Michael,

I have/had a lot of recording setups.

These are some strange things that i had to fix....

1> Problem: Ground loop, buzzing most of the time 50 or 100 or 200 hz
Solved by just using one thing that is grounded and the rest is connected together. So no ground loop.
My favorite is to ground the computer or the amp for the monitors. the rest are the grounds not connected.
Also not between equipment.

2> Problem: Static noise 1
Solved by not using powerline anymore (internet over power)
(This was my latest problem)

3> Problem: Static noise 2
Solved by using a different videocard drivers for gforce video card.... (creator drivers)

4> Problem: Static noise 3
Solved by not combining external harddisk with the same internal motherboard usb hub with soundcard.

5> Problem:Static noise 4
Solved by  using a usb isolator
Please make sure you buy the right one.

6> Problem: Ground noise mic
Solved by using a xlr cable with ground connected to connector...
So connection pin 1 is also connected to the shield of the connector.

7> Problem: Static noise 5
Solved by using a better quiet and stable power supply inside of my computer

Just some solutions...

Hope it helps.

Greetings

Hans aka Budha Building
Just set all my solo  music free at https://budhabuilding.bandcamp.com

• Monty Cash Music
  • Rotisseur

• December 14, 2020, 09:27:09
    • inside the atomic fabric of a page, only when it is turning
  • more
Reply #5 on: November 26, 2020, 01:01:59
« Last Edit: November 26, 2020, 01:12:11 by Monty Cash Music »
@Michael

Obviously this solution is limited but here it goes...

I love the simplicity of a Zoom H4n, H5 or a self-contained multi-track unit. It's completely isolated so you get no interference and you can plug whatever you want into it.

Then transfer the files to your computer do the editing on your DAW and if you want to go back to recording just make a mix and put it back on your Zoom.

It's a handy solution if you're a traveller or if you don't have a lot of money to constantly buy and then test new power supplies and also if you are not as tech savvy as some. At least until you figure out exactly what's going on... which could last an indefinite amount of time.  :doublebonk:

You probably just want to get your computer working properly so my advice becomes irrelevant.

Look! A passing butterfly!  :nopompom:  :sleepy: ???
Find updates on my travels and music on http://peakd.com/@montycashmusic

• Michael
  • Rotisseur
  • Music Addict

• December 29, 2020, 11:24:18
    • Switzerland
  • more
Reply #6 on: November 27, 2020, 17:58:51
Thank you @Dutchbeat @Bill from November Sound @MrBouzouki @budhabuilding and @Monty Cash Music for your suggestions!

The only thing new in the setup is the PC, the rest is unchanged. I do believe the new PC's power supply unit and a resulting ground loop are the cause.
Managed to fix it for now with balanced 1/4 cables and a new power strip that supplies all the devices instead of multiple smaller ones.

I really hope it won't return, but if it does, this thread still offers a bunch of great ideas to deal with unwanted noise. Very grateful for the support, guys :)

Reply #7 on: December 01, 2020, 01:19:01
Ground loops can happen with AC current when you plug into different circuits. You'll hear 60 cycle hum in the US.

Noise can also be because of a bad ground, poor shielding, a defect in the equipment, or a bad cord. 

My guess would be a bad cable. If you are not using shielded cables, you'll get hum.

Try a different  USB port.
Create!

xx
SoundSoap Noise reduction program

Started by Vince on The kitchen café

5 Replies
Last post February 05, 2019, 18:21:06
by Vince