• To those who struggle with mix/production...
  • Started by Jambrains
  • Jambrains
  • Chef de Partie
  • You ain't seen nothing yet..

• March 27, 2020, 09:31:13
  • more
To those who struggle with mix/production...
on: November 25, 2017, 10:50:33
as I do....

There is hope, practice do make a difference.
Just finished remixing an old track I did 2 years ago, here is a playlist with both versions for comparison and the difference should be obvious (i hope.. ;D)

So as you struggle, just keep pushing, you will get forward even if the road may be long and winding

https://soundcloud.com/jambrains/sets/prison/s-dUple

PS: to be honest I did re-track a few things so it is not 100% just a remix but I'd say 90% of the improvement is in the mix.
Let man's petty nations tear themselves apart
My land's only borders lie around my heart

• oorlab
  • Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
  • savoir vivre

• Yesterday at 23:44:12
    • netherlands
    • https://twitter.com/oorlab https://soundcloud.com/oorlab
  • more
Re: To those who struggle with mix/production...
Reply #1 on: November 25, 2017, 11:31:46
interesting subject. Always wondered what the meaning of "remix" could be. Sometimes it seems like a total rerecording of all musical elements except possibly a few snippets of the original vocals.
In the narrower sense it would be reworking the relative loudnesses of the separate stems.
With remixing 'fresh ears' are always useful. two years sounds like a fine refreshing period :-)
recommending https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/How_Music_Works "How music works", book by David Byrne.

• Leonard Scaper
  • Global Moderator
  • Executive Chef
  • Guest Chef

• March 28, 2020, 23:21:00
    • Terra Firma
  • more
Reply #2 on: November 25, 2017, 11:41:37
Wow.......a serious improvement between mixes in my opinion. Each element in that second mix now has its own subtle space. Everything speaks better. I really like what you did with the guitars in the second mix. As the hot guitarist that you are it really shows some mixing maturity to be able to place them further back in the mix like that to give the other elements the space they need.  ;)

The mix does not sound as loud to me but it has much better overall presence and is easier to listen to.

This is a great topic! I know that we are all about songwriting here but it is important for folks to realize that they will get and keep more listeners if they present mixes that are easy to listen to and even compelling. That only comes with time and lots of practice.
"The main thing is to have a gutsy approach....but use your head." Julia Child

"In a world of robotic conformity, the only originality left in music is the imperfections" Eric Craptone

"Special thanks to Steve Gleason for making me who I am today." Leonard Scaper

Lenny's Tunes: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_music.cfm?bandID=540680

https://soundcloud.com/vincentgleason

• MichaelA
  • Chef de Partie
  • Songwriting Addict

• August 31, 2019, 23:25:43
    • Somewhere near Liverpool, UK
    • HTTPS//:soundcloud.com/Michael-a-duffy
  • more
Reply #3 on: November 25, 2017, 13:01:13
Yeah, what a noted difference in the clarity and spacing between the two tracks. OK, there is hope for me still, thanks!  ;D

Just as a side note, that lead guitar - well if you could make a heavy guitar sound that is most imitating of Shane Macgowan's voice, then this would be it - gravelled, rasping, passionate, raw, and all that!  ;) Great sound! (Although you probably didn't want to hear that!)
If you like novels with a musical theme, why not try 'Sixth Beatle - When Music Changed The World', easily found on Amazon and Google. It is amazing, although as the author I may be biased!

• Jambrains
  • Chef de Partie

• more
Reply #4 on: November 25, 2017, 13:11:04
Yeah, what a noted difference in the clarity and spacing between the two tracks. OK, there is hope for me still, thanks!  ;D

Just as a side note, that lead guitar - well if you could make a heavy guitar sound that is most imitating of Shane Macgowan's voice, then this would be it - gravelled, rasping, passionate, raw, and all that!  ;) Great sound! (Although you probably didn't want to hear that!)

Arghhhh! First they compare my vox to Shane's and now my guitar tone!!
What next? Compare looks?  :D :D :D :D :D
I have truly had my fair share of the curse of Shane MacGowan, anyone have the number to a good exorcist?  :) :) :) :)

• MichaelA
  • Chef de Partie
  • Songwriting Addict

• August 31, 2019, 23:25:43
    • Somewhere near Liverpool, UK
    • HTTPS//:soundcloud.com/Michael-a-duffy
  • more
Reply #5 on: November 25, 2017, 13:37:28
Sorry everyone, I think @Jambrains has just topped himself. And it could well be my fault!  ;)

Reply #6 on: November 25, 2017, 15:09:16
This is great encouragement @Jambrains ! Thanks for posting this.
A remarkable improvement in clarity can be heard! (and the older version is not bad at all.)
Bill
Songwriter, Keyboards, Arranger, Producer & Engineer for November Sound

November Sound is based on the Mother, Father & Son musical trio of Melissa, Bill & Will. I'm the father so anything I post will have my wife singing and/or my son playing percussion.

Reply #7 on: November 27, 2017, 02:44:26
Hey @Jambrains , this is very inspiring and very interesting to me.

I'm certainly not asking you to give away free advice but.... would you say the improvement was more because of better use of EQ? More EQ? Less EQ? More Compression? Less Compression?

I mean just very generally could you say where most of the improvement came from?

• Leonard Scaper
  • Global Moderator
  • Executive Chef
  • Guest Chef

• March 28, 2020, 23:21:00
    • Terra Firma
  • more
Reply #8 on: November 27, 2017, 12:54:11
I mean just very generally could you say where most of the improvement came from?

Yes @Jambrains .....I'd also like to know what you were up to with these improvements. I am NOT shy about asking for free advice!  ;D

• Jambrains
  • Chef de Partie

• more
Reply #9 on: November 27, 2017, 13:24:26

Yes @Jambrains .....I'd also like to know what you were up to with these improvements. I am NOT shy about asking for free advice!  ;D

@Leonard Scaper & @Bill from November Sound : I have no problem sharing info, just give me a day or two to write up something. Unfortunately I think the answer to all Bill''s questions will be: Yes! Many small moves adding up...